Hurricane Harvey - August 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coldpizza

Retired WS Staff
Reaction score
Hurricane Harvey Rapidly Intensifying; Strongest Texas Coastal Bend Landfall in At Least 47 Years Likely; Extreme Flood Threat
Aug 24 2017

MAX_WEB_TROP_ATL9_storm_info_1280x720.jpg

Story Highlights
Harvey has become a hurricane in the Gulf of Mexico and is strengthening.

It will make landfall as a formidable hurricane Friday night or early Saturday morning along the Texas Gulf Coast.

Harvey will then stall or meander for a few days, leading to a dangerous flood threat in parts of Texas and Louisiana.

Extreme rainfall leading to severe flooding, storm surge flooding, and damaging winds are all threats.

Hurricane, tropical storm and storm surge warnings have been issued for parts of Texas.

Harvey has rapidly intensified into the third hurricane of the 2017 Atlantic hurricane season and may become the nation's first Category 3 landfall in almost 12 years, poised to hammer the Texas Gulf Coast with an extremely dangerous combination of torrential rainfall, storm-surge flooding and destructive winds this weekend, before taking a strange, meandering path next week.

Stay safe everyone and please check in. :grouphug:

Hurricane Harvey called 'grave risk' ahead of landfall in Texas

DIARJS_UQAAEj2v.jpg

Hurricane Harvey is now being considered life-threatening and considered a "grave risk" by the National Hurricane Center as the "rapidly intensifying" storm is now forecast to become a Category 3 storm before making landfall on the Texas coast.

The head of the National Weather Service said Harvey is a "grave risk to the folks of Texas."

Forecasters believe the storm, predicted to have 125 mph winds, and bringing upwards of 20 inches of rain to parts of Texas, might last for longer than expected, according to the Hurricane Center.

Thanks Coldpizza for starting this thread! Checking in from East Texas. I'm about 50 miles from Lufkin! Expecting rain and wind for sure probably much like Ike! Prayers for everyone in the storm's path to be safe!

Hi Everyone,

We have so many Websleuths members in Texas that I hope you start checking in. Please let us know you are OK.

I am in San Antonio helping a friend. Even San Antonio will be affected by this hurricane. Not anything scary like those closer to the gulf but we will see heavy rains I am told.
Check in please?
Thank you,
Tricia

Hurricane Harvey Rainfall Poses Danger to Ill-Prepared New Orleans

As a major hurricane churns in the Gulf of Mexico, New Orleans is facing the biggest threat to public safety since Katrina ravaged the city 12 years ago. With a large number of pumps and turbines out of service, it is not clear if the city is ready for Hurricane Harvey, and the city is studying emergency evacuation plans.

Three of the five power turbines that power the 120 pumps that are supposed to keep the low-lying city from being swamped by rainwater are not working. And 15 of those pumps were offline because of repairs.

Earlier this month, substantial rainfall caused the Lakeview and Mid-City neighborhoods to flood, soaking some areas in knee-deep water because the city’s pump and drainage systems were not at full capacity. Harvey is expected to pour another five to 10 inches of rain on the city.

I'm slightly NW of Houston, hoping the rain here will be spread out over several days as predicted so the flooding won't be too severe. Best wishes to all affected.

Gosh! Be safe everyone! Ike hit in September of 2008. We had lots of rain and wind from Ike! It's peak hummingbird season. They are sucking my feeders dry every day getting ready to migrate this fall. Wind from Ike blew my feeders sideways and the hummers really had to fight the wind to feed. Thinking of you Tricia and geevee!

I remember Ike like yesterday Bootsctr, so much destruction along the coast, power out for weeks in many areas, one of my worst memories though was the night it came in, the screaming wind for hours on end, there's just nothing (and nothing good) like the sound of a hurricane as it passes over you. Rita was the same way even though it was further away, unearthly screeching all night long.

I'm getting cold chills thinking of that screaming wind Geevee! No rest for sure! I remember Rita too! I watched the storm peel the tin roof off our neighbor's barn. There is truly nothing like the power of Mother Nature in action.

Hey Coldpizza! Thanks for starting this thread! Well boy howdy, I am sitting in Corpus Christi, and our reality is about to change. I think we will be okay, but sure could use your best wishes (or whatever is right for you) - I have mostly posted in the Caylee forum (rip)but I lurk and check her regularly) . Thanks in advance - I cannot predict when I can access this site again :scared::cheers:

Bootsctr, Geevee, Tricia, and everyone else who may be in the path of the destructive effects from Harvey ... be prepared, and stay safe.

Glad to have this thread. I will be checking in often as the storm comes through. Hoping all our friends will be OK. Please do check in when the news reports start reporting damages ..... I am known to be the best worrier in the world, prayers and hopes for all of you.

Hey Coldpizza! Thanks for starting this thread! Well boy howdy, I am sitting in Corpus Christi, and our reality is about to change. I think we will be okay, but sure could use your best wishes (or whatever is right for you) - I have mostly posted in the Caylee forum (rip)but I lurk and check her regularly) . Thanks in advance - I cannot predict when I can access this site again :scared::cheers:

Are you going to be evacuating?

Bootsctr, Geevee, Tricia, and everyone else who may be in the path of the destructive effects from Harvey ... be prepared, and stay safe.

Glad to have this thread. I will be checking in often as the storm comes through. Hoping all our friends will be OK. Please do check in when the news reports start reporting damages ..... I am known to be the best worrier in the world, prayers and hopes for all of you.

As a veteran of many hurricanes I will definitely be worrying for our friends with you.

Are you going to be evacuating?

No - sigh. We are barely inland and a touch (and I do mean a touch) south of the expected landfall (prayers to Rockport and Aransas Pass please), but our land is on high ground. We may be sorry, but are riding it out. We are NOT under evacuation orders. But we will be impacted - and may be sorry. Keep an eye on that thing, we will be. Thanks for your thoughts ( it's actually very agreeable now - hot, but we always are this time of year)

Prayers for all who may be in the path of Harvey.
Be safe.

I'm thinking about everyone in this storm's path. Stay safe. ❤️[emoji992]

[emoji202]MOO

My dear friends live in McAllen. Any updates there? I know they don't want me to worry so it is hard to get a straight answer.

other thread up it wont let me delete>

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?347570-Hurricane-Harvey-August-2017&p=13585081&posted=1#post13585081

Hurricane Harvey - AMS - fears an “epic flood catastrophe"

Man he blew up

Hurricane Harvey first Category 3 hurricane to hit the U.S. mainland in 12 years.

He is gonna be a bad bad boy

The eye is really tight bad news

Harvey rapidly intensified Thursday morning in the central Gulf of Mexico, and it officially became a hurricane early in the afternoon.

The extremely dangerous storm is predicted to strengthen and plow into southeast Texas ...

An incredible amount of rain, 15 to 25 inches with isolated amounts of up to 35 inches, is predicted along the middle and upper Texas coast, because the storm is expected to stall and unload torrents for four to six straight days.

Frances did that here ugh she would not go away - for days.

Mand evac have been issued

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/capital-weather-gang/wp/2017/08/24/rapidly-strengthening-harvey-forecast-to-slam-east-texas-as-major-hurricane-and-stall/?utm_term=.06adf82644ac

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CSIFLGIRL46