Amphetamines

beesy

myspace.com/beesy_boo
Reaction score
I found this information about amphetamines:
"Amphetamines speed up the nervous system and cause adrenalin to be released. This increases the heart and respiration rates, increases blood pressure and decreases appetite. In a sense, Amphetamines (by causing a release of adrenalin) mimic the "fight or flight response". This is a natural survival mechanism of man/womankind that operates in a dangerous situation - such as the approach of a hungry lion....At such times the body will automatically go into 'fight or flight' mode... amphetamine users tend not to eat or sleep and burn off a lot of energy by physical activity, the body becomes exhausted - both physically and mentally - after a long period of amphetamine use. As a result users often feel fatigued and depressed for a few days after using amphetamines and may also feel irritable, anxious and restless. Other side effects include blurred vision, sleeplessness, and dizziness. Many women who use amphetamines find that their periods become irregular or even stop... High doses, especially if frequently repeated, can produce delirium, panic attacks, hallucinations, delusions and feelings of paranoia."
http://www.recovery.org.uk/druginfo/index.html

And this:
Long term psychological effects can include insomnia, mental states resembling schizophrenia, aggressiveness, addiction or dependence with accompanying withdrawal symptoms, irritability, confusion, and panic. Chronic and/or extensively continuous use can lead to amphetamine psychosis which causes delusions and paranoia, but this is uncommon when taken as prescribed. Amphetamine is highly psychologically addictive, and with chronic use tolerance develops very quickly. Withdrawl is, although not physiologically threatening, an unpleasant experience (including paranoia, depression, difficulty breathing, dysphoria, gastric fluctuations and/or pain, and lethargia. This commonly leads chronic users to re-dose amphetamine frequently, explaining tolerance and increasing the possibility of addiction.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amphetamine
Does anyone know if Darlie has stated how many pills a day she took? Or is there any information about the actual Rx? I think she was on them longer than she should have been, according to the drug label. Is that right? Anybody?

There is only one true Amphetamine ( speed) for weight loss on the market, as has been the case for many years. The drug is Desoxyn.

ALL of the other drugs like Phentermine ( Fastin, etc) are not true Amphetamines. Was Darlie taking Desoxyn?

Since I don't know anything about this part of the Darlie story, could you give me a link to a drug screen which tested positive for Amphetamines?

Darlie could have taken Xenedrine and called it an Amphetamine, IMO. Just sayin'.

Thanks for reading my post.

Thinkoflaura said:
There is only one true Amphetamine ( speed) for weight loss on the market, as has been the case for many years. The drug is Desoxyn.

ALL of the other drugs like Phentermine ( Fastin, etc) are not true Amphetamines. Was Darlie taking Desoxyn?

Since I don't know anything about this part of the Darlie story, could you give me a link to a drug screen which tested positive for Amphetamines?

Darlie could have taken Xenedrine and called it an Amphetamine, IMO. Just sayin'.

Darlie was taking PhenFen, and she had been taking it for three months. She only had about 20 pounds to lose, so she shouldn't have even been on it at all, and they say it is not recommended to be taken for more than a month continuously and she had been taking it three times that long. As far as I know, she was taking it as prescribed. They tested her for drugs and found only that in her system, no street drugs or prescriptions she was not prescribed.

beesy said:
I found this information about amphetamines:
"Amphetamines speed up the nervous system and cause adrenalin to be released. This increases the heart and respiration rates, increases blood pressure and decreases appetite. In a sense, Amphetamines (by causing a release of adrenalin) mimic the "fight or flight response". This is a natural survival mechanism of man/womankind that operates in a dangerous situation - such as the approach of a hungry lion....At such times the body will automatically go into 'fight or flight' mode... amphetamine users tend not to eat or sleep and burn off a lot of energy by physical activity, the body becomes exhausted - both physically and mentally - after a long period of amphetamine use. As a result users often feel fatigued and depressed for a few days after using amphetamines and may also feel irritable, anxious and restless. Other side effects include blurred vision, sleeplessness, and dizziness. Many women who use amphetamines find that their periods become irregular or even stop... High doses, especially if frequently repeated, can produce delirium, panic attacks, hallucinations, delusions and feelings of paranoia."
http://www.recovery.org.uk/druginfo/index.html

