VT - Mark Hulett for raping young girl, Williston, 2005

PrayersForMaura

Help Find Maura Murray
Reaction score
There was outrage Wednesday when a Vermont judge handed out a 60-day jail sentence to a man who raped a little girl many,many times over a four-year span starting when she was seven.
Prosecutors argued that confessed child-rapist Mark Hulett, 34, of Williston deserved at least eight years behind bars for repeatedly raping a littler girl countless times starting when she was seven.

But Judge Edward Cashman disagreed explaining that he no longer believes that punishment works.

"The one message I want to get through is that anger doesn't solve anything. It just corrodes your soul," said Judge Edward Cashman speaking to a packed Burlington courtroom. Most of the on-lookers were related to a young girl who was repeatedly raped by Mark Hulett who was in court to be sentenced.

More: http://www.wcax.com/Global/story.asp?S=4319605&nav=menu183_2

60 days?????? Holy cow. That poor child. Well, here's another situation where we'll be hearing from this guy again. Next time he rapes a child it will be more aggravated, and then people will scream "WHY DIDNT THE JUDGE PUT HIM AWAY THE FIRST TIME!" Grrr

"I don't like it," the victim's mother,in tears, told Channel 3. "He should pay for what he did to my baby and stop it here. She's not even home with me and he can be home for all this time, and do what he did in my house," she added.

What did Mom mean by this statement?

In reading the article, no mention of GPS monitoring on this pervert. Not even house arrest (not that that does a whole lot of good). In other words, while they see if they can rehabilitate him, he is free to go out and abuse other children, so this so called Judge can see if his experiment works! I agree this so called judge needs to go!

PrayersForMaura said:
There was outrage Wednesday when a Vermont judge handed out a 60-day jail sentence to a man who raped a little girl many,many times over a four-year span starting when she was seven.
Prosecutors argued that confessed child-rapist Mark Hulett, 34, of Williston deserved at least eight years behind bars for repeatedly raping a littler girl countless times starting when she was seven.

But Judge Edward Cashman disagreed explaining that he no longer believes that punishment works.

"The one message I want to get through is that anger doesn't solve anything. It just corrodes your soul," said Judge Edward Cashman speaking to a packed Burlington courtroom. Most of the on-lookers were related to a young girl who was repeatedly raped by Mark Hulett who was in court to be sentenced.

More: http://www.wcax.com/Global/story.asp?S=4319605&nav=menu183_2

This judge needs intensive therapy, imo. After he steps down from the bench, of course.

Jeana (DP) said:
This judge needs to be relieved of his bench and retired.
I agree...or be raped or have loved one raped repeatedly over four years...by the same perp that gets off with 60 days.

mysteriew said:
What did Mom mean by this statement?

In reading the article, no mention of GPS monitoring on this pervert. Not even house arrest (not that that does a whole lot of good). In other words, while they see if they can rehabilitate him, he is free to go out and abuse other children, so this so called Judge can see if his experiment works! I agree this so called judge needs to go!

I assume the child was taken from the home by CPS. I wonder if this guy was her boyfriend or husband when the girl was being raped.

This judge needs to be personally responsible for this man's actions if he is going to release him back into society after only 60 days, imo!

petra said:
I agree...or be raped or have loved one raped repeatedly over four years...by the same perp that gets off with 60 days.

Come on now. I know you're angry, but you certainly don't want any of this judge's loved ones to suffer becuase of choices he makes. I certainly am not perfect and have made mistakes, but I wouldn't want any of my loved ones to suffer because of them. Let's keep the blame here where it belongs. First on the perp who did this and then the judge who allowed him to get away with it with a slap on the wrist and very possibly will allow it to happen to someone else.

Jeana (DP) said:
Come on now. I know you're angry, but you certainly don't want any of this judge's loved ones to suffer becuase of choices he makes. I certainly am not perfect and have made mistakes, but I wouldn't want any of my loved ones to suffer because of them. Let's keep the blame here where it belongs. First on the perp who did this and then the judge who allowed him to get away with it with a slap on the wrist and very possibly will allow it to happen to someone else.

You have a good point. Maybe the proper punishment in this case should be that the judge and the perp should be forced to cohabit somewhere and be forced to engage in regular relations for the same time period that the child had to endure it.

How long was the perp in jail awaiting trial? He might already have already had time served from awaiting trial. Although in most cases it's hard to imagine rape not being punishable by 30+ life. Although I've noticed that a lot of posters are calling every form of sexual abuse "rape" on this board, which is misleading. Most states have very detailed descriptions of what consitutes rape. Often what we consider to be rape is also referred to as "aggravated child molestation" or "sexual assault".

BillyGoatGruff said:
How long was the perp in jail awaiting trial? He might already have already had time served from awaiting trial. Although in most cases it's hard to imagine rape not being punishable by 30+ life. Although I've noticed that a lot of posters are calling every form of sexual abuse "rape" on this board, which is misleading. Most states have very detailed descriptions of what consitutes rape. Often what we consider to be rape is also referred to as "aggravated child molestation" or "sexual assault".

