Identified! CA - Castro Valley, UID Female, 14-18, May'03 - Yesenia Nungaray

mysteriew

A diamond in process
Reaction score
After two years, Alameda County Sheriff's investigators still don't know the name of the dead girl buried in the grave decorated with flowers and an angel sculpture. They don't know where she lived, why she died, or who killed her.

Dudek and about 20 other investigators and community members gathered Thursday at Lone Tree Cemetery to remember Jane Doe, a young girl whose body was found May 1, 2003 in a green canvas bag in the parking lot of a Castro Valley coffee shop.

http://www.contracostatimes.com/mld/cctimes/news/11579322.htm

Alameda County sheriff's Sgt. Scott Dudek goes to work each day and waits for the phone to ring. He hopes the call will be the one that resolves the most vexing case in his career -- the death and dumping two years ago of an adolescent girl, known only as Jane Doe, outside a Castro Valley restaurant.

So far it's been a series of dead ends: The caller who said he may have talked to the killer as he was leaving the restaurant. The mothers of missing girls in Mexico who submitted DNA but none of it matched Jane Doe's.

Now Dudek hopes that the latest twist, a necklace and another item left last week at the girl's grave in Hayward, may lead to a name for the girl and to her killer.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2005/05/29/BAGV7D0J7O1.DTL

I wonder what makes them think the necklace is significant? could be just a tribute from another child?

Authorities today will announce the posting of a $50,000 reward for information leading an arrest and conviction in the slaying of a girl whose body was found dumped behind a Castro Valley restaurant two years ago.

The Castro Valley Jane Doe, a brown-haired girl believed to be of mixed race, was 12 to 17 years old, about 5 feet 1 inch tall and weighed 110 pounds.

http://www.contracostatimes.com/mld/cctimes/news/local/crime_courts/11941433.htm

[font=arial,verdana,geneva,lucida][size=-1]http://www.doenetwork.us/cases/410ufca.html[/size][/font]

410UFCA3.jpg
410UFCA6.jpg

Unidentified Biracial Female

* The victim was discovered on May 1, 2003 in Castro Valley, Alameda County, California
* Estimated Date of Death: almost 2 weeks
* Cause of Death: Asphyxiation by Strangulation
* Partially Decomposed

Vital Statistics

* Estimated age: 14 - 18 years old
* Approximate Height and Weight: 5'1"; 110 lbs.
* Distinguishing Characteristics: Long, wavy brown hair worn in butterfly clip. Ears single pierced. No scars or tattoos. She had never had a baby. Her bones showed she was a mix of races.
* Dentals: She has nearly perfect teeth.
* Clothing: Shirt with Tommy Sports across middle, primarily red with a blue and white chest area, blue with yellow and black plaid flannel pajama pants and light colored socks. Medium-size Gold hoop earrings etched with a cross-cross or "Roped" pattern.
* Fingerprints: Available
* DNA: Available

410UFCA2.jpg

http://www.insidebayarea.com/localnews/ci_3380355

Excerpts:

'48 Hours' aims to help ID Jane Doe

CASTRO VALLEY — In the 31 months since the body of a young girl who would become known as "Castro Valley Jane Doe" was found behind a popular restaurant, Alameda County sheriff's Sgt. Scott Dudek has worked tirelessly to solve the case.
Since April, Dudek has poured dozens of hours into helping producers of the television news magazine and "48 Hours" correspondent Harold Dow prepare for the hourlong segment.

Dudek cannot help but hope the show will generate leads that have so far eluded investigators.

"They've got the No. 1 viewership," Dudek said. "And they're devoting the entire show to the case. They were also given permission to flash up phone numbers that people can call. We're going to be nationwide, and that should be huge for us."

Dudek, however, is hoping to get a break after "48 Hours Mysteries" airs a national segment on the unsolved murder at 10 p.m. today on CBS (KPIX-Channel 5 in the Bay Area).

Note: The Doe Network states the estimated age as 14-18, this article states it as 12-17. Hopefully someone will recognise her from school, or the neighborhood
confused.gif
She had a home after all, she was found in pyjamas!

The investigating officer has obviously put in a lot of effort in trying to identify this young girl. I did a check on www.missingkids.org and had an original list of 10 possibilities. Subsequent google searches led me to websites that listed more information about the disappearances, or information about tattoos, etc., that eliminated them from my list.

The only one I have left is:

410UFCA6.jpg
NCMC954254c1t.jpg

Karen Jamileth Giron Molina

http://www.nampn.doenetwork.us/cases/molina_karen.html
Karen is listed as 1" shorter and listed as having black hair. Missing since January 21, 2003 from Goldsboro, NC
http://www.doenetwork.us/cases/images/410UFCA6.jpg

Sure looks like the photo of Karen Jamileth Giron Molina to me... I can't help but wonder myself?

I think "she" has been on America's Most Wanted a couple of times and no hits. This show goes international tonight, perhaps someone in the world will know her and bring her home.

Unfortunately I won't get to see the show. I hope someone that sees it will let us know how good it is.

I agree with you talelight... let someone recognise her and bring her home!

Thank you Anthrobones for that link! Very informative and
woohoo.gif
for the nod and appreciation for Doe Network volunteer Ellen Leach!

