No more cold beer sales??

Amraann

Former Member
Reaction score
http://www.comcast.net/news/politics/index.jsp?cat=POLITICS&fn=/2006/01/05/297953.html

By CHRIS BLANK, Associated Press Writer

document.write(getElapsed("20060106T030134Z"));Thu Jan 5, 10:01 PMUPDATED 19 HOURS 27 MINUTES AGO

JEFFERSON CITY, Mo. - A state senator wants to force Missouri stores to sell warm beer. Under a bill by Sen. Bill Alter, grocery and convenience stores would risk losing their liquor licenses if they sold beer colder than 60 degrees. The intent is to cut down on drunken driving by making it less tempting to pop open a beer after leaving the store.

Good thing it's not in Florida, huh Ams?? Seriously though, I think it's dumb, I mean you can just put the beers in the fridge after you buy them and still get in your car after downing a couple. I don't see this will stop people from drinking and driving in the long term.

MrsMush99 said:
Good thing it's not in Florida, huh Ams?? Seriously though, I think it's dumb, I mean you can just put the beers in the fridge after you buy them and still get in your car after downing a couple. I don't see this will stop people from drinking and driving in the long term.
I agree Someone might run out and figure I need more . Hop in the car and bam. I know with me. If I want to tie one on. I ask the wife to take me. I have not driven in over 22 years withe a drop of alchol in my system. To dang risky. :innocent:

lolol Mushy!

Really I would not drive while drinking. But I see the lawmakers point.

I have seen many people at convenience stores stopping in after work and grabbing a beer. They open it right in the car and the stores even give them little paper bags just right to cover a can..

Funny how those are never offered when you buy a coke?
Really I am far less concerned over someone on the way home from work buying one beer or even drinking it in the car. Although I would not IMO I don't think that is the drunk driver most of us worry about.

Those teenagers that manage to get beer don't normally carry coolers filled with ice, so that might help cut down on teenage beer drinking. It's a halfway measure, but not a bad idea---the liquor lobby will be crying about this one--I wouldn't doubt they have a very strong lobby. Not a bad rule for adults either.

A foolish idea from the start.Ok outlaw cold beer....Makes sense.....But then you must outlaw coolers and ice.As a person who loves beer I can assure the idiots that think this law is worth their vote(legislators) where there is a will there is a way.I do not drive after I drink anymore,but in my past I have(got the DUI on my record to prove it)and at that time nothing a store owner could do would have deterred me....OK so my beer aint cold,big deal it gets me just as drunk until the ice and cooler do their jobs....Simple common sense folks,to stop people from driving drunk you either stop selling alcohol all together...Tried that it didn't work.OR you outlaw driving period...Are you ready to give up your car to stop me from doing something I wish to do?

Buzzm1 said:
Those teenagers that manage to get beer don't normally carry coolers filled with ice, so that might help cut down on teenage beer drinking. It's a halfway measure, but not a bad idea---the liquor lobby will be crying about this one--I wouldn't doubt they have a very strong lobby. Not a bad rule for adults either.
Hehehe I can tell you've never met a teen who was determined to drink and drive....When I was 17 yrs old I owned approx 5 coolers....the ice was figured in with the beer price until OI got smart and bought the little blue things...LMAO 23 yrs later my mom has no clue why I needed so many of them

Buzzm1 said:
While I admittedly have not thought this all the way through, my initial reaction is with you on this Buzz. If it slows down the process and detours ANY drunk drivers , I'm all for it. Even if they do bring their own ice, it takes time to ice it down and they may be enough time to get them off the road..who knows?
Besides, what would it hurt? Mess up a few adult parties when they run out of brews and can't go pick up cold ones? Too bad.. just got to plan better :D

OT: Speaking of buzz:D ....I work with a title officer and his name is Butch. I keep calling him Buzz! he He keeps crying bean! I've known you all these years why are you calling me Buzz?!I guess I got Buzz on the brain! lol!