From the link:

snip: raping a littler girl countless times starting when she was seven.

snip: sex abuse started when the girl was seven and ended when she was ten

Seems pretty clear to me. It was rape.
I would think they might want to be checking into this Judge's background. He says he used to be harder on the offenders. I would be mighty curious as to what changed his mind.

BillyGoatGruff said:

The man is a "self-confessed child rapist," so I'm thinking he didn't "molest" her, he raped her. Since the judge doesn't believe in punishment, he no longer belongs on the bench. If he can't uphold the laws of that state, he needs to be removed. From the link:

Judge Cashman also also revealed that he once handed down stiff sentences when he first got on the bench 25 years ago, but he no longer believes in punishment.

Jeana (DP) said:
:blushing:

:blushing: you are right, i am angry...but should not have wished such things. sorry

Jeana (DP) said:
This judge needs to be relieved of his bench and retired.
:clap: I say toss him in prison and let him be raped repeatedly over the next four years. Then see how he feels about it.

mysteriew said:
From the link:

Seems pretty clear to me. It was rape.
I would think they might want to be checking into this Judge's background. He says he used to be harder on the offenders. I would be mighty curious as to what changed his mind.
I agree there needs to be a review of this judge ,he is the representative for the public in handing out justice and this is not justice.:behindbar :behindbar my judge hate list is growing .I would love to see Greta take this judge on.maybe someone should email her about this.

Linda7NJ said:
:clap: I say toss him in prison and let him be raped repeatedly over the next four years. Then see how he feels about it.
Not for the next four years, as was the time period the girl was raped. For however long the girl has bad dreams about it, for however long she has 2nd thoughts about relationships because of it, and for however long she THINKS about it ever again.

THAT'S how long this perp should suffer. The judge? well...I suppose a little sufferong dealt his way couldn't do any harm... :laugh:

Jeana (DP) said:
The man is a "self-confessed child rapist," so I'm thinking he didn't "molest" her, he raped her. Since the judge doesn't believe in punishment, he no longer belongs on the bench. If he can't uphold the laws of that state, he needs to be removed. From the link:

Judge Cashman also also revealed that he once handed down stiff sentences when he first got on the bench 25 years ago, but he no longer believes in punishment.
The judge seems more concerned with the welfare of the child rapist. Ten to one he is a pedophile himself.

Judge is either a pedophile or maybe there's some kind of mental illness he's working on - this just isn't normal. I wonder if there's a chance of altzheimers or senile dementia or something. In any case - wonder what can happen during a 60 day prison sentence....

I cannot believe that this still happens. Dont these judges realize that these predators DO NOT STOP! Ugh. I'm so disgusted.:doh:

Details said:
Judge is either a pedophile or maybe there's some kind of mental illness he's working on - this just isn't normal. I wonder if there's a chance of altzheimers or senile dementia or something. In any case - wonder what can happen during a 60 day prison sentence....
Burlington, Vermont - November 7, 2005

For years UVM Police have operated like any other agency in the state. They are trained the same.. they are certified the same. They cite and arrest people for all sorts of crimes.

That's what happened last May. UVM police arrested a young man for drunk driving on a city street. He refused to take a breath test.

Under Vermont law the refusal should have triggered automatic license suspension and might lead to a criminal conviction.

But not in this case.

District Judge Edward Cashman threw out the drunk driving charge. Cashman ruled that UVM police have legal authority only on campus property and only with UVM students faculty and staff.

"We respectfully disagree with the opinion Judge Cashman has brought down to us. We will be appealing the decision," says Colin McNeil, Chittenden Deputy Prosecutor.

McNeil says he was surprised by the ruling.

Cashman said UVM police powers are limited because they are supervised by UVM's appointed trustees rather than elected officials as required by the Vermont Constitution. But other judges have consistently ruled that the UVM police are authorized to work anyplace and that's why the prosecutor was stunned.

"No, did not expect it to go this way. We've had other opinions,other cases in the past where we've had a favorable ruling and did not expect that the judge would rule this way," says McNeil.

"First of all, the ruling was completely bewildering," says Chief Gary Margolis of UVM Police.

The UVM police chief says his officers will continue to do their duties including off-campus patrols and investigations. But for now, he is more concerned about what the judge's ruling means for the DWI suspect.

"I was concerned that there were no consequences for his action, you know in any way,shape or form and that's a concern because what's gonna keep him from doing it again," says Chief Margolis.

Now prosecutors say they will appeal Judge Cashman's ruling to the Vermont Supreme Court.

Meanwhile, the Chittenden Deputy State's Attorney will continue to take all UVM police cases and request that they not go before Judge Cashman.
http://www.wcax.com/Global/story.asp?S=4085694&nav=4QcS

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back