NY NY - Eve Wilkowitz, 20, Bay Shore, 22 March 1980

dotr

Reaction score
http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2016/03/29/eve-wilkowitz-cold-case/
EAST MEADOW, N.Y. (CBSNewYork) — A Long Island woman is on a quest for justice in the murder of her sister nearly 40 years ago.

On March 25, 1980, Eve Wilkowitz was walking home from the Long Island Rail Road station in Bay Shore when she was kidnapped, held captive, sexually assaulted and strangled with a rope. She was 20 years old.
Her killer was never found.

“If you know something, say something,” Brociner said. “This person could be walking around still or they can be dead. I really just don’t know, it’s in my mind 24/7.”

Anyone with information can call anonymously to Crime Stoppers at 800-220-8477.

http://www.newsday.com/long-island/...ongs-for-justice-in-sister-s-death-1.11619751
attachment.php

Days after the shocking 1980 slaying, a veteran homicide detective labeled the case “one of the biggest mystery murders we’ve ever had.”
Wilkowitz had been struggling to cope with her mother’s death when she moved out of the family’s Oakdale home to her Bay Shore apartment with a friend. She was outgoing and liked to ride horses and listen to Billy Joel, the Beatles and Elton John.

She took a job as a secretary with Macmillan Publishing in Manhattan and attended college classes with a dream of becoming a social worker.

Wilkowitz was last seen alive at 12:29 a.m. on March 22, 1980, in Penn Station, where her then-boyfriend told police he watched her get on a train headed back to Bay Shore.

Solving the case proved challenging from the onset. Two early suspects — both male acquaintances — passed lie-detector tests.

Wilkowitz’s roommate said she had complained several times about men following her during the 10-minute walk home from the LIRR station.

Attachments

• image.jpg.png
    image.jpg.png
    399.2 KB · Views: 89
Tried to copy and paste my query from another page silly idea.

Anyway. Above in the articles it mentions the fact she complained about being followed from the train station when she'd go home, also the fact her then BF left her at the train, but these two things are wrong.

Her BF was the man she was living with and who she was scared of. The man who left her to the train was and still is besotted by her. He says he went out with her for 6 weeks. They met at MacMillan the publishers. He was not aware of the BF as he never could understand why she didn't want him on the train and they would argue about it.

The New Yorker

"I could respect her wishes, and wake Eve up in good time to take her across town in a taxi to Penn Station. She had never allowed me to ride the train all the way home with her—it was a beastly journey and Eve the work-commuter and NY native felt absolutely in command of it: there was “no need. I know everybody.” Still I always pressed to go till I nearly made her mad."

She and he would walk hand in hand in New York. (Could the BF have caught them doing this). Or a friend of his. Was he a connected guy?

Anyway, he, the New Yorker, states she told him she would get a local taxi home at night from the train station. She didn't feel comfortable walking alone. Why then does it state everywhere she would walk home. Also, was there different men following her, this falls in to the gang or group theory following different women now.

The New Yorker

"Eve “went missing” somewhere along her long route—from Pennsylvania Station, through Babylon and out to Bay Shore, Long Island, where at the station she always counted on a local taxi for the last leg of dark streets home."

The New Yorker On Their Love

"Eve was on the verge of her 21st birthday that Spring: she was a smart, strong, happy, outgoing person moving into dynamic relation with the world, through a career in social work. This young writer of 25 hoped to make her his wife. Eve was full of energy and humor, and loved her Jewish family, home-cooked meals and stupid movies. Eve was still in grief over the recent death of her mother. Our favorite date was walking the streets of New York holding hands, and talking, talking and talking.

We said our first I Love You and made some plans to live together in the city. Then our six weeks came to an end. Eve was abducted on her way home to Bay Shore, Long Island, late Friday night March 21st—somewhere between New York City’s Pennsylvania Station and her town’s local stop. Her murderer(s) held her for 3 days, then killed and disposed of her, in what Suffolk County Homicide detectives call "a very brutal case."

Check out the Police station, wasn't Burke from there?

The New Yorker on the name of the officer from Suffolk ring any bells?

