Cancer stricken marine dog given heroes farewell

gregjrichards

Reaction score
Hundreds of people in Michigan came together to say a tear-filled final goodbye to a cancer-stricken dog who served three tours in Afghanistan with the U.S. Marines.

Cena the 10-year-old black lab received a hero's farewell Wednesday before being euthanized at the USS LST 393, a museum ship in Muskegon, and carried off in a flag-draped coffin.

Cena, who was recently diagnosed with terminal bone cancer, was a bomb-sniffer for the Marines until his retirement in 2014. The celebration for Cena was organized by his owner, Lance Cpl. Jeff Young, who was paired with the dog in 2009 and 2010 while on a combat tour in Afghanistan and who adopted him in 2014. Cena then became DeYoung's service dog to help him with his post-traumatic stress disorder.

"My whole adult life I've had Cena," DeYoung said. "When I was 19 overseas learning how to be responsible, I had Cena. And now I'm 27 and I'm having to say goodbye to one of the biggest pieces of my life."

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/marine-dog-cancer-tear-filled-farewell-48907901

IMG_0102.JPG

Rest In Peace Cena. Thank you for your service.

Rott Mom kindly asked me to post this story.

Thank you for your service, Cena. God bless and rest in peace.

Sincere condolences to Lance Cpl. Jeff Young on the loss of your K9 partner and loyal companion. :hug:

Rest easy Cena, and Thank You for your service, your bravery, and for being your master’s best friend.

Hundreds of people in Michigan came together to say a tear-filled final goodbye to a cancer-stricken dog who served three tours in Afghanistan with the U.S. Marines.

Cena the 10-year-old black lab received a hero's farewell Wednesday before being euthanized at the USS LST 393, a museum ship in Muskegon, and carried off in a flag-draped coffin.

Cena, who was recently diagnosed with terminal bone cancer, was a bomb-sniffer for the Marines until his retirement in 2014. The celebration for Cena was organized by his owner, Lance Cpl. Jeff Young, who was paired with the dog in 2009 and 2010 while on a combat tour in Afghanistan and who adopted him in 2014. Cena then became DeYoung's service dog to help him with his post-traumatic stress disorder.

"My whole adult life I've had Cena," DeYoung said. "When I was 19 overseas learning how to be responsible, I had Cena. And now I'm 27 and I'm having to say goodbye to one of the biggest pieces of my life."

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/marine-dog-cancer-tear-filled-farewell-48907901

attachment.php

Rest In Peace Cena. Thank you for your service.

Rott Mom kindly asked me to post this story.

The type of story always guaranteed to make me bawl buckets - and such a difficult decision to have a dog put to sleep, even though it is the only decision. R.I.P Cessna now you can run in that big field in the sky.

I am bawling buckets,

RIP Cena. :rose:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rodrigokurita