Blood's out, rat-a-tat

Jules

Former Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
By every account, the New Year's Day 2005 fight between inmates and guards at Bayside State Prison was terrifying, with broomsticks and clothing irons used as weapons and blood splattering the floor and walls.

But inmates and guards tell vastly different stories about the scope of the fight and what happened after it ended. Guards say they were attacked by unruly inmates in a prison riot. Inmates allege the guards abused them after the fight was over.

"All of us got beat up. You hear me? Everybody down there got beat up. A lot of people didn't have nothing to do with it got beat up," inmate Ernie Ford said in a telephone interview from New Jersey State Prison in Trenton, where he was moved after the Bayside fight. Ford, serving five years for dealing in drugs and fake drivers' licenses, was found guilty of the prison charge of disruptive conduct.

Guards and prisoners agree that the fight began when 25-year-old convicted drug dealer Omar McCray, who was indicted for his alleged role in the fight, was stopped at the entrance to a unit where inmates live in open pods rather than locked cells. Guards took away contraband chicken he was carrying and, within minutes, guards and inmates were fighting.

Guards said McCray called for help from members of the Bloods gang, yelling "Bloods out, rat-a-tat, Bloods out." Guards radioed a distress signal and 54 officers poured in from other parts of the prison.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/LAW/12/31/prison.brawl.ap/index.html

You couldn't pay me enough to be a guard in a prison. I give those that are a HUGE hand. They certainly put their lives at risk every day they work.

"All of us got beat up. You hear me? Everybody down there got beat up. A lot of people didn't have nothing to do with it got beat up," inmate Ernie Ford said in a telephone interview from New Jersey State Prison in Trenton, where he was moved after the Bayside fight. Ford, serving five years for dealing in drugs and fake drivers' licenses, was found guilty of the prison charge of disruptive conduct.

Of coarse they all got beat up.I really do believe the guards just had a boring day and decided to attack a few prisoners for no reason.I also believe that all prisoners are innocent and they are in jail only to satisfy the sick fetishes of a criminal State....Of coarse I am also sarcastic as all get......LMAO

Not having been there, it's hard to say exactly what happened. Isn't it just possible, however, that individuals working in a high stress environment did possibly over react? I'm not excusing the cause for the melee but it seems to me that once things get rolling sometimes they keep on rolling in the wrong direction.

Don't :slap: me too hard.

The inmates do not deny starting the riot.Why would guards start it anyway?Of coarse the inmates were abused...THEY LOST the fight....LOL.Now if they wanted to dodge abuse wouldn't it make a lot more sense to obey the rules than to start a riot?But then again if they actually obeyed rules they might no be in prison to start with ....Would they?

Oh I'm not arguing with you that the prisoners started it... nor am I arguing that they are in prison because of their own actions. All I meant was that sometimes in the heat of the moment things are said (and done) which might not normally happen. To me the article is a fair request to look at all sides without assuming anything.

McCray evidently disobeyed the rules by having a :chicken: . Too bad it put everyone else in jeopardy!

Scandi

gamegirl said:
Oh I'm not arguing with you that the prisoners started it... nor am I arguing that they are in prison because of their own actions. All I meant was that sometimes in the heat of the moment things are said (and done) which might not normally happen. To me the article is a fair request to look at all sides without assuming anything.
Oh yes I agree the article is fair.I just can't personally overlook the simple fact that 99.9% of all claims by cons ARE cons.The more realistic interpretation of the inmate claims would be:

"We started a fight and got our *advertiser censored**es kicked .We were abused"

By claiming abuse they in turn recieve the pity of liberals who are convinced and would try to convince SANE people that cons are really great guys abused by a fascist State with no regards for their humanity.

I'm not sure that my inmate father would have agreed with you that the false claim percentage is THAT high.... but even he would admit that the prison population is sue happy. Doesn't seem to take much these days (prisoner or no) for folks to feel "entitled" to claim damage.

LMAO most likely if an inmate did agree with me I would think he was trying to con me...No offense

proadvocate said:
LMAO most likely if an inmate did agree with me I would think he was trying to con me...No offense
Hehe None taken.

I think we all agree that it was a riot and it was started by the prisoners. I do not believe that only 4 prisoners were involved, 4 prisoners did not hurt 49 officers. I believe the officials are downplaying it. So, prisoners started it, prisoners were at fault and should be punished.

Now....I also believe that prisioners were abused afterward. These officers had large numbers of their fellow officers hurt, I am sure during the riot they were concerned for their lives, very high stress situation. I can see them afterwards being very angry at the prisoners and I am sure that some of them probably did do these things alluded to. Not far fetched at all. We know it happens. I dont think it is right, but then again, no one said prison was gonna be or should be like a stay in a resort. Should have thought of that before they commited a crime.

lostfaith said:
I think we all agree that it was a riot and it was started by the prisoners. I do not believe that only 4 prisoners were involved, 4 prisoners did not hurt 49 officers. I believe the officials are downplaying it. So, prisoners started it, prisoners were at fault and should be punished.

Now....I also believe that prisioners were abused afterward. These officers had large numbers of their fellow officers hurt, I am sure during the riot they were concerned for their lives, very high stress situation. I can see them afterwards being very angry at the prisoners and I am sure that some of them probably did do these things alluded to. Not far fetched at all. We know it happens. I dont think it is right, but then again, no one said prison was gonna be or should be like a stay in a resort. Should have thought of that before they commited a crime.
I would be inclined to agree with ya to a point.The retaliatory actions of the guards would not however be termed abuse,they are more properly termed..."Well Deserved"I strongly believe that guards should be armed at all times when dealing with these animals,and would have no problems with a shoot to kill policy.Afterall dead inmates don't whine about their just rewards.You close with the most valid point possible in regards to the trivial whines of the animals...." Should have thought of that before they commited a crime."

I suspect the criminals consider the typical treatment used to secure someone who is fighting the handcuffs and such as abuse. I also always remember what I read in "Never stand close to a naked man" - that semi-biographical book by the Tim Taylor guy (not sure if that is his real name - the Tim the tool man taylor from that TV show) - that prisons are the home of denial - everyone there is in complete denial. "Well, yeah, I went into that bank with a gun and a mask on, but I didn't expect them to get all crazy about it!" - no one did what they are charged with, they're all innocent, or it's not their fault, not their responsiblity.

Can't say I'd find most anything from them credible - as much as I do know that it is true that guards have sometimes done illegal and wrong things to prisoners - it's a tough job. But still, the prisoners lie, a ton, so I don't believe what they say without a lot of backup.

None of this need have happened if the Bloods had just ignored the request to help the Chicken guy.

Excellent post Details,it is nice to hear a voice of reason at times.

gamegirl said:
Not having been there, it's hard to say exactly what happened. Isn't it just possible, however, that individuals working in a high stress environment did possibly over react? I'm not excusing the cause for the melee but it seems to me that once things get rolling sometimes they keep on rolling in the wrong direction.

Don't :slap: me too hard.
When he calls out for GANG support? No, I do not believe it was the guards GOING IN THE WRONG DIRECTION! :croc:

scandi said:
McCray evidently disobeyed the rules by having a :chicken: . Too bad it put everyone else in jeopardy!

Scandi
LOL Scandi!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DazzelleShafer