Identified! MI - Ingham Co., Remains found in Container in Grand River, Aug'17 - Leon Lockwood

Gardener1850

Timeline Guru (Still Remembering Cupcake)
Reaction score
[h=1]Body parts found in container in the Grand River[/h]
AURELIUS TWP. - Human remains were found in the Grand River on Friday near the McNamara Canoe Landing in western Ingham County.
Ingham County Sheriff's deputies were called to the intersection at South Waverly Road and West Columbia Road, about eight miles west of Mason.
Several people were pulling debris from the river when they discovered what they thought may have been a human bone, according to a news release from the sheriff's office.

Deputies responded and found a "strong indication" that additional remains could be submerged. The news release did not indicate a time for the call.
The Capital Area Dive Team responded and found a submerged container with additional human remains.
http://www.lansingstatejournal.com/...emains-found-container-grand-river/561936001/

OMG. I have relatives in Mason [emoji33] and around the area.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

The only missing person from Mason that I can find is Franklin Gottschalk, missing since 1997. Some of his items were found on the Shiawassee St Bridge in Lansing, which goes over the Grand River. Divers searched the river and found nothing. I wonder if it's possible for remains in a container to travel that far down the Grand River?

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...ason-2-Feb-1997&highlight=Franklin+Gottschalk

https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/9159/

Distance from the bridge to the Canoe Landing near where these remains were found: https://www.google.com/maps/dir/42....573eb87d9d1dd6!2m2!1d-84.6005448!2d42.5827685

Of course this could be any missing person from Ingham County, MI or elsewhere. Just thought Franklin's story was interesting.

Yeah, could very well float that far, or even farther.

Though it sounds like he was suicidal, and I can't quite figure out any scenarios where a suicidal jumper's remains would wind up in a plastic container...

He's the most likely person at the moment, given limited information.

Paige Renkowski was last seen in Fowlerville, right on 96, which would put her only about 30 minutes away, too.

Paige Renkowski was last seen in Fowlerville, right on 96, which would put her only about 30 minutes away, too.
Paige disappeared in 1990, and large plastic containers weren't ubiquitous then like they are now, so I'd say the odds favor a more recent case. I tend to think Franklin Gottschalk was a suicide, so I'll be surprised if the remains turn out to be his.
I've been following the Danielle Stislicki case closely, but so far we haven't heard about the POI in that case having any connections to Ingham County.

Paige disappeared in 1990, and large plastic containers weren't ubiquitous then like they are now, so I'd say the odds favor a more recent case. I tend to think Franklin Gottschalk was a suicide, so I'll be surprised if the remains turn out to be his.
I've been following the Danielle Stislicki case closely, but so far we haven't heard about the POI in that case having any connections to Ingham County.

I wasn't stating that I believed it was Paige or Franklin, I was simply pointing it there are plenty more cases that are local that could be considered aside from the 5 links posted above my comment. Paige was from Okemos and went missing in Fowlerville while on her way home. She lived around 10 miles from this so when I saw someone had posted a few links for others missing in the mid-90s, I just wanted to point out there could be several others to consider. Not limited to Ingram County -- Livingston, Shiawassee, Jackson and Eaton are all within a 30 minute drive. I also think plastic storage bins were used plenty in the 90s but we can agree to disagree on that. My parents used to keep Christmas lights in them and my grandparents used the barrel type to store dolls and books. We've got a zillion of the. In my parents' basement. I don't think that fact alone is dispositive of anything. It's weird they haven't told reporters if it was a man, woman or child yet. I really hope it's not a kid.

I have followed Danielle's case very closely, as well. Her parents are from Fowlerville (which is ironically where Paige Renkowski went missing from), and again, is about 25-30 minutes away from the location where thy found this body. I do not believe it is her whatsoever but it would be interesting to know if her driver's license had her Farmington Hills address on it or her parents' Fowlerville address on it.

Upstream is more likely than immediately in the neighborhood, I would think.

One of my relatives says it looks to him like it must have been washed against the side of the bridge during this spring's high water. But that's just an opinion, nothing official.

One of my relatives says it looks to him like it must have been washed against the side of the bridge during this spring's high water. But that's just an opinion, nothing official.

Your relative is probably right. We've had SO MUCH rain and strong storms in the area this year. It seemingly would've had to smack against the bridge or shoreline hard enough to crack open a portion large enough for a "human bone" to come out and be found by the people picking up river debris.

Ice and the current can move things, but it would be rare for a non-buoyant object to travel very far. There isn't much of a current on the bottom of a river. If the container was somewhat buoyant while the body was decomposing, then it could have traveled farther, but my guess is that it went into the water very close to where it was found.

Ice and the current can move things, but it would be rare for a non-buoyant object to travel very far. There isn't much of a current on the bottom of a river. If the container was somewhat buoyant while the body was decomposing, then it could have traveled farther, but my guess is that it went into the water very close to where it was found.
Yeah, probably. I would think a plastic container might float for miles, depending on how watertight the lid was. And in a good-sized river at high water, objects can be tumbled along the edge of the current for quite a distance, especially over time. I doubt if it came from north of Lansing, but the I94 bridge seems in range.

Yeah, probably. I would think a plastic container might float for miles, depending on how watertight the lid was. And in a good-sized river at high water, objects can be tumbled along the edge of the current for quite a distance, especially over time. I doubt if it came from north of Lansing, but the I94 bridge seems in range.

That was my initial thought as well... plastic would float after a while. Then again, it's hard to speculate without knowing what was put in it. How large of a person/belongings and was any weight added, etc. Not to get too graphic, but I remember a few cases out of Detroit where the plastic containers were subsequently filled with cement after the person and evidence was placed in. All of that weight (or not) would make a difference on how far it traveled.

I hope t wasn't anything like that. I hope they ID whomever it was as quickly as possible with little complication so their family can get some answers. I can't even imagine the not knowing while seeing the story on the nightly news.

That was my initial thought as well... plastic would float after a while. Then again, it's hard to speculate without knowing what was put in it. How large of a person/belongings and was any weight added, etc. Not to get too graphic, but I remember a few cases out of Detroit where the plastic containers were subsequently filled with cement after the person and evidence was placed in. All of that weight (or not) would make a difference on how far it traveled.

I hope t wasn't anything like that. I hope they ID whomever it was as quickly as possible with little complication so their family can get some answers. I can't even imagine the not knowing while seeing the story on the nightly news.
I'd like to see a quick ID, too, but unless there was something like a wallet with an ID found with the bones, it may take a while. One hopes that the skull is present and intact so that LE can get dental x-rays.

[h=1]Police: Human remains found in river might be homicide victim[/h]
AURELIUS TWP. - Police say human remains found Friday in the Grand River west of Mason may belong to a homicide victim.

But Ingham County Sheriff's officials aren't releasing any other information about the investigation.

"We are treating it as a homicide," said Detective Sgt. Chauncy Shattuck, who declined to elaborate.
http://www.lansingstatejournal.com/...-found-river-might-homicide-victim/566400001/

No hard news from relative, but he has heard them talk about partial remains much more than he'd like...

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SashaRhea82
Back