JBean said:
While I admittedly have not thought this all the way through, my initial reaction is with you on this Buzz. If it slows down the process and detours ANY drunk drivers , I'm all for it. Even if they do bring their own ice, it takes time to ice it down and they may be enough time to get them off the road..who knows?
Besides, what would it hurt? Mess up a few adult parties when they run out of brews and can't go pick up cold ones? Too bad.. just got to plan better :D

OT: Speaking of buzz:D ....I work with a title officer and his name is Butch. I keep calling him Buzz! he He keeps crying bean! I've known you all these years why are you calling me Buzz?!I guess I got Buzz on the brain! lol![/QUOTE
The vast majority of DUI's are not caught leaving a beer store....DUH I'm at the store buying it.As for the "ice downn time"most who drink regulrly can tolerate room temp,so thats pissin in the wind.The simple fact is IF a prson wishes to drink and drive YOU can NOT deter them.Outlaw cold beer,outlaw coolers,outlaw ice,hell out law evrything they'll find a way UNTIL you outlaw cars....Been there done that....your laws are trivial daydreams to the dedicated drinker.Sorry but thats life!

Outlawing cold beers won't stop a person who is determined to drink and drive. But it might slow down a teen who hasn't been drinking long. (though I have known some teens who would just as soon drink a warm beer as a cold one).
I grew up in a rural area, there was noting to do and no where to go.
Nothing except drinking and driving around. (think Grease, but not quite as exciting or as musical).
Teens quite often carried coolers.
But, if it slowed one teen down- it would be well worth it to make this a law.
Most kids are on curfew. So if they have to buy the beer, wait till it gets cold- they aren't going to have quite as much time to drink.

I'd be completely blown away if this legislation is passed. Especially since it's proposed for the state of Missouri, in which Anheuser Busch is headquartered.

proadvocate said:
JBean said:

OT: Speaking of buzz:D ....I work with a title officer and his name is Butch. I keep calling him Buzz! he He keeps crying bean! I've known you all these years why are you calling me Buzz?!I guess I got Buzz on the brain! lol!
The vast majority of DUI's are not caught leaving a beer store....DUH I'm at the store buying it.As for the "ice downn time"most who drink regulrly can tolerate room temp,so thats pissin in the wind.The simple fact is IF a prson wishes to drink and drive YOU can NOT deter them.Outlaw cold beer,outlaw coolers,outlaw ice,hell out law evrything they'll find a way UNTIL you outlaw cars....Been there done that....your laws are trivial daydreams to the dedicated drinker.Sorry but thats life!
They put restrictions on kids licenses around here to cut down on teen related deaths. Similarly, these kids can break those rules easily enough or get around them. But the few that do follow the rules may have their lives saved.
So, if this law can save a few lives every year and the only thing it limits is cold beer, who cares? Why not have it?

Truth be known, it sounds like a goofy law, but if it should pass, what the heck? I'd support it.

If not selling cold beer will save lives, I am all for it.

To tell you the truth, in the last few years, I have been more worried about the people driving and talking on their hand held cell phones than I have been drunk drivers (I probably should be real concerned about both). I am constantly watching out for people who are driving while using their phones because they seem to be in another world and not paying attention to what they are doing. Just yesterday my husband almost got hit in the grocery store parking lot by a lady talking on her cell phone. She said to him, "are you okay? I am so sorry, I was talking on my phone and just wasn't paying attention". grrrrr He told her he was fine, but did suggest that it might be a good idea for her to not talk on her cell and drive in the future. lol Then, later in the day I ran some errands and was forced to the side of the road because a woman on her cell phone wasn't paying attention. I don't think she had a clue that she was causing a problem. When I told my husband about the almost accident he asked me what type of car she was driving! lol He wondered if it could be the same woman he encountered in the grocery store parking lot.

Sorry I got off topic. Drinking while driving is very dangerous, but so are some people with cell phones.

Jean said:
Sorry I got off topic. Drinking while driving is very dangerous, but so are some people with cell phones.