“Mr. , this is Detective Palumbo with Suffolk County Police Department out on Long Island. We’d like you to jump on the train and come out here today, while we work on this Missing Persons.”

The New Yorker on the Medical Student. Some people mention doctors following them. (Hackett).

"As the last friendly face Eve probably saw, I was in the prime suspect category for awhile. By chance, a medical student who’d sold me his used stereo showed up to deliver it, with his father, early that Saturday morning of Eve’s disappearance, and they described my disheveled crawl out of bed to meet them. Later, a lie detector test wrapped me in cables and mirror-windows—and years later in the 90s, two further New York detectives simply appeared one afternoon in the driveway of my home north of Boston. We talked the case all over again, which is to say they helped me talk and gave out nothing, and they swabbed my mouth for a DNA sample. I was amazed and grateful that they were still in action about this."

Anyway these are just a few small things, but they are interesting to me. Maybe boring to you experts. Thanks for taking the time to read them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hoping this link is fine to post.

https://jackdempseywriter.wordpress...lowers-notes-on-a-murder-32-years-unsolved-2/
So here’s the mystery posed to me one Spring Friday night in 1980:

Having dinner with Eve Helene Wilkowitz, then a near-21-year-old publishing secretary working through school toward social work—a vibrant, charming, warm-hearted woman with dark eyes and long strong legs who loved her younger sister and was helping her to survive the recent death of their mother at a young age.

We eat, see a movie, walk the midtown city night holding hands and talking, talking. There’s no doubt we’re in love for the six electric weeks behind us. In fact we’ve just said it aloud to each other for the first time, and already talked some plans about moving in together. Under that, there’s more, and a ringing in my ears: The One. The One.

So there we are back at my midtown mouse-hole of a place, late, the city thrumming and quiet all around while those first exquisite deep kisses of a new beginning married us to Spring. In fact, I wanted Eve to stay the night with me instead of her usual—a ride on the night’s last Long Island Railroad train, back out to her then unhappily-shared apartment in Bay Shore.

I made it gently truly clear that I meant Sleep, and Eve believed me. So, she told me her real reason for why she had to go. She was not feeling well at all, with her ongoing period just then—she needed rest before she had to face some Saturday responsibilities. Then, she smiled, she’d be back to spend the rest of Saturday with me. Very promising, that smile.

So there we were, still making out as the near-midnight time for that last train kept approaching. I could not kiss Eve enough, and the funny thing from there is that while I did so, she proved so needful of real sleep that she was starting to nod off right there in my arms. Completely vulnerable, warm, tender, breathing deeply, resting. Safe.
Eve “went missing” somewhere along her long route—from Pennsylvania Station, through Babylon and out to Bay Shore, Long Island, where at the station she always counted on a local taxi for the last leg of dark streets home. She was held alive for three days, and then murdered early that next Tuesday morning—and her body, her killer(s) dumped in the backyard of a suburban-style family home not three blocks from the place where Eve had lived

Here is something “final” I know. For all the walls I’ve walked and worked through in this life of mine now doubled, It—the matter of Eve—stands. A cosmic iron wall. It will never be gone. It will never be comprehended, and never be rectified

Yes there are a lot of contradictions in this case. The thing is, there are a lot if similarities between this and a LISK. If this was one of the first surely this is where we may find the identity of the killer.

The one thing which seems obvious is the way LISK developed, and is obviously one which did not want to get caught. Eve's killer is similar. No traces.

There must have been video cameras even then. Yet there seems to be no footage of her on her last journey.

You have to wonder if this is even one person, or whether, like LISK there could be a group working together. Like the rumoured CCC.

Yes there are a lot of contradictions in this case. The thing is, there are a lot if similarities between this and a LISK. If this was one of the first surely this is where we may find the identity of the killer.

The one thing which seems obvious is the way LISK developed, and is obviously one which did not want to get caught. Eve's killer is similar. No traces.

There must have been video cameras even then. Yet there seems to be no footage of her on her last journey.

You have to wonder if this is even one person, or whether, like LISK there could be a group working together. Like the rumoured CCC.