And this:
Long term psychological effects can include insomnia, mental states resembling schizophrenia, aggressiveness, addiction or dependence with accompanying withdrawal symptoms, irritability, confusion, and panic. Chronic and/or extensively continuous use can lead to amphetamine psychosis which causes delusions and paranoia, but this is uncommon when taken as prescribed. Amphetamine is highly psychologically addictive, and with chronic use tolerance develops very quickly. Withdrawl is, although not physiologically threatening, an unpleasant experience (including paranoia, depression, difficulty breathing, dysphoria, gastric fluctuations and/or pain, and lethargia. This commonly leads chronic users to re-dose amphetamine frequently, explaining tolerance and increasing the possibility of addiction.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amphetamine
Does anyone know if Darlie has stated how many pills a day she took? Or is there any information about the actual Rx? I think she was on them longer than she should have been, according to the drug label. Is that right? Anybody?
See my post to laura.

Thinkoflaura said:

She tested positive for amphetamines in the bloodwork done in the ER. A picture of the test results is in MTJD. Darlie never said "I'm taking amphetamines." She said she was taking Rx diet pills. Remember this was in 1996. I've never seen anything written saying what brand of diet pills it was. Goody says Fen-Phen and that's probably right.

Goody said:
Darlie was taking PhenFen, and she had been taking it for three months. She only had about 20 pounds to lose, so she shouldn't have even been on it at all, and they say it is not recommended to be taken for more than a month continuously and she had been taking it three times that long. As far as I know, she was taking it as prescribed. They tested her for drugs and found only that in her system, no street drugs or prescriptions she was not prescribed.
The test only shows a positive or negative, not the amount of amphetamines found. But, like you said, she had been on them longer than she should have been and it is well known those are very dangerous drugs. Wonder if LE ever counted her pills?

beesy said:
The test only shows a positive or negative, not the amount of amphetamines found. But, like you said, she had been on them longer than she should have been and it is well known those are very dangerous drugs. Wonder if LE ever counted her pills?

Hmm good question. I doubt they did or even thought of it. Darlie couldn't sleep at night because she was taking diet pills in my opinion anyway. I don't think it had much to do with the baby keeping her awake. As a former user, I know the effects of one pill are minimal so you jack up your usage quite quickly so maybe she was taking more than one a day.

beesy said:
They would not need to count the pills. They could tell by the level of drugs in her system if she had been abusing the diet pills. They drew blood when she was in the hospital. When they get a postive reading....they do a panel and they figure out how much is in their blood. I read it somewhere. I will try to find it.

deandaniellws said:
They would not need to count the pills. They could tell by the level of drugs in her system if she had been abusing the diet pills. They drew blood when she was in the hospital. When they get a postive reading....they do a panel and they figure out how much is in their blood. I read it somewhere. I will try to find it.
The only thing I've ever seen is the picture of the positive screen for amphetamines. Even if she had a theraputic level in her system at the time, if they had counted her pills they could easily see if she had the right amount of pills left. Of course, that opens up all kinds of crap like maybe Darin or Basia or another friend took them. But, even if she wasn't taking too many of the pills, she had been on them longer than the FDA's recommendation.I've mentioned before about Dana and Darin. If Darlie had an actual pathologic paranoia going on brought on the diet pills, it is possible for her to stew and imagine all kinds of things which weren't happening between Dana and Darin. Stew to a [font=arial,sans-serif][size=-1]sizzling p[/size][/font]oint when Darin walked in the door. The side effects also are aggressiveness and delusions. Long-term use can cause these things just as taking too many can. And as cami said, your body builds up tolerance to this type of drug and you must take more. Tolerance occurs with long-term users. That's why they say not to take them long.
I take Ativan for my seizures and it's listed as a narcotic by the FDA. It is very hard not to take a few extra, but I know I can't because then I'll just have to take more. It makes sense that Darlie upped the dose herself or had the Dr. do it.
I am not giving Darlie an excuse here. I just find it interesting. Jeff Macdonald admits to taking more Rx diet pills per day than was prescribed and we all know what happened with him

