Identified! IL - Markham, BlkFem, 9 mos-2 yrs, in burned vacant house, Jul'17 - Ana Marie Townsend *arrest*

Gardener1850

Timeline Guru (Still Remembering Cupcake)
Reaction score
[h=1]Child found dead in Markham fire was black girl younger than 2[/h]
screen-shot-2017-07-21-at-11-42-56-am.png

The body of a baby pulled from the wreckage of a fire at a vacant south suburban home earlier this month remains unidentified, but appears to be that of a black girl younger than 2.

The fire broke out before 6 a.m. July 3 at a vacant home in the 15400 block of Hamlin in Markham, according to Markham Police Chief Mack Sanders.

The baby, listed as “baby Jane Doe” because no one has come forward to claim her remains, has yet to be identified, according to the Cook County medical examiner’s office, which is trying to identify her.
On Friday, the medical examiner’s office said that autopsy findings and a radiology examination have “determined the deceased is a black female whose age is estimated from around 9 months up to about 2 years old.”

17-10366clothesofbjddraft3.jpg

http://chicago.suntimes.com/news/child-found-dead-in-markham-fire-was-black-girl-younger-than-2/

It is a heat wave, why would this baby have been wearing all this hot clothing? Poor wee thing. I hope our amazing folks who work in unidentified are able to help give this little one back her name.

Although it can't speak to all the clothing pictured, I have a 2.5 month old daughter and she wears the same Carter's brand long sleeved, footed onesie everyday despite the hot weather. Since we have AC, it's cool in our home and it's advised not to allow blankets, pillows, or stuffed toys in the crib to prevent SIDs. Therefore she wears these onesies in place of having blankets. We only change her into short sleeved, legless onesies when we leave the house. Not sure what the circumstances were for this little girl, but perhaps it's something similar.

RIP, sweet little one ❤️

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Could she have been placed there much earlier? Being in the attic seems to indicate that the body was hidden.

That garanimals thing with the elephants looks like it was within the past few years. But the blanket looks old.

Garanimals brand clothes are sold at Walmart. I think the best chance of identifying this poor baby girl will be someone recognizing that doll blanket that is more unique than the rest of the items. I'm sure no one has reported her missing yet since it was most likely a parent or guardian who did this.

The blanket looks like a vintage raggedy Andy from possibly the 70s or 80s, maybe handmade.

Vintage, I agree.

Not exactly Raggedy Andy, though. My Mom used to sew & would make RAnn & RAndy in 3 sizes. The image just isn't quite Andy.

(I have her patterns, and just might get those out. Yesterday was the anniversary of her internment. :sigh: )

Vintage, I agree.

Not exactly Raggedy Andy, though. My Mom used to sew & would make RAnn & RAndy in 3 sizes. The image just isn't quite Andy.

(I have her patterns, and just might get those out. Yesterday was the anniversary of her internment. :sigh: )
I agree. It looks like a nonspecific rag doll. My mom made me a bunch of raggedy Ann and Andy stuff, too. Hugs to you, Laughing. I miss my mama, too.

This case is so heartbreaking.

Glad to see you here, Flourish!

Wish the artist had shown more toddler-like teeth on our girl.

Looks like this house is on 15481 Hamlin Ave. Checked it out on Zillow. The neighborhood is pretty rural looking. It doesn't seem like an area someone would just randomly end up in who wasn't familiar with the area. Also, the house had been for sale at the time. I'm thinking whoever did this was familiar with the area and knew the house was on the market and vacant. Probably some even living in the area??

This is someone's baby, somebody gave birth to her. I wonder what the story behind it all is, it's heartbreaking that this beautiful baby is being denied her name, her identity. She was someone.

Markham Baby Namus information

NamUs UP # 16867

Case number ME2017-03057
Date found July 03, 2017

Estimated age Infant
Race Unsure
Sex Unsure
Weight (pounds) 15, Measured
Height (inches) 28, Measured

Body conditions: Not recognizable - Charred/burned
Circumstances: Found in single story residence

Fingerprints Status: Fingerprint information is currently not available