GUILTY IL - Kierra Garner, 6, dies of drug OD, Dolton, 5 Jan 2006

mysteriew

A diamond in process
Reaction score
A 6-year-old girl was found dead, lying next to her mother, who was unconscious and barely clinging to life in the family's south suburban Dolton home Thursday afternoon, police said.

A relative had gone to the home in the 15700 block of South Dobson and made the discovery. The relative called authorities about 1:35 p.m. Thursday, said Dolton Police spokesman Sean Howard.
http://www.suntimes.com/output/news/cst-nws-bodies06.html

mysteriew said:
A 6-year-old girl was found dead, lying next to her mother, who was unconscious and barely clinging to life in the family's south suburban Dolton home Thursday afternoon, police said.

A relative had gone to the home in the 15700 block of South Dobson and made the discovery. The relative called authorities about 1:35 p.m. Thursday, said Dolton Police spokesman Sean Howard.
http://www.suntimes.com/output/news/cst-nws-bodies06.html
That's just freaky! I wonder what they could have died from? :(

I hope the mother will get well enough to tell them what happened. This is really wierd.

Kierra was found by her grandmother Thursday in her family's home in the 15700 block of South Dobson in Dolton, according to a source. She was wearing pink pajamas and was on her mother's bed. Her mother was next to her, unconscious, authorities said.

An autopsy conducted Friday on Kierra was inconclusive, and her mother, Patrice Garner, remained in a coma at Ingalls Memorial Hospital in Harvey, said Sean Howard, a spokesman for Dolton police.

Howard said Patrice Garner opened her eyes once and responded to pain, but then slipped back into the coma.

A screening at the home did not reveal high levels of carbon monoxide, and pets inside the home were still alive. There was no sign of a break-in.
http://www.suntimes.com/output/news/cst-nws-bodies07.html

A Dolton woman found comatose next to the body of her 6-year-old daughter has been in and out of consciousness and has spoken briefly, officials said Friday.

Patrice Garner, 35, was taken to Ingalls Memorial Hospital in Harvey after her mother, Princess Oden, discovered her Thursday afternoon at home in the 15700 block of Dobson Avenue, lying in bed next to her daughter, Kierra, who was dead.

Garner's condition has improved and by Friday morning she had regained consciousness for short periods at least twice, said Dolton city spokesman Sean Howard.

Kierra's autopsy was completed Friday morning, but a cause of death was not yet available, said a spokesman for the Cook County medical examiner's office.

A toxicology report will not come back for weeks, he said.
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/chi-0601070214jan07,1,7692718.story?coll=chi-newslocal-hed

It was very common for Princess Oden to talk to her daughter Patrice "Patricia" Garner on the phone several times a day.
This was especially true when Patricia's husband — a traveling anesthesiologist — was out of town, and she and her young daughter Kierra were home alone. Sometimes, the two would even stay with Oden while he traveled.

So when Oden could not reach her daughter Thursday, she made her way to Garner's Dolton home and let herself in with a spare key, about 1:30 p.m.

Inside, she found Patricia and Kierra unconscious in the master bedroom. She called 911.
http://www.dailysouthtown.com/southtown/dsindex/06-ds6.htm

mysteriew said:
It was very common for Princess Oden to talk to her daughter Patrice "Patricia" Garner on the phone several times a day.
This was especially true when Patricia's husband — a traveling anesthesiologist — was out of town, and she and her young daughter Kierra were home alone. Sometimes, the two would even stay with Oden while he traveled.

So when Oden could not reach her daughter Thursday, she made her way to Garner's Dolton home and let herself in with a spare key, about 1:30 p.m.

Inside, she found Patricia and Kierra unconscious in the master bedroom. She called 911.
http://www.dailysouthtown.com/southtown/dsindex/06-ds6.htm

Did you catch were "would not comment on if drugs were found"

One possibility COULD be that the child got into some drugs, and died and the mother, guilt ridden, overdosed?

lostfaith said:
Did you catch were "would not comment on if drugs were found"

One possibility COULD be that the child got into some drugs, and died and the mother, guilt ridden, overdosed?

While that is always a possibility, don't forget there are very few homes where some type of drugs wouldn't be found. I know I have prescription drugs at my home. (LOL, nothing that would be used to get high though).
However, the toxicology reports haven't had time to come back yet.

"a traveling anesthesiologist"

What an odd term.

an anesthesiologist would know exactly what/how/when to kill someone without it being tied back to them. I would guess succinate choline... I think the dad had something to do with this...

mssheila said:
an anesthesiologist would know exactly what/how/when to kill someone without it being tied back to them. I would guess succinate choline... I think the dad had something to do with this...
My first reaction was he had something to do with it too...

mssheila - what? Did you spell that drug term right? I can't find those two terms in the same drug anywhere.

It seemed to me at first that it was gasses in the house. But the pets are still alive. That rules gasses out, I guess, although it would have been better to call the pets in the house "healthy" rather than "still alive".

I was intrigued that this married woman with a child talked to her mother on the phone several times a day. And the mother had a key to her daughter's house. And when the husband was gone, they typically stayed with the mother.

Very odd adult married mother behavior, it seems.

It sounds to me like the mother tried to poison herself and her daughter, and only successfully poisoned her daughter.

KatherineQ said:
I was intrigued that this married woman with a child talked to her mother on the phone several times a day. And the mother had a key to her daughter's house. And when the husband was gone, they typically stayed with the mother.

Very odd adult married mother behavior, it seems.
I don't find this odd - my SIL talks to her mom multiple times per day, and doesn't stay overnight alone in her house. Anytime my hubby leaves town, my daughter and I go stay w/ my parents. 'Course I'm a fraidy cat, and can't sleep if hubby isn't home, so I'm not saying it's normal, just saying it's not odd to me. :)

Ang - okay, fair enough! ;D

This whole lifestyle just seems strange to me. I email my extended family nearly ever day, in a group email, so maybe that's kind of the same thing.

I just keep having the feeling that this mother tried to kill herself and her daughter. Based on the family dynamics.

KatherineQ said:
Ang - okay, fair enough! ;D

This whole lifestyle just seems strange to me. I email my extended family nearly ever day, in a group email, so maybe that's kind of the same thing.

I just keep having the feeling that this mother tried to kill herself and her daughter. Based on the family dynamics.
Yes - I don't really understand the talking every day, but I do understand the staying over... :)

I could see a possible explanation - rich, traveling doctor with wife seeking attention?? Attempted suicide can be attention seeking behavior. I just hate to speculate on why you include the child, but it's not unheard of.

Paradise said:
Anesthesiologists travel?! :waitasec:
Yep, they do :) All sorts of doctor's travel to our small town and rural areas all over the country.

Does sound like a funny phrase though :D

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
julandken
Back