I found this particularly interesting:
"So police have been keeping an eye on her grave to see who might be drawn to visit her. And one day it paid off: they found an intriguing clue.

A necklace and a note were found on Jane Doe's headstone. "The note was actually strung through the necklace, so it was attached to it. 'God loves you, it’s OK, baby girl, Jim is paying for what he did to you,'" says Dudek.

Sgt. Dudek hopes that DNA and fingerprint tests on those items will provide some answers. But it will take weeks, perhaps months, to find a match and he doesn’t want to waste any time."

Wow... could Jane Doe's killer really be named Jim? Who left the note? Or is it something else?

When I first saw the sculpture I thought she looked like she was Native...

I will try to summarize the show enough so you know about the girl, but the link I provided in the prior post basically goes over the entire show.

Show said she was stuffed in a trash bag, which was found behind a restaurant. She had a rag in her throat.
She was asphyxiated.
She was dead for approximately 10 days.
They have fingerprints.
5'1", ~110 lbs, early teens
Good health, good teeth
Tommy Hilfiger outfit was a fake (wasn't really TH brand)
The community decided to save money to have her buried.

I'll take this directly from the site, so it will be straightforward:

"Then investigators got a clue: an anonymous letter in the mail.

The letter writer claimed to have seen someone get “something from the trunk” of a car and dump it into the very same bushes where the body was found.

"We asked this person to come forward and we would keep him anonymous," says Dudek. "However unfortunately he chose not to come forward at that point.”

This potential witness admitted in the letter that he was reluctant to come forward because he himself had been in that parking lot “waiting for a married girlfriend.”

Dudek says the person is a huge witness. "He’s got to make the decision and do the right thing.”

Age is 14 to 17.
Many features (from the skull) are European, but she has some features of Asian or Native American origin.

They mentioned Doe Network. One woman (I don't know if she posts her) searches missing persons to try to find a match with Jane Doe.

Then they started discussing another case in which a facial reconstruction done by Frank Bender was matched by this woman (Ellen Leach is her name) from a missing persons report online.

More from the written site of the show:

"But her identity is only one part of the mystery. Why, after two years, has no one claimed her? Detectives have a theory: that someone out there knows exactly who she is and what happened to her but the person is too afraid to come forward.

So police have been keeping an eye on her grave to see who might be drawn to visit her. And one day it paid off: they found an intriguing clue.

A necklace and a note were found on Jane Doe's headstone. "The note was actually strung through the necklace, so it was attached to it. 'God loves you, it’s OK, baby girl, Jim is paying for what he did to you,'" says Dudek.

Sgt. Dudek hopes that DNA and fingerprint tests on those items will provide some answers. But it will take weeks, perhaps months, to find a match and he doesn’t want to waste any time."
Leach thought she found a match for Jane Doe (they didn't mention the name of the little girl, but she was from California. I couldn't see the name good--but they showed Leach's computer screen with the photo of the girl's Doe Network (i think it was Doe and not Charley Project..) profile on it.

Does Ellen post here? I wonder if she could post the names/links of the missing girls that were ruled out to save the rest of us from searching those same files for now.

I have no idea if Ellen posts here. I am not a Doe Network member. I do think it was cool of the TV show to tip the hat in the direction of "armchair detectives" like Ellen... and you and me!

http://www.nampn.doenetwork.us/cases/lebron_bianca.html

lebron_bianca1.jpg
410UFCA6.jpg
lebron_bianca_AP.jpg

Left Bianca age 10-Center Jane Doe-Right Bianca Aged Progress to Age 12

Bianca, aged 10, was abducted from school in November 2001 by a non family member she referred to as an "uncle".

A man named Jason was arrested, and although the family was aquainted with him, and he had a friend who owned a similiar van as the one Bianca was abducted in, he was never arrested for her disappearance. He also looked a lot like the sketch of the abductor:
lebron_suspect.jpg

1. Bianca would have been 12 years old in 2003 when Jane Doe was found. This age matches the original age range, but not the revised age range.

2. Bianca is supposed to have a very small mole in the center of her forehead. Its not visible on either photo so I'm wondering if it might have been not visible on Jane Doe (as there was some decomposition).

3. Bianca had brown hair, so does Jane Doe. This is the only stat we can use as Bianca's height would have changed in the 2 years she was missing.

4. If Bianca was abducted is it possible she was brought to California, from Connecticut?

5. SPECULATION: Is Jason the "Jim" mentioned in the note? Did he kill her because authorities were getting closer to figuring out his part in the abduction?

6. I believe the age progression photo of Bianca looks startlingly like Jane Doe.

For some basic Bianca's case go to:
http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26&highlight=lebron

For an indepth article about Bianca's disappearance go to:
http://www.crimelibrary.com/missing_children/bianca_lebron.html

I came across this photo, with a sketch of her in the background. Thought I'd post it as it might be helpful to someone.

I still think Jodierenee's suggestion is worth calling in!

cityside.1.gif

well i emailed the Visalia Police Dept (where Brittany is from)
I tried to find the email for the Alameda County Sheriff's Dept but every time I open up the homepage, it closes on me. For some reason I am reluctant to call...i feel like they will think i'm stupid or just brush me off! Someone else is welcome to call though...

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni
Back