1398 users online (254 members and 1144 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 13 21 22 23
    Quote Originally Posted by somequestions View Post
    I had a thought about the case of J.B. Beasley and Tracie Hawlett today. I thought I knew where a store was located, but I was wrong because the store had moved. So I pulled out my smartphone and instantly got directions. It was close by.

I know there is disagreement as to whether they were lost. I agree you should never get emotionally involved in any sort of case, but if they were lost you cannot help but think wrong place, wrong time or wrong decade, unavailable technology. That is the sad part about this case.

It is ironic when you think about timing......if the same thing happened today? I guess you could ask that question about a lot of cases.
    You made me remember something with this post. Was the inventory that was released on HCR ever verified as being official? On that inventory was a cell phone. Cell phones were available back then just not used as we use them today. I remember 5 years prior to the murders rolling around with a bag phone! Anyway, I remembered seeing that cell phone listed and it raised a lot of questions for me. Anyone remember seeing this and anyone know if that inventory of the car was legit?

I got my first cell phone around that time. Lots of people were getting them and economical plans were making them easier to have. The problem was that service was sketchy or non existent in many areas. So if there was a phone, them being in a rural area most of the evening might've meant they had no service and relied on the pay phone.

Quote Originally Posted by killarney rose View Post
    I got my first cell phone around that time. Lots of people were getting them and economical plans were making them easier to have. The problem was that service was sketchy or non existent in many areas. So if there was a phone, them being in a rural area most of the evening might've meant they had no service and relied on the pay phone.
    A family member told me that J.B. had a cell phone. But, she had "monthly plan" that limited the number of minutes she could talk during each period and she had exhausted her minutes for the month.

Yep, I had forgotten about those limits and also roaming charges as well.

Quote Originally Posted by TooCurious View Post
    You made me remember something with this post. Was the inventory that was released on HCR ever verified as being official? On that inventory was a cell phone. Cell phones were available back then just not used as we use them today. I remember 5 years prior to the murders rolling around with a bag phone! Anyway, I remembered seeing that cell phone listed and it raised a lot of questions for me. Anyone remember seeing this and anyone know if that inventory of the car was legit?
    Though I don't have any inside information about the inventory listed on the HCR article, I believe it is legit. Carroll used it to bolster the "missing tapes" theory because 2 empty cassette tapes were found in the car.

Is anyone else extremely troubled by the fact that (according to the PI that posted on another forum) that the two boys the girls were going to meet in Midland City were never even interviewed by law enforcement? I don't know a lot about the PI other than his name was Cambron, and he was friends with Patty and Brett, JB's guardians at the time. Do any other sleuths have a full name or any contact information for him? I would at least like to reach out and invite him to this discussion if he is still alive. He is the one that suggested this murder was a lot like the murder in the true crime book "An Hour to Kill." In that book, the victim is murdered by a friend/ acquaintance that she ran into after her other plans had gone south for the evening. Anyone know how we could contact Cambron, the PI? I'm not even sure whether "Cambron"is his first or last name.

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog23 View Post
    Though I don't have any inside information about the inventory listed on the HCR article, I believe it is legit. Carroll used it to bolster the "missing tapes" theory because 2 empty cassette tapes were found in the car.

Is anyone else extremely troubled by the fact that (according to the PI that posted on another forum) that the two boys the girls were going to meet in Midland City were never even interviewed by law enforcement? I don't know a lot about the PI other than his name was Cambron, and he was friends with Patty and Brett, JB's guardians at the time. Do any other sleuths have a full name or any contact information for him? I would at least like to reach out and invite him to this discussion if he is still alive. He is the one that suggested this murder was a lot like the murder in the true crime book "An Hour to Kill." In that book, the victim is murdered by a friend/ acquaintance that she ran into after her other plans had gone south for the evening. Anyone know how we could contact Cambron, the PI? I'm not even sure whether "Cambron"is his first or last name.
    Cambron is his last name. I don't know his first name. I will try also to to find a contact # for him.

Back to the cell phone, wouldn't that cell phone record provide some sort of clue as to who she spoke with on a regular basis when no one was around? Could go a long way to include or exclude certain people ("V" for one). Technology wasn't what it is now and I think any secret relationships would have been uncovered because they wouldn't have been too secretive as to not use their phone to communicate. Anyone know if cell phone records were requested and thoroughly checked by OPD? Home phone? I have never heard or read info indicating this avenue has been explored.
    Same thing with Tracy. A lot of folks (me included) make this a JB centered case and maybe that's where we are all missing something. There are only 2 main scenarios, it was a stranger or it was someone JB knew. A look into Tracy and who she was the daughter of makes things interesting. Especially the whole missing tapes and what the tapes were to have been about. Also, wasn't it HER house that was broken in to be before the murder?

Great point. I remember someone saying (on another forum) that he believed that JB was the target, and she was baited into coming to Ozark by a phone call (possibly cell phone) earlier that same day. I've read that they made at least 3 calls from payphones that night, to the party (spoke with Jana's sister), to the boys they were meeting in Midland City (Not sure about this one), and the final call to Tracie's parents. I wish we could see phone records from both girls' homes and cell phones. Wouldn't prove who killed them...but might tell us why they went to Ozark. If I knew there was no contact with anyone from in or around Ozark in the days and weeks leading to the murder, that changes everything. If that is the case, we can assume it was a random abduction and murder. In several interviews that I have seen, former Chief Spivey said that they need a witness to be able to solve the case, and that is the missing piece of the puzzle. Maybe there were no phone connections to Ozark...

Quote Originally Posted by TooCurious View Post
    Back to the cell phone, wouldn't that cell phone record provide some sort of clue as to who she spoke with on a regular basis when no one was around? Could go a long way to include or exclude certain people ("V" for one). Technology wasn't what it is now and I think any secret relationships would have been uncovered because they wouldn't have been too secretive as to not use their phone to communicate. Anyone know if cell phone records were requested and thoroughly checked by OPD? Home phone? I have never heard or read info indicating this avenue has been explored.
    Same thing with Tracy. A lot of folks (me included) make this a JB centered case and maybe that's where we are all missing something. There are only 2 main scenarios, it was a stranger or it was someone JB knew. A look into Tracy and who she was the daughter of makes things interesting. Especially the whole missing tapes and what the tapes were to have been about. Also, wasn't it HER house that was broken in to be before the murder?

I was told that the cell phone records were checked and didn't produce any clue to whom the killer may be. J.B. had a cell phone (not sure if Tracie did or not) and evidently used it a lot. Thus, she had used all of her minutes and it wasn't functional on the night of the murders. Also, uncertain as to which day or how many days before the murders she had maxed out her minutes. MOO...She may have received the phone call luring them into Ozark on a home phone, which may not have shown up on phone records. Remember, this was 1999 technology.

Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 13 21 22 23