Found Alive WA - Kimberly Haines & dog, King County, 31 July 2017

JerseyGirl

Forum Coordinator
Staff member
Forum Coordinators
Reaction score
Crews searched all night Monday for missing trail runner Kimberly Haines. Haines' car was found in the trailhead parking lot, where she was last seen on Monday.

Haines%20and%20Dog_1501614861880_8747968_ver1.0_640_360.jpg

http://www.kiro7.com/news/local/crews-searching-for-trail-runner-missing-near-north-bend/578384008

Still missing:

Kimberly Haines, 40, is an experienced hiker, but that she had never hiked the Mount Teneriffe trail before. She went out at about 9 a.m. Monday with her dog. She planned to jog a 15-mile loop.

The woman's family became worried when she did not return by 6 p.m., which is about what time she usually returns home from a run. Family members went to the trailhead but couldn't find her. Her car was there.

http://komonews.com/news/local/searchers-seek-missing-hiker-and-her-dog-in-mount-teneriffe-area

ugh....national parks freak me out sometimes. Just way too many wierdos a single woman can run into...I hope she is just momentarily lost and she and her pup find their way to some help...

Hmmm, just doing the math: If she went out about 9:00am as the article states, and wasn't expected to get back until 6:00pm, then that's 9 hours to cover 15 miles. Seems excessive. I'm not sure how rough the terrain is, or how long she would stop for snack/lunch breaks, but I would think an experienced hiker could jog the loop in a few hours or less. I'm guessing she either purposely left the trail (to find water, bathroom, another trail to explore to extend her hike etc...) and got lost or injured or possibly left the area in a different vehicle with somebody she met up with.
Still missing:

Kimberly Haines, 40, is an experienced hiker, but that she had never hiked the Mount Teneriffe trail before. She went out at about 9 a.m. Monday with her dog. She planned to jog a 15-mile loop.

The woman's family became worried when she did not return by 6 p.m., which is about what time she usually returns home from a run. Family members went to the trailhead but couldn't find her. Her car was there.

http://komonews.com/news/local/searchers-seek-missing-hiker-and-her-dog-in-mount-teneriffe-area

Hmmm, just doing the math: If she went out about 9:00am as the article states, and wasn't expected to get back until 6:00pm, then that's 9 hours to cover 15 miles. Seems excessive. I'm not sure how rough the terrain is, or how long she would stop for snack/lunch breaks, but I would think an experienced hiker could jog the loop in a few hours or less. I'm guessing she either purposely left the trail (to find water, bathroom, another trail to explore to extend her hike etc...) and got lost or injured or possibly left the area in a different vehicle with somebody she met up with.

I'm thinking she told the family 6:00 p.m. as the absolute latest. I'm sure she didn't want to say "if I'm not home by noon, or by 3:00 p.m.", but I think her saying that she's leaving for the day for a 15 mile hike in an area she never hiked before, if not home by 6:00 sounds ok.

I'm thinking she told the family 6:00 p.m. as the absolute latest. I'm sure she didn't want to say "if I'm not home by noon, or by 3:00 p.m.", but I think her saying that she's leaving for the day for a 15 mile hike in an area she never hiked before, if not home by 6:00 sounds ok.

There is a bit of driving time in there too - she lived in the Greenwood neighborhood of Seattle, so that's about, say 40 miles of driving each way. (Obviously she didn't actually drive home, but it would have been part of the math)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

This is so scary. Sounds like the heat is the major concern in what may have happened to her, and for finding her. Triple digit temperatures!

That alone would be enough to overwhelm her, but there's also the added possibility of her having fallen and broken an ankle, or leg, etc.

I picture her being the type of person who would give the last of her water to her dog too.

I really pray they find her safely. Her family must be so frantic with worry...

Bumping for Kimberly and her dog. Please Lord let them be safe.

Let's hope she had plenty of water with her. She sounds like a smart woman who would know how to survive.

I like to think it's a good sign that they haven't found her dog either.

I hope that the dog didn't fall over a ledge and she reached to grab him and went with him. also, with this being a National Park, do you think cell phone would ping if she had it on her?

I am so concerned for this lady and her dog. I wish I were there to help search.

That is strange to me because if they can receive info from her cell, does that mean she can text or call someone? I mean, I assume she cannot or she would, so how are they able to use info from her cell?

A cell phone an receive pings however this is done by LE through carrier with special equipment. It's not the same as findyourphone app.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A cell phone an receive pings however this is done by LE through carrier with special equipment. It's not the same as findyourphone app.

A cell phone can receive pings however this is done by LE through carrier with special equipment. It's not the same as findyourphone app.

So is her cell still moving around? That would be good news...:candle:

Possibly her gps is communicating with a satellite, but she's not in range of a cell tower.

That is strange to me because if they can receive info from her cell, does that mean she can text or call someone? I mean, I assume she cannot or she would, so how are they able to use info from her cell?

Good points.

I'm guessing maybe where the phone had its final ping and they are searching within a radius of that ping.
Meanwhile the battery may have died.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bosie
Back