Solar Eclipse Across America, August 21, 2017

Ambitioned

Reaction score
I didn't know where to put this. I also didn't see a thread on this. If I'm wrong please delete.

So who all is in the path or near the path? I'm in the SC path (99%) so will be watching. I have my ISO eclipse glasses that I bought yesterday.

My yard is an acre so am thinking of charging people $5 to sit and watch. Or... mow some of my yard and sit for free. (Yes I'm joking!)

Here is a picture of my path. Good luck to all on Monday! Make sure your glasses are certified and take care of those eyes! I've heard some say they will just watch on TV and I don't blame them.

attachment.php

Attachments

• TSE2017_state_overview_SouthCarolina.jpg
    TSE2017_state_overview_SouthCarolina.jpg
    213.1 KB · Views: 138
Will be in SC for the big event-- in an area of total darkness.

We are traveling from Austin to St Joseph, MO. Starting to get excited about the adventure!

Have fun to all the travelers.

We are in the midst of having tornado damage repaired to our home. The two fellows doing the siding speak very little English. Good hard workers, clearly immigrants from Mexico or Central America.

Their foreman called me this afternoon, and sheepishly asked if these fellows could work tomorrow (Sunday) as they are refusing to come to work Monday because of the eclipse.

I was taking my youngest down to college in Evansville, IN (98% zone) and there are signs all along US 41 warning people that no roadside stopping will be allowed during the eclipse.

Finally, does everyone realize there are not millions of blind animals around the world from all of the previous eclipses? The FB post that tells you not to let one's pets 'look up' or they'll be blinded is making me nuts. STARING at it will harm you, looking up briefly will not. Sheesh.....

We are traveling from Austin to St Joseph, MO. Starting to get excited about the adventure!

Hope you haven't left yet, it is supposed to be cloudy in St Joe on Monday!

MON
AUG 21
PM Thunderstorms
88°70°
50% S 13 mph 76%

Mostly cloudy in the morning with scattered thunderstorms developing later in the day. High 88F. Winds S at 10 to 20 mph. Chance of rain 50%.

This is from Weather.com

We are in the midst of having tornado damage repaired to our home. The two fellows doing the siding speak very little English. Good hard workers, clearly immigrants from Mexico or Central America.

Their foreman called me this afternoon, and sheepishly asked if these fellows could work tomorrow (Sunday) as they are refusing to come to work Monday because of the eclipse.

I was taking my youngest down to college in Evansville, IN (98% zone) and there are signs all along US 41 warning people that no roadside stopping will be allowed during the eclipse.

Finally, does everyone realize there are not millions of blind animals around the world from all of the previous eclipses? The FB post that tells you not to let one's pets 'look up' or they'll be blinded is making me nuts. STARING at it will harm you, looking up briefly will not. Sheesh.....

There are signs along I-70 heading into Kansas City warning about Heavy traffic on Monday due to the Eclipse. We are in the 98 - 99% range.

Best of luck to those who are planning on looking. I choose not to and will look out the window if it is not cloudy.

I was just out on our deck so that I could see the exact angle of the sun at 2:27PM (EDT) that is the scheduled time of the eclipse. Current forecast for metro-Detroit calling for mostly sunny skies, but weather forecasters don't always get it right :D

I can't wait! I'm in the 93.5% and am going to the top of my mountain to record it.

Hope you haven't left yet, it is supposed to be cloudy in St Joe on Monday!

MON
AUG 21
PM Thunderstorms
88°70°
50%S 13 mph76%

Mostly cloudy in the morning with scattered thunderstorms developing later in the day. High 88F. Winds S at 10 to 20 mph. Chance of rain 50%.

This is from Weather.com

I'm just along for the ride. If the driver backs out due to weather I'll be sad but it's ok. Fingers crossed it clears up though!

I won't see it. It will be 85 percent eclipse here, but we are to have dense cloud cover and storms that day. Typical for Wisconsin--whenever something like this occurs, it's a safe bet that we will miss it.

I'm just along for the ride. If the driver backs out due to weather I'll be sad but it's ok. Fingers crossed it clears up though!

Good I hope the forecast is wrong. You just never know.

The actual eclipse take place within 1 1/2 hours, the total black out is 2 minutes.

August 21, 2017 — Great American Eclipse (Total Solar Eclipse)

https://www.timeanddate.com/eclipse/solar/2017-august-21

There is a place on this website you can enter your city and it will tell you when and how much of the eclipse you can see.

August 21, 2017 — Great American Eclipse (Total Solar Eclipse)

https://www.timeanddate.com/eclipse/solar/2017-august-21

There is a place on this website you can put in you location and it will tell you how long and about how much of the eclipse you can see. My location is about 99.6% and last 2 hrs and 45 minutes from start to finish.

We are 70% zone, so not sure what to expect. We are going to a lakeside park where a member of a local astronomical association will have a telescope with filter. . .and perhaps some of the highly-sought-after eclipse glasses!

Full here with massive crowds expected. Not going anywhere and staying off the roads! Will watch from my deck

I live just a wee bit north of Salem, OR and we'll get 98%. Taking the morning off from work to watch it from home, as long as the clouds cooperate. Near the Columbia river, we frequently have morning overcast that doesn't burn off until noon. Hoping for clear skies like this morning.

ETA Some friends are at the Symbiosis festival in the Ochoco Forest in Central/Eastern Oregon. They are volunteering so they left on Tuesday, long before the 30 mile backups on Highway 26 that made the news on Thursday.

ETA #2 (lol) Just found my kiln glasses (not quite as dark as welding glasses) and wearing them over a super dark pair of sunglasses, the phone flashlight test looked fine.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni
Back