Now THAT should be outlawed. The drinking & driving problem is out of hand but I think we've taken as many precautions, made as many laws, etc. as we possibly can to dissuade D&D. If they're going to stop selling cold beer, they darned well better outlaw talking on those flippin' cellphones while driving as well. If I had a nickel for every time a cellphone yakker almost hit me, I'd be rich. People.....stay the heck off your stinkin' phones while driving, thank you very much! No conversation is that doggone important that you need to be flapping your jaws while driving! If it is, then have the decency to pull over. If we're going to make it difficult for one group (the drinkers/drivers, which I agree it should be made difficult for them), let's not ignore other groups (the cellphone yakkers, for instance) who also cause accidents because they aren't paying attention!

Edited to add: And while I'm on a roll :p , what it boils down to is just driving responsibly, be it ensuring that one hasn't had too much to drink or are paying more attention to what's going on inside the car than outside. Putting that CD into the CD player isn't as important as paying attention to the road. Neither is that conversation on the cell phone. Heck, I've seen men shaving, women putting on their make-up and painting their nails......while driving!!!

Buzzm1 said:
Let's just call it "a mini-step on the right direction." If it eliminates any drinking and driving, it's a good thing.
I agree.

Daisy said:
[/b]

SNIP
Edited to add: And while I'm on a roll :p , what it boils down to is just driving responsibly, be it ensuring that one hasn't had too much to drink or are paying more attention to what's going on inside the car than outside. Putting that CD into the CD player isn't as important as paying attention to the road. Neither is that conversation on the cell phone. Heck, I've seen men shaving, women putting on their make-up and painting their nails......while driving!!!
A couple of years ago, here, a young gal in an SUV, ran over and killed, four young people on their bikes, by taking her eyes off the road and reaching for a CD in the backseat. It happens all too frequently.

Cell Phones, in vehicles, should at least be required to be the hands-free (headset) type. I think too many drivers are holding their cell phones with one hand, and don't hesitate to let go of the steering wheel, to use the other hand for something else. I caught my oldest son driving with his knees, while on his cell, and changing his CD's. Even though he is older, I didn't have any problem running him over the coals about that habit.

Buzzm1 said:
A couple of years ago, here, a young gal in an SUV, ran over and killed, four young people on their bikes, by taking her eyes off the road and reaching for a CD in the backseat. It happens all too frequently.

Cell Phones, in vehicles, should at least be required to be the hands-free (headset) type. I think too many drivers are holding their cell phones with one hand, and don't hesitate to let go of the steering wheel, to use the other hand for something else. I caught my oldest son driving with his knees, while on his cell, and changing his CD's. Even though he is older, I didn't have any problem running him over the coals about that habit.
Excellent suggestion, Buzzm1! Really that would be no different that speaking to a passenger in the car, as long as people use caution when putting on their headsets and dialing numbers. One thing that amazes me about cell phone use in vehicles is that I'll see people on the way to work that I KNOW just left their house...they've already got the cell phone glued to their ear! Why couldn't this call have been made from home? Or if they can get better deals by using the cell phone as opposed to the home phone, why not make the cell call from home as well? I don't get it. Seems people think it's cool or something to be seen with a phone glued to their ear while driving. Here in the Midwest, we have a list of "rules" (rather funny) for visiting our area. One reads "When out hunting, do not bring your cell phone. If you do and it rings while we're hunting, we will shoot it. You better hope you don't have it up to your ear at the time". Snicker snicker!

That's sad about that accident you told about! I've noticed that it's never the person who's screwing up that gets hurt...it's always the innocent victims. Grrrrrrr!

I, for one, remember drinking more than one warm beer in my teenage years (yuck). I doubt this law will curtail anything - the people who are determined to drink and drive are going to drink and drive no matter what. The teenagers who have not learned any better, alcoholics who know better but are unable to stop themselves from self-destructive behavior, and stupid people who know better and don't care what risks they may cause themselves or others.

Frankly, I have never seen the reason for the single cans of cold beer sold...especially the HUGE ones. We don't consume a lot of alcohol, including beer, and I do like the option of buying a cold 12-pack when we desire it.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Greer∆
Back