GUILTY TX - Eight bodies found in trailer in San Antonio, 23 July 2017

This is terrible but what is just as terrible are the comments after the news article. Mind boggling.

This is awful. Those who organised and participated need to be found NOW.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

I wonder if any of the deceased are missing people/children cases. Ugh. So horrible.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

This is terrible but what is just as terrible are the comments after the news article. Mind boggling.
Horrible. They haven't even said who the victims were. Yet everyone is assuming they are illegals? Agreed, mind boggling.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

17 critical now

heart rates at 130BPM

Driver arrested

people seen on video fleeing the truck--and vehicles were seen picking up others driving off

msnbc

don't know how long the truck had been there

I am a bit vague on how they were found initially, -- anyone?

Texas tragedy: 8 dead among dozens found inside hot truck in suspected smuggling case

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...xas-9am:homepage/story&utm_term=.1c70a82dc275

“They discovered an alien smuggling venture gone horribly wrong. Eight immigrants were found dead,” U.S. Attorney Richard Durbin wrote in a statement released by federal immigration authorities on Sunday morning. “All were victims of ruthless human smugglers indifferent to the well-being of their fragile cargo.”

Police Chief William McManus did not go quite so far when he spoke to reporters gathered before dawn. But he said his homicide detective would work with federal immigration authorities to determine “the origin of this horrific tragedy.”

17 critical now

heart rates at 130BPM

Driver arrested

people seen on video fleeing the truck

Lots of it makes no sense. But, the reports I read said someone got out of the trailer and asked a Walmart employee for water.

How they got out wasn't reported.

ETA:
At some point, somehow, one of the passengers got out of the trailer and asked a Walmart employee for water.

17 critical now

heart rates at 130BPM

Driver arrested

people seen on video fleeing the truck--and vehicles were seen picking up others driving off

msnbc

This same thing happened several years ago, IIRC. It wasn't fully investigated at that time, just arresting the driver, etc.

The people seen on camera picking up people from the trailer is suspicious. If these were people who had relatives in the US already, they would be able to enter the US legally, right? I think DHS needs to look into whether there are businesses in the US who are paying to have groups of people brought in for cheap illegal labor.

JMO, if they follow the money trail far enough, they'll find some big businesses playing a role. Let's say a contractor who supplies workers/service to a chain of retail stores, produce warehouses, etc. takes orders for workers and brings them to the US. After arrival, a phone calls are made and the various business partners in the scheme arrive to pick up however many workers they need.

Here's a link to a recent Pew Research Center study

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2017/03/02/what-we-know-about-illegal-immigration-from-mexico/

Having access to a semi-truck, getting across the border and distributing workers from a parking lot in the US just seems like the operation is more organized and funded than random trafficking. This is probably going on every day in the US.

There used to be laws and stiff monetary penalties against businesses who employed these workers, precisely to prevent these kinds of tragedies. They don't seem to be enforced much anymore.

ETA: Here's a link to another Pew research report showing the states where most of these workers are going: California, Texas, Florida, New York, New Jersey, Nevada, Kansas, Illinois, Georgia, Alabama & North Carolina.

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2017/04/27/5-facts-about-illegal-immigration-in-the-u-s/

I'm guessing many of these are agricultural workers, also manufacturing, etc. But when you see states like Nevada, New York, etc. it seems more like people working in hotels, restaurants, retail, etc.

ETA: Here's a link to an article about "legal" migrant workers in Illinois who work summers detassling corn. Their housing conditions are poor, but paid for my Monsanto. They sleep on dirty mattresses on concrete floors in an old hospital located at the former Chanute Air Force Base.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/busin...-corn-detassling-0807-biz-20160805-story.html

One of the deadliest human smuggling since 2003, which is also in Texas. It happened in Victoria, Texas.

Truck driver re-sentenced to nearly 34 years in federal prison for his role in the deaths of 19 illegal aliens in Victoria, TX, in 2003
https://www.ice.gov/news/releases/t...ars-federal-prison-his-role-deaths-19-illegal

HOUSTON - The driver of the insulated tractor trailer used in a smuggling operation which left 19 aliens dead in the deadliest smuggling operation ever in the district was re-sentenced on Monday to 33 years and nine months imprisonment without the possibility of parole, announced U.S. Attorney José Angel Moreno, Southern District of Texas. The investigation was conducted by the Houston, San Antonio, Harlingen, Brownsville and McAllen, Texas, offices of U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement's (ICE) Homeland Security Investigations (HSI).

Tyrone Mapletoft Williams, 40, was re-sentenced by U.S. District Judge Lee H. Rosenthal to 405 months imprisonment on each of 19 counts of conviction - counts 40 through 58 of the indictment - relating to the 19 deceased victims of the ill-fated smuggling operation in May 2003. Williams was the driver of a tractor trailer discovered abandoned at a truck stop in Victoria, Texas, during the early hours of May 14, 2003.

http://www.ozarksfirst.com/news/eight-people-found-dead-in-tractor-trailer-in-san-antonio/772487726

The semitrailer can be seen on the scene at a Walmart in San Antonio.

6ed940a80abc5ce84c9a5da6dcfc79cf.jpg

SAN ANTONIO (CNN) - A phone call from a Walmart employee led to the discovery of eight bodies and 30 people injured in the back of a tractor-trailer in Texas early Sunday, authorities said.

<snip>

The employee brought water for the man, then called police and asked them to conduct a welfare check, McManus said.

When police arrived at the trailer, they found eight people dead and 30 suffering from various injuries, according to Fire spokesman Joe Arrington. Seventeen are critical while 13 are in serious condition, he said.

<snip>

Note: this is my first original post, please notify me if I've broken rules or done something incorrectly. Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrsrb10
Back