Found Deceased VA - Nicholas Clayton, 33, Chase City, 18 July 2017

JerseyGirl

Forum Coordinator
Staff member
Forum Coordinators
Reaction score
33-year-old Nicholas Dale Clayton is missing and considered endangered. Clayton was last seen in Chase City around 10:30 p.m. on Tuesday, July 18.

4c724650-b58f-4ea5-967f-813c6ed53024-large16x9_20314796_10156379526833222_456614155_o.jpg

http://wset.com/news/local/charlotte-county-man-missing-in-northern-virginia

Not too many details in this article. The details that are available are quite confusing. It says he's missing in Northern Virginia, but also says he was last seen in Chase City? Chase City is quite a distance from Northern Va! I'm a Northern VA native. Born & raised & I can't understand this articles wording! [emoji848]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ashly Shorts said she last spoke to Clayton at 11:41 a.m. on Tuesday, July 18, and no one has seen or heard from him since that day.

Clayton is the father of Short’s 8-year-old daughter, McKayla, and 7-year-old son Nathan.

Shorts said she and her husband have searched for him since he was reported missing.

“I was with him for seven years, and this is all very, very weird. It’s very out of character for him,” Shorts said.

“Our son’s birthday is Sunday, and it’s not like his dad to miss his birthday,” she said Friday.

http://www.yourgv.com/news/local_ne...cle_87f0d23c-7565-11e7-9d40-efefab7b028b.html

I couldn't find why he's endangered. Usually list a medical condition.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Ahh! The offense date is actually 6/1/17. His arrest date is 7/18... the date he went missing!!!

Looks like he is still in custody. However, he has an October hearing date. This is odd. Unless he has this FTA in another jurisdiction.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Looks like he is still in custody. However, he has an October hearing date. This is odd. Unless he has this FTA in another jurisdiction.

They're both in Colonial Heights. He doesn't appear to be in custody as he was released on recognizance & The FTA has yet to be served as there is no arrest date for that charge.

He was however arrested ON July 18!!

So he was arrested, released, and vanished all on the same day... that's interesting.

According to http://www.nbc12.com/story/35953982/family-says-missing-chase-city-man-is-in-need-of-medication

[FONT=&quot]Clayton is in need of medication. He's about 6 feet 2 inches tall and weighs 220 pounds. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Family members say Clayton was last seen wearing a gray shirt and steel toe reddish leather work boots. He also has scars on his right thumb and back of his hand. [/FONT]

So he was arrested, released, and vanished all on the same day... that's interesting.

According to http://www.nbc12.com/story/35953982/family-says-missing-chase-city-man-is-in-need-of-medication

One thing I find very odd is the 'offense date' was in June yet he wasn't arrested until 7/18. For that particular offense, I don't know how or why it would take so long to arrest him. Unless the charge stems from a probation violation? Possible urine test & offense date listed was the date he gave the sample?! Just speculation of course!!

It looks like the possession charge, arrested, released given a court date of the 26th. No show. However; given that he has another court date assigned for October. Usually here, they must pay a particular bond for an GTA if a felony they are often high bonds, which makes the person appear the following court date ( the next day). The bond is brought down to manageable. I also wonder if he could have been late to court of a type of excuse for his absence. Odd otherwise to have an FTA, no disposition. But, a future court date.

It looks like the possession charge, arrested, released given a court date of the 26th. No show. However; given that he has another court date assigned for October. Usually here, they must pay a particular bond for an GTA if a felony they are often high bonds, which makes the person appear the following court date ( the next day). The bond is brought down to manageable. I also wonder if he could have been late to court of a type of excuse for his absence. Odd otherwise to have an FTA, no disposition. But, a future court date.

He didn't have a bond for the possession charge as he was released on recognizance. He was supposed to be in court on the 26, didn't show, FTA issued. Unlike traffic court, where a no show is an automatic guilty in absentia, criminal court will simply continue the hearing to a later date. (October date is for this charge AND the FTA). Virginia usually doesn't hold onto people with a class 5 felony charge. ESP if it's only a possession charge. Only if it's trafficking, etc., will they keep them in custody until their court date.

Whenever I hear, “It can’t be done,” I know I’m close to success!!

