Found Deceased SC - Durham DeLaura, 35, Lake Murray, 25 Aug 2017

Gardener1850

Timeline Guru (Still Remembering Cupcake)
Reaction score
Search continues for missing boater after child found alone on Lake Murray

lake%20murray

LAKE MURRAY, SC Crews are continuing to search for a missing boater on Lake Murray Saturday morning after a child was found alone on a boat Friday night.

A man is believed to have fallen out of his 15-foot-boat sometime between 6 and 6:30 p.m. Friday after leaving Sandy Beach on Bundrick Island, according to Capt. Robert McCullough, a spokesman for the S.C. Department of Natural Resources.

The man’s 4-year-old daughter was found drifting alone on the boat near Panorama Point, McCullough said. Crews began searching for her father shortly after the missing boater report was received around 7 p.m.

How awful! She must have been petrified!

[h=3]Columbia officials confirm missing boater on Lake Murray is a former fireman[/h]
Officials would only confirm that they are treating this as a fatal boating accident at this time, but people at the scene are hoping that this is a search and rescue mission. A body has not been recovered.

Columbia Fire officials confirmed on Saturday that the missing boater was a former fireman.
A neighbor not too far from the dock found a 4-year-old child in a boat, and the person the child was boating with, her father, was not in the boat. Authorities say that child was not injured.

The search began around 7:30 p.m. Friday evening although DNR officials believe the man fell out of the boat sometime between 6 p.m. and 6:30 p.m. The boat then drifted with the child inside for about 30 minutes.
http://www.wistv.com/story/36221398...-in-lake-murray-agencies-searching-for-driver

Oh that poor girl! [emoji20]

Sent from my SCH-I435L using Tapatalk

Name released: (WLTX) -- The Department of Natural Resources just released the name of the man who is missing on Lake Murray after falling out of a boat Friday night.

DNR officials say they are still searching for 35-year-old Durham Alexander Delaura of Lexington. They say Delaura was once a firefighter for the Columbia Fire Department.

http://www.wltx.com/mobile/article/...sing-father-on-lake-murray-released/467763816

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How awful. Where were the life preservers?

Wow! That poor baby. Thank God she didn't get into the water looking for her daddy. I wonder if he had a medical emergency and fell overboard? Praying he's found safe. There's still a chance if he was wearing a life jacket, right?

How awful. Where were the life preservers?

Since he hasn't been found yet, we don't know that he wasn't wearing one. Even with a life preserver on it's possible to fall and hit your head on a rock or have a heart attack or stroke and fall out of the boat into the water.

Lewis says around 6:30 p.m. they received a call that a small child had been found alone on a boat near Panorama Point. She had been spotted by herself by people in nearby homes who went out to get her. The father's identification was in the boat, allowing DNR to identify him.

Lewis says the limited information they have about the incident itself came from the 4-year-old. She told them that her father had fallen out of the boat and that she heard a bump.

Lewis says DNR was able to get security camera footage from other homes in the area, and have been making a timeline and establishing a search area.
http://www.wltx.com/news/local/4-ye...ll-out-of-boat-dnr-search-continues/467655062

BBM.

she said he fell out of the boat and she heard a bump?
Yikes...
At first I was cringing, thinking he went into the outboard
motor, (I too immediately thought of the Matthew Meinert
story) but the same article states the boat was found in
neutral, with the key switched off.

Unless, maybe during that estimated hour she was out
there all alone, she perhaps switched it off herself?
Children can be observant little monkeys...
glad she managed to stay safe, but it's not looking so
well for her father.

"She said, 'Daddy fell, and he went deep, deep, deep,'" said one of the rescuers who asked that we keep her identity private. "I don't think I'll ever forget those words. From a four year old."

For almost an hour, the 4-year-old girl drifted alone on Lake Murray after watching her father fall off the boat.

She drifted into the backyards of people on Panorama Point, who say they knew something was wrong.
"She's in the boat alone, she's standing, we don't see anybody around," the rescuer said.

That's when her husband rushed to pull the four-year-old's boat in. Nearby neighbors ran into grab her off the boat.

"My neighbor scooper her out of the boat, wrapped a towel around her," the rescuer said.

The rescuer said she was shocked at how calm the little one was.
"Amazingly brave, she didn't cry," the rescuer said, "but she told us she did cry. She said, 'I did cry, and I did say help, help!'"

The rescuer said the four-year-old asked the rescuers if they could find her dad, but after awhile, said something heartbreaking.
"She just put down her sippy cup and she said, 'I think my daddy's dead,'" the rescuer said. "And we... you know, none of us wanted to gasp, but our hearts were breaking."
http://www.wfmynews2.com/news/local...scuer-says-of-girl-found-on-sc-lake/468764582

:cry: This poor little girl. Breaks my hearts.

Alcohol may have played a factor. http://www.thestate.com/news/local/article170583892.html

Drunk or sober, the child should have at least been wearing a life jacket. Thank God she was not harmed.

ITA

ETA: 5 beers? That's all? Granted we don't know the time frame (5 beers in a few minutes, hours, etc) but that doesn't seem like a lot. Especially if it was like Bud Lite or something.

Thankful they found his body and await the results of the autopsy.

I wonder if he went under the boat to check on something and hit his head on the way back up causing the "bump" noise?

ITA

ETA: 5 beers? That's all? Granted we don't know the time frame (5 beers in a few minutes, hours, etc) but that doesn't seem like a lot. Especially if it was like Bud Lite or something.

I didn't think it sounded like a lot either. Unless they were double IPAs or something. I think there HAD to be some kind of "event" that happened. Hit head, heart attack, stroke....something! This guy was a professional rescuer for a living. Or used to be. Seems so highly unlikely that he wouldn't be able to get himself back into the boat if he was conscious. I understand that not everything the little girl has said has been released, but I wonder if she said anything at all like, "he asked me to throw him a life jacket." "He said not to worry." Anything.

im thinking he had one in hand when he fell, since there were 5 empty and 6 in the cooler :(

he was young to have left the fire dept if he loved the job. wonder if he was medically retired?

ITA

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hoist Gracie