beesy said:
The only thing I've ever seen is the picture of the positive screen for amphetamines. Even if she had a theraputic level in her system at the time, if they had counted her pills they could easily see if she had the right amount of pills left. Of course, that opens up all kinds of crap like maybe Darin or Basia or another friend took them. But, even if she wasn't taking too many of the pills, she had been on them longer than the FDA's recommendation.I've mentioned before about Dana and Darin. If Darlie had an actual pathologic paranoia going on brought on the diet pills, it is possible for her to stew and imagine all kinds of things which weren't happening between Dana and Darin. Stew to a [font=arial,sans-serif][size=-1]sizzling p[/size][/font]oint when Darin walked in the door. The side effects also are aggressiveness and delusions. Long-term use can cause these things just as taking too many can. And as cami said, your body builds up tolerance to this type of drug and you must take more. Tolerance occurs with long-term users. That's why they say not to take them long.
I take Ativan for my seizures and it's listed as a narcotic by the FDA. It is very hard not to take a few extra, but I know I can't because then I'll just have to take more. It makes sense that Darlie upped the dose herself or had the Dr. do it.
I am not giving Darlie an excuse here. I just find it interesting. Jeff Macdonald admits to taking more Rx diet pills per day than was prescribed and we all know what happened with him
I will try to find that article.

beesy said:
I don't think any attention was paid to the diet pills, probably because it was a prescription and perfectly legal. It should also be noted that they found no illegal substances in her system, and no alcohol.

Goody said:
I don't think any attention was paid to the diet pills, probably because it was a prescription and perfectly legal. It should also be noted that they found no illegal substances in her system, and no alcohol.
Yes, they were legal and no nothing else was found in her system, but those are very dangerous drugs. It would have been more interesting to her defense team than to the state the amount she had in her system. She could have changed her story to a "drug-crazed moment". Haha I know she'd never do that, but it is interesting, especially when you look at the Mac case as well.

beesy said:
Yes, they were legal and no nothing else was found in her system, but those are very dangerous drugs. It would have been more interesting to her defense team than to the state the amount she had in her system. She could have changed her story to a "drug-crazed moment". Haha I know she'd never do that, but it is interesting, especially when you look at the Mac case as well.
I think it is the combination of things that may have created the monster, not just the diet pills. You have a depressed person, maybe suffering from PPD on top of her normal depression (which I think she probably had from childhood), money pressures on top of that, difficulties with active children, difficulties with husband, much of which probably stemmed from money issues, and these diet pills interfering with her sleeping habits, resulting in rubbing her emotions and nerves raw. In that way, I think the diet pills might have played a role here.

Phenfen is back on the market, I think. At one point,it was taken off the market because it caused heart disease in some people. People died from it. There is no official record that it caused anyone to kill though. Paxil and Xanax, etc. do have some reported cases of such things, but I couldn't find a thing on Phenfen. However, occassionally someone pops up who has taken it and tells horror stories about what it did to them emotionally, so I think Darlie could have had a strong defense if she had only told the truth about what happened. That is assuming, of course, that she was taking the pills regularly and that they did indeed play a significant role here. Because we don't know exactly what happened in the days preceding the crime, we can't know if the diet pills pushed her over the edge or if something else is at the bottom of this.

Goody said:
I think it is the combination of things that may have created the monster, not just the diet pills. You have a depressed person, maybe suffering from PPD on top of her normal depression (which I think she probably had from childhood), money pressures on top of that, difficulties with active children, difficulties with husband, much of which probably stemmed from money issues, and these diet pills interfering with her sleeping habits, resulting in rubbing her emotions and nerves raw. In that way, I think the diet pills might have played a role here.

Good post darlin!!!

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Goody said:

Phenfen is back on the market, I think. At one point,it was taken off the market because it caused heart disease in some people. People died from it. There is no official record that it caused anyone to kill though. Paxil and Xanax, etc. do have some reported cases of such things, but I couldn't find a thing on Phenfen. However, occassionally someone pops up who has taken it and tells horror stories about what it did to them emotionally, so I think Darlie could have had a strong defense if she had only told the truth about what happened. That is assuming, of course, that she was taking the pills regularly and that they did indeed play a significant role here. Because we don't know exactly what happened in the days preceding the crime, we can't know if the diet pills pushed her over the edge or if something else is at the bottom of this.
Agreed...but she screwed up and went with the old "I didn't do it" defense

Jeana (DP) said:
Good post darlin!!!

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Thanks, I could use a bravo or too lately. hahahahahah.

First of all, the (Phen) part of Phen-Fen never went away. It is available from almost any doctor and also on the Internet for about the same price.
Phen stands for Phentermine. It is a central nervous stimulant, and comes in tablets which are higher dosage but shorter acting and time release capsules, which are more dangerous because they can be either punctured or pulled apart for an immediate rush.