Small? coincidence..Rbbm.
From link..
https://jackdempseywriter.wordpress....rs-unsolved-2/
By chance, a medical student who’d sold me his used stereo showed up to deliver it, with his father, early that Saturday morning of Eve’s disappearance, and they described my disheveled crawl out of bed to meet them

His name does not seem to appear anywhere, but assuming he is one of the two people who were given and passed polygraph tests. imo.
Psychopaths can pass polygraph and they do understand win and lose.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Fill me in so I am feeling this correctly.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Some had suggested that LISK may have a medical background, iirc. just grabbing at straws and remarking that it was a small coincidence that on the day/night that Eve went missing, a medical student and his father happened to make a transaction with her new b.f.
No biggie, just noting as the b.f. writer mentioned it.
speculation.

His name does not seem to appear anywhere, but assuming he is one of the two people who were given and passed polygraph tests. imo.

Imagine if the Student was her BF. Wouldn't be too small a coincidence then. What is odd is the Student turning up with the father. Maybe he couldn't drive himself. Odd though. Medical people have money and Americans start early in cars. The people who live in the gated community all seem to be father son families and the area seems populated in the Summer time when most of these Murders happened....

[...]

Today, they are no closer to Eve’s killer than they were the morning she was found. Wilkowitz, 57 and Eve’s only living close relative, has pressed investigators to try a new option: investigative genetic genealogy, a revolutionary — and divisive — tool that has been used to crack dozens of cold cases across America in the past 18 months. It would enable police to submit the killer’s DNA, found in semen left on her sister’s body, to consumer DNA databases, which contain DNA profiles of tens of thousands of people who are not in criminal databases. The move could increase the chances of finding a relative of the killer ─ and, ultimately, the killer himself.

But New York health officials won’t let investigators do so.

Because public crime laboratories aren’t equipped to do the advanced DNA analysis required of the newly popular technique, law enforcement authorities must seek help from private laboratories, which are regulated by the New York State Department of Health. Under a decades-old regulation from a time when DNA analysis first became common in criminal cases, private labs are required to obtain permits before they can do such forensics work in New York.

No private lab has this permit for investigative genetic genealogy. That has left New York authorities unable to join the national rush of law enforcement agencies using investigative genetic genealogy to reexamine decades-old murders and rapes.
[...]
So far just one company that does genetic genealogy work has applied for a New York State permit: Virginia-based Parabon Nanolabs. The New York State Health Department will not say when, or whether, it will grant Parabon the permit.

[...]
Her sister was murdered in 1980. New DNA methods could crack the case, but NY won’t allow it.

[...]

Today, they are no closer to Eve’s killer than they were the morning she was found. Wilkowitz, 57 and Eve’s only living close relative, has pressed investigators to try a new option: investigative genetic genealogy, a revolutionary — and divisive — tool that has been used to crack dozens of cold cases across America in the past 18 months. It would enable police to submit the killer’s DNA, found in semen left on her sister’s body, to consumer DNA databases, which contain DNA profiles of tens of thousands of people who are not in criminal databases. The move could increase the chances of finding a relative of the killer ─ and, ultimately, the killer himself.

But New York health officials won’t let investigators do so.

Because public crime laboratories aren’t equipped to do the advanced DNA analysis required of the newly popular technique, law enforcement authorities must seek help from private laboratories, which are regulated by the New York State Department of Health. Under a decades-old regulation from a time when DNA analysis first became common in criminal cases, private labs are required to obtain permits before they can do such forensics work in New York.

No private lab has this permit for investigative genetic genealogy. That has left New York authorities unable to join the national rush of law enforcement agencies using investigative genetic genealogy to reexamine decades-old murders and rapes.
[...]
So far just one company that does genetic genealogy work has applied for a New York State permit: Virginia-based Parabon Nanolabs. The New York State Health Department will not say when, or whether, it will grant Parabon the permit.

[...]
Her sister was murdered in 1980. New DNA methods could crack the case, but NY won’t allow it.

I was going to post the above report about this case on this thread but beaten to it. Of course ParaBon Labs do not have the monopoly on sympathy for victims in crime cases.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JR Rainwater
Back