CA CA - Ivy & Violet Matory, Yolanda Williams & Sir-Kristopher Marshall, 20 July 1977

anthrobones

Reaction score
Ivy Matory
matory_ivy.jpg
http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/m/matory_ivy.html
Vital Statistics at Time of Disappearance

Missing Since: July 21, 1977 from Compton, California
Classification: Endangered Missing
Date Of Birth: January 12, 1965
Height and Weight: 5'0, 90 pounds
Distinguishing Characteristics: Black hair, brown eyes.

Details of Disappearance
In 1977, Ivy lived in Compton, California with her mother, Earlene Williams; her sister, Violet B. Matory, and her half-sister, Yolanda Marie Williams. On July 20, 1977, a boy named Sir-Kristopher Marshall was spending the night in the Williams/Matory home in the 300 block of east 131st Street. At 4:30 a.m., the house caught fire and burned to the ground. Earlene's body was found inside near the front door; she had been strangled. The children were not in the residence, though. There was a trail of blood leading from the house down an alley, where it stopped. The bleeding person apparently got into a car there. Authorities determined the fire erupted in the room where all the children slept.

Earlene was estranged from her husband, James Williams, at the time of her death. He is Yolanda's father. They separated after James was charged with child molestation and rape in connection with a 1976 attack on Ivy. He was questioned and released the day after the fire, but arrested for murder the next day when the autopsy results proved Earlene had been a homicide victim.

James was allegedly seen with Yolanda, Marshall, Ivy and Violet at a Denny's restaurant in Grapevine, California at 5:30 a.m. on July 21, the day after their house burned down. He was picked up by friends in Riverside, California later that day, without the children. When first questioned, James said he'd been driving to Bakersfield, California at the time of the fire, but his car broke down and he had to spend the night in it. One of his hands had a bad cut at the time of his arrest; he said he'd injured it trying to repair his car.

In August 1977, James was additionally charged with murdering the four missing children. Authorities stated it's possible they witnessed his assault on Ivy and he took them them for that reason. He was later convicted of Earlene's murder, but the outcome of the children's homicide cases is unknown. James is now deceased. The children have never been located.

Violet Bobbie Matory
matory_violet.jpg

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/m/matory_violet.html

Missing Since: July 21, 1977 from Compton, California
Date Of Birth: September 22, 1967
Height and Weight: 5'0, 115 pounds
Distinguishing Characteristics: Black hair, brown eyes.

Yolanda Marie Williams
williams_yolanda.jpg

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/w/williams_yolanda.html

Missing Since: July 19, 1977 from Los Angeles County, California
Date Of Birth: September 5, 1969
Height and Weight: 4'0, 55 pounds
Distinguishing Characteristics: Black hair, brown eyes. Some agencies list Williams's middle name as Maria.

Sir-Kristopher Clayton Marshall
marshall_sir-kristopher.jpg

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/m/marshall_sir-kristopher.html

Missing Since: July 20, 1977 from Los Angeles, California
Classification: Non-Family Abduction
Date Of Birth: September 11, 1973
Height and Weight: 3'0, 37 pounds
Distinguishing Characteristics: Brown hair, brown eyes. Marshall has a four-inch-long scar on his back. He has scar tissue on both of his feet and on his ankles. He is biracial; African-American and Caucasian. Marshall has a very light complexion.

I have no idea why the post is spaced like that. I wonder why there is an age progression for the boy but not the girls.

anthrobones said:
I have no idea why the post is spaced like that. I wonder why there is an age progression for the boy but not the girls.
For some reason, Sir-Kristopher was on the NCMEC for several years before Yolanda, Ivy and Violet got put on. I'm thinking perhaps his family is a bit more active/vocal in the search, and that's why he got on the NCMEC sooner, and that's why he has an AP. The girls don't really have much of a family left to speak for them.

According to Wikipedia:

Grapevine is a village located at the foot of a notorious road grade known as The Grapevine through Tejon Pass in the Tehachapi Mountains at the southern end of the San Joaquin Valley along Interstate 5 (formerly U.S. Highway 99). The village consists mainly of roadside services. The village and grade are named, not for the once-winding road that used to climb the steep mountain pass but, for the wild grapes that still grow along the original road. The grade was infamous for its high accident rate before the road was straightened and widened. It is still widely known for its occasional closure due to heavy snowfall during winter storms and even though the road was straightened and widened it still has had car accidents. Being the major route between northern and southern California these closures are a major disruption to traffic along the entire west coast.

I wonder if he had family in Bakersfield or somewhere in that vicinity? Bakersfield or Fresno seem most likely, although if he set it up beforehand then it could have been a halfway point - say, San Francisco as the destination. If that's not the case, then it seems likely that he took those poor children back up into the mountains and they are buried there. It just seems so unlikely that he would include hide away a child that did not belong to him if it was a "rescue" scenario.

Today, July 19, 2007, marks the thirtieth anniversary of the Williams - Matory - Marshall childrens' disappearance. Please keep her and her family in your thoughts and prayers. If you have any information regarding the disappearance of the children or the homicide of their mother, Earlene Williams, please contact the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department at
562-465-7816 or your local police station (you can remain annonymous).

This case has intrigued me since I first heard about it....and looking at Doe...is it clear if Sir-Kristopher was related or not? The doenetwork info seems vague. Is there more than one family involved? It seems almost like the Sodder case in a way.

That's the impression I got. It just seems like little is heard from his family, which I feel is a tad odd, considering the circumstances.

I've done quite a bit of research on Jim Jones and the Peoples Temple. In Mid- July 1977 the majority of the California "area" members traveled to Guyana. There were many African-American children who went. Many orphans. If they didn't have a family, Jones invented one for them. Many people came from the LA area. Jones basically took who ever he could get a welfare check from. I wish I had time to look around today. Here is a partial listing of people who died. There are many children without pictures listed. I wish there was more back ground on this family.

http://jonestown.sdsu.edu/AboutJonestown/WhoDied/whodied_list.php

Such a sad situation!! Those poor kids!! I'm hoping something can be done to determine what happened to them, and that they will not be forgotten!

I follow Charley Project pretty closely, and this case has always stuck in my memory. I think the children are / were alive somewhere, why stop at Denny's to feed them? KWIM? Never thought of the Guyana / People's Temple angle before - but it would explain a LOT. Hmmm.......

I was just thinking the same thing re stopping at Denny's. Was it just the girls or the girls and boy at Denny's? Sounds like he dropped them with someone/left them somewhere then showed up in Riverside.

I was just thinking the same thing re stopping at Denny's. Was it just the girls or the girls and boy at Denny's? Sounds like he dropped them with someone/left them somewhere then showed up in Riverside.

It was all of them. It was reported as two boys and two girls (Yolanda was probably mistaken for a boy). Obviously the sighting wasn't confirmed, but it's considered credible.

Sir-Kristopher's mother is very active in the search for him; his father is dead. I don't think Yolanda has any living relatives. They did get a DNA sample for her recently, but I suspect that wasn't from a living person.

When they were seen at the restaurant, did anyone say what sort of mood they were in/how they were interacting with each other? Unfortunately, I have trouble with the theory that James Williams left the kids alive with someone then showed up in Riverside later in the day. Wouldn't at least one of the kids say something about what had happened, even if they didn't go directly to the authorities? What time of day did James show up in Riverside?

I also find it unlikely that the children are alive unfortunately, especially the older ones - they would be more likely to speak up, whether about the murder and what they saw, or about their mother, something by now. They weren't that young. Sir-Kristopher was young enough to not remember anything properly, though. Maybe.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
megalow
Back