Families of 9/11 Victims Can View a Chamber Storing Unidentified Human Remains

PrayersForMaura

Help Find Maura Murray
Reaction score
NEW YORK - Family members of Sept. 11 victims will be able to enter a private room in the World Trade Center memorial and look through a window at a chamber storing more than 9,000 pieces of unidentified human remains, development officials said.
In a "contemplation room" next door, the public will be able to pay respects to an empty, symbolic vessel. Development officials disclosed more information about the design this week as they sought construction bids for the memorial.

More: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060105/ap_on_re_us/attacks_memorial

PrayersForMaura said:
In a "contemplation room" next door, the public will be able to pay respects to an empty, symbolic vessel.

I think this is ridiculous. They're trying too hard to please too many people.

Jeana (DP) said:
I think this is ridiculous. They're trying too hard to please too many people.
I agree. And on top of that, I don't really understand it either.
It almost seems kind of disgusting as in "horror movie-like" to me.
I don't know that I'd personally want to relive it like that all over again.
I'd rather pay tribute in my own home or at the person's grave site or in church.
This just seems odd to me.
Maybe the families like it, I don't know. It just seems awfully weird to me.

PrayersForMaura said:
I agree. And on top of that, I don't really understand it either.
It almost seems kind of disgusting as in "horror movie-like" to me.
I don't know that I'd personally want to relive it like that all over again.
I'd rather pay tribute in my own home or at the person's grave site or in church.
This just seems odd to me.
Maybe the families like it, I don't know. It just seems awfully weird to me.

There are too many families and they'll never even be able to agree with one another, much less the rest of the city, state, United States. Sometimes the families just have to let go of certain things. Its hard and its unfair, but sometimes these things need to be put in perspective. Nothing will ever make it right for the families of those who died in the towers. Spending years arguing, litigating and fighting over a memorial is NOT the way to honor these people. IMO

I think we should have rebuilt the towers and put a memorial on the first floor. I hate the NY skyline without the towers. If feels like defeat.

tybee204 said:
I think we should have rebuilt the towers and put a memorial on the first floor. I hate the NY skyline without the towers. If feels like defeat.
I agree with this, also.

It even bugs me to see old movies with the towers and to know they are not there anymore :(

PrayersForMaura said:
I agree with this, also.

It even bugs me to see old movies with the towers and to know they are not there anymore :(

I agree. Its surprising just how many movies had the towers in them. It just doesn't look right without them there.

It seems kind of cold to me.. Besides, how do we know that some of those remains aren't from the highjackers themselves ..

PaperDoll said:
It seems kind of cold to me.. Besides, how do we know that some of those remains aren't from the highjackers themselves ..

Good point. I think we can honor them without having the remains there in a refrigerator. We don't even know who they belong to. If they are going to be kept like that, then they should be in a medical institution.

Some people can be more quiet, contemplative and spiritual without that "picture" in their mind of something in another room. It's distracting, IMO.

It would be different if they knew if was their own loved one; still I wouldn't want other families there.

In our attempts to please a whole lotta people, do we end up with a "whole lotta nothing?" Totally artless or spiritual. I guess we'll see the final product. (oops see I already said something unpolitically correct)

I guess I am the lone person to think this is good memorial.
It reminds me of the unknown soldier tomb and every time I visit Arlington and see that tomb is gives me great respect for our soldiers.

I personally would rather see the remains in some type of memorial that allowed for future testing like this than to sit in the medical examiners office for years.

mic730 said:
I guess I am the lone person to think this is good memorial.
It reminds me of the unknown soldier tomb and every time I visit Arlington and see that tomb is gives me great respect for our soldiers.

But he's in a tomb; and it's a beautiful setting and very respectful. I have enjoyed being there also; it's a national monument.

The other situation is just strange to me. I guess I would have to actually see it to decide; to see if it's set up in a respectful and aesthetic way. I can't quite visualize it yet.

tybee204 said:
I agree!

Its one thing to have some sort of a "chamber" where the family members can be near the remains of their loved ones. I can understand that. Why have another "empty chamber" for the public to sit and contemplate? Can't they do that in another part of the memorial? This is what I think and it may be unpopular. . . . I think they need to find a place to store these remains. They know they can't cremate them and scatter them or bury them without the families having a fit. If that's the case, from a rational perspective, it makes sense. However, trying to pacify the "public" by giving them some sort of "chamber" to sit and stare at is completely out of line.

Okay, I'm confused ---- again......

So what actually are these people viewing - a door? an urn??? I don't get it.

poco said:
Okay, I'm confused ---- again......

So what actually are these people viewing - a door? an urn??? I don't get it.

NEW YORK - Family members of Sept. 11 victims will be able to enter a private room in the World Trade Center memorial and look through a window at a chamber storing more than 9,000 pieces of unidentified human remains, development officials said.

In a "contemplation room" next door, the public will be able to pay respects to an empty, symbolic vessel. Development officials disclosed more information about the design this week as they sought construction bids for the memorial.

Jeana (DP) said:

So, you are telling me that they will actually be able to view "body parts??" -- or just be able to view the chamber door?

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clintbentwood
Back