He didn't have a bond for the possession charge as he was released on recognizance. He was supposed to be in court on the 26, didn't show, FTA issued. Unlike traffic court, where a no show is an automatic guilty in absentia, criminal court will simply continue the hearing to a later date. (October date is for this charge AND the FTA). Virginia usually doesn't hold onto people with a class 5 felony charge. ESP if it's only a possession charge. Only if it's trafficking, etc., will they keep them in custody until their court date.

Whenever I hear, “It can’t be done,” I know I’m close to success!!
Maybe there, you are correct. Here is not the way it works. I worked in the court system for years and an I have not seen an FTA without a disposition. Since he had failed to appear, they are automatically issued warrants. Especially if they FTA on a felony. Oh well. Obviously VA law is okay with alleged felons on the streets. That is odd. I somehow don't think this is the whole story. Especially, if the occurrence date was a couple of weeks prior. Who knows?? It just seems odd to me and I have gotten used to working with KY courts. That would be a major hand slap here. Lol

Maybe there, you are correct. Here is not the way it works. I worked in the court system for years and an I have not seen an FTA without a disposition. Since he had failed to appear, they are automatically issued warrants. Especially if they FTA on a felony. Oh well. Obviously VA law is okay with alleged felons on the streets. That is odd. I somehow don't think this is the whole story. Especially, if the occurrence date was a couple of weeks prior. Who knows?? It just seems odd to me and I have gotten used to working with KY courts. That would be a major hand slap here. Lol

Lol! I'm on the same page with you! I don't agree with how these things are handled, but have seen it far too many times. (My brother more than I can count [emoji849]) Im positive there is a warrant for the FTA, but, it's nothing they will pursue for a drug possession charge. They'll just enter it into the system & wait until he's pulled over or comes in contact with LE to serve him with it. Lol.

I am so happy I found this website. Not only did I find more info regarding this case then any other type of media site as well as from the actual people directly connected with Nick but this is exactly the kind of website that I cannot wait to jump into and navigate through for hours at a time! When you guys said that there seemed to be more to the story then the info provided suggests, y'all hit the nail on the head! Here is a little more detail that I can personally provide as someone who knows Nick and his girlfriend. Nicks girlfriend has actively posted updates to Facebook almost daily since a few days after he went missing reaching out for help from the public to find him. There were few details letting us know anything other then he was last seen in Chase City at 10:30 at night walking. Less then a week after he went missing Chase City police pulled away from the case saying they have done all they are going to do which included a 3 day search with K9 in the area his cell phone last pinged and stated that this case now belonged to Charlotte County police. I even saw several negative comments posted towards the Chase City police by a few people angry because they didn't search longer and they don't care etc. But something didn't rest right with others such as myself and then I came across the post above that revealed the arrest of Nick on the same day he went missing. This information had never been shared with the public. It's now been a month and according to the girlfriends Facebook updates there has been no word. My feelings are that once the Chase City police couldn't find him in those 3 days they felt they were looking for a man who didn't want to be found because of the previous charges.. or maybe they felt they weren't being told the whole story which means they were wasting their time. I wanted to check back to this thread and throw my input as well as to see if anyone had anything more to discuss.

I am so happy I found this website. Not only did I find more info regarding this case then any other type of media site as well as from the actual people directly connected with Nick but this is exactly the kind of website that I cannot wait to jump into and navigate through for hours at a time! When you guys said that there seemed to be more to the story then the info provided suggests, y'all hit the nail on the head! Here is a little more detail that I can personally provide as someone who knows Nick and his girlfriend. Nicks girlfriend has actively posted updates to Facebook almost daily since a few days after he went missing reaching out for help from the public to find him. There were few details letting us know anything other then he was last seen in Chase City at 10:30 at night walking. Less then a week after he went missing Chase City police pulled away from the case saying they have done all they are going to do which included a 3 day search with K9 in the area his cell phone last pinged and stated that this case now belonged to Charlotte County police. I even saw several negative comments posted towards the Chase City police by a few people angry because they didn't search longer and they don't care etc. But something didn't rest right with others such as myself and then I came across the post above that revealed the arrest of Nick on the same day he went missing. This information had never been shared with the public. It's now been a month and according to the girlfriends Facebook updates there has been no word. My feelings are that once the Chase City police couldn't find him in those 3 days they felt they were looking for a man who didn't want to be found because of the previous charges.. or maybe they felt they weren't being told the whole story which means they were wasting their time. I wanted to check back to this thread and throw my input as well as to see if anyone had anything more to discuss.
Welcome to Websleuths, RichmondVA.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leannamj
Back