Found Deceased CA - Carl Foote, 58, Sierra Madre, 6 Aug 2017

Carl Foote was last seen in his home on the 100 block of Laurel Avenue. Foote, who is described as an avid hiker and walker, was planning to hike the base of Mount Wilson's trail Sunday and has not been seen since.

http://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/l...Sierra-Madre-Mount-Wilson-Base-439158793.html
attachment.php

Attachments

• mising+man+Carl+Foote.jpg
    mising+man+Carl+Foote.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 223
http://www.sierramadreweekly.com/current-news/active-search-effect-missing-sierra-madre-resident/
attachment.php

Sierra Madre resident Carl Foote was reported missing by his wife on Sunday, Aug. 6 at approximately 6:30 p.m. Carl was last seen walking in the vicinity of Merrill and Highland Avenues at approximately 10:30 a.m.

Officers investigating the incident, soon learned that Carl’s personal belongings, cell phone, wallet, bicycles and vehicle were all left behind at his home in Sierra Madre.

Mr. Foote did not report to work on Monday morning.

At this point in the investigation, there does not appear to be any foul play or criminal element involved in Foote’s disappearance.

Attachments

• 1-1.jpg
    1-1.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 213
Seen by who?
Does he usually leave those personal items behind when going hiking?
6'9"?-He'd be noticeable by others.
Need more info/specifics

This is right near me.
The news truck was in front of the fire station tonight on my way home from work. I thought he might have been found.
Many people hike up to Mt. Wilson. If he is there he must have fallen off trail.o
Sierra Madre Search & Rescue Is World Class.

I don't know Carl, but he is a neighbor to my mom and a few friends.

Agreed with charminglane, Sierra Madre Search & Rescue are a great group. They're familiar with the trails.

I've hiked the area quite a few times. There are a few ways into the mountains within easy walking distance from his residence. The trails are well maintained but and mostly not difficult, but there are a few exposed sections especially near the bottom of the Mt. Wilson Trail.

I'm really concerned of the weather as the days have been in the 90F's.

Thanks for your posts -- I hope he's found soon! I'm an LA hiker who heard about this yesterday and has started contacting people in hiking groups who may have been in the area on Sunday or Monday. I had some questions about the case. I realize no one here may have the answers -- and that the police and Search and Rescue have probably investigated all these things -- but I want to get the questions out there.

1. Some reports say that Mr. Foote told family members he'd be hiking near the base of Mt. Wilson (i.e., on one of the several trails going up the foothills in that area, including most notably the Mt. Wilson Trail). Other reports say it isn't known whether he went for a hike -- the implication is he could've gone for a walk in the neighborhood. Does anyone know more about this?

Did Mr. Foote have preferred places to walk, whether in the foothills or in the neighborhood?

2. Is it known whether Mr. Foote was wearing the clothes he was apparently seen in at around 10am -- a white tee-shirt, khaki shorts, and tennis shoes? He didn't have his cell phone or wallet... I've heard that he had just been to services at the Episcopal Church of the Ascension, so I'm guessing he changed into those clothes after church.

Did Mr. Foote have any water with him? Was he in the habit of putting a bottle of water in his pocket when going for a walk or short hike? If so, he could have had some water that wasn't obvious. And some people are "camels" who tank up on water before short hikes.

Would those clothes and things he had with him place constraints on what he was likely to do and where he was likely to go? Would he hike the Mt. Wilson Trail in tennis shoes? (Could they have been trail runners or were they definitely tennis shoes?) Or is it more likely he went on a neighborhood walk?

I know that if you live right near a trail, especially a well-travelled one, you may see it as an extension of your neighborhood and may bring less gear than if the trail is further away.

3. Has any surveillance video been checked? I realize that the immediate area around Mr. Foote's home and up to the foothills is very residential, so there might not be much surveillance video in that direction. But if he went for a more urban walk, he might have passed buildings with surveillance video. I hope that's being pulled and examined before it's overwritten.

4. One slightly odd thing about this is the apparent lack of sightings after 10 or 10:30am. (Maybe there were possible sightings on the trail which aren't being reported because they were unconfirmed. Someone did say something about seeing a tall sweaty hiker -- maybe that was him.) A hiker I contacted said that earlier that morning, there were a lot of people on the trail from Bailey Canyon to Jones Peak. While that was earlier and thus cooler, that trail is nasty in the heat and one would expect there to be hikers on the shadier Mt. Wilson Trail a bit later in the morning.

Oh well, that's why I should get the word out to more hikers, right?

Any insight will be appreciated. Thanks!

Saw his poster at the bakery this morning.
What is strange to me is that there aren't a significant assortment of helicopters in the area searching.

LAHiker, thanks for your post and info. According to a friend, she see's him walk by her house often. This is in the residential area which would be past the bottom of Mt. Wilson Trail from Carl's residence in an area known as the Upper Canyon.

There's no official trail up there, and the area is gated off, but there used to be a few ways to scramble through and past the debris dam. Hopefully they've checked this area.

ETA info - Regarding clothing, Carl lives nearly across the street from the Church of the Ascension, so it would have been easy for him to changes clothes/shoes before hiking.

Thanks, Jaragaki! That sounds like a good lead. Has your friend mentioned to Sierra Madre Search and Rescue that she's seen him walk by her house in the Upper Canyon area?? If he was indeed wearing tennis shoes, staying on paved roads for as long as possible while going up toward the foothills might have been appealing.

I haven't been in the Upper Canyon area. Did you mean it's a gated community, or that it contains gated communities, or simply that the debris dam is fenced off? I think some people in a hiking group I'm in used to go through that neighborhood in an adventurous approach to the Mt. Wilson Trail -- I remember they went through some places they weren't supposed to be -- but don't remember the details.

Thanks for the info about the location of the church -- makes sense. My guess was that he went to church and then changed into the tee shirt, shorts, and tennis shoes for his walk/hike. I figured he was unlikely to wear those things in church, but I don't know the customs of that particular church. If he changed into those clothes after church, he presumably thought them adequate for whatever walk/hike he had planned...

Another article: http://www.pasadenanow.com/main/bod...pasadena-nonprofit-board-member/#.WZC_XEEpCaM

Search teams hunting for the missing board member of a Pasadena nonprofit, Sierra Madre resident Carl Foote, 58, concluded their efforts Saturday after the body of a man matching the physical description of Foote was found in mountains less than a mile east of Hastings Ranch.
The body has not yet been positively identified.

We held truck day at work for the kiddos on Saturday morning. S M Search and Rescue could not make it as they were searching for Mr. Foote.
And It appears he has been located.

:( I hope they can quickly determine if he's Carl or not so his poor wife can have closure.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ignoreme123
Back