The Dexfenfluramine ( Fen) part of Phen-Fen was discontinued from the US market when a possible correlation between primary pulmonary hypertension and lab rats was found. Many people safely used the combination of medications, some apparently do have heart damage from a high dose regimen. Dexfenfluramine was a British/ European import. Women used it there for weight loss first.

Neither drug is an Amphetamine. They are synthetic drugs with properties similar to amphetamines, but neither is classified as an amphetamine.

The one left on the market, Phentermine, can cause a false positive in a drug test in the same way that over the counter cold pills which contained a small amount of PPA, a potent antihistamine with the chemical name of Phenylpropalanine, can. PPA has been removed from US cold medications within the past 3-4 years. The official and partly true reason was that it also raised blood pressure in people who were hypertensive. The other reason is that it was extracted and used in meth labs.

Also, the cases of psychosis which may be correlated to the prescription diet drug's usage in the dosage recommended have mostly been in people with underlying Bi-Polar or Schizophrenia. I don't know what Darlie's psychometric testing showed, or if any was done.
Physical tolerance is usually not a problem with this class of drug, although some people will abuse any possible substance from huffing hairspray to drinking Lysol.

Thinkoflaura said:

Also, the cases of psychosis which may be correlated to the prescription diet drug's usage in the dosage recommended have mostly been in people with underlying Bi-Polar or Schizophrenia. I don't know what Darlie's psychometric testing showed, or if any was done.
Physical tolerance is usually not a problem with this class of drug, although some people will abuse any possible substance from huffing hairspray to drinking Lysol.
I don't think the diet pills CAUSED a psychosis. In fact, I don't think there was a psychosis at all. I think the diet pills simply kept her awake ...or made it more difficult for her to sleep soundly.....and the interference with sleep and the general nervousness that comes with diet pills grated on her nerves, which were already stretched thin because of an underlying depression piled on top of PPD piled on top of her daily stressers, which ultimately blurred the lines she normally would never have crossed. Once on the other side, she felt she had no choice but try to hide what she'd done. At least that is my theory on what most likely happened.

Thinkoflaura said:
First of all, the (Phen) part of Phen-Fen never went away. It is available from almost any doctor and also on the Internet for about the same price. Phen stands for Phentermine. It is a central nervous stimulant, and comes in tablets which are higher dosage but shorter acting and time release capsules, which are more dangerous because they can be either punctured or pulled apart for an immediate rush. The Dexfenfluramine ( Fen) part of Phen-Fen was discontinued from the US market when a possible correlation between primary pulmonary hypertension and lab rats was found. Many people safely used the combination of medications, some apparently do have heart damage from a high dose regimen. Dexfenfluramine was a British/ European import. Women used it there for weight loss first.
Neither drug is an Amphetamine. They are synthetic drugs with properties similar to amphetamines, but neither is classified as an amphetamine
I never said Darlie was taking Phen-Fen, Goody did. Nor did I say it was taken off the market. Goody did. I did however say that Darlie tested positive for amphetamines in the ER. It doesn't matter what freaking brand she was taking for Christ's sake. She tested positive for amphetamines. The end, period!
Also, the cases of psychosis which may be correlated to the prescription diet drug's usage in the dosage recommended have mostly been in people with underlying Bi-Polar or Schizophrenia. I don't know what Darlie's psychometric testing showed, or if any was done
Darlie clearly fits the profiles of a narcissistic and histrionics personality disorder. She admits to having PPD. Research shows that long-term use beyond what is recommended by the FDA can cause psychosis in extreme cases. It's also possible for someone to have a psychotic break and then return to normal(that person's normal self that is) Once Darlie was in the hospital, she was not given anymore of her diet pills.
Are you kidding? Amphetamines, while sometimes legally prescribed, are a very additive street drug. Both mentally and physically. With any narcotic there is a tolerance increase. Why don't you ask an addict how they came to be one. Due to your writing skills, I cannot tell if you are talking specifically about Phen-Fen or true amphetamines. I am and have been talking about Darlie's positive test for amphetamines.
I am not saying the diet pills alone caused Darlie to freak out. I don't know what made her do it. I do know that from what I've read, she was showing some signs of the bad side effects of the diet pills she was on.
There is picture of Darlie's lab results taken in the ER which show she tested positive for amphatmines in MTJD, page 481

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
legalpyro74
Back