Princess Diana died 20 years ago - memorial thread

gregjrichards

Reaction score
Twenty years ago, on the 31st of August 1997, the late Princess Diana died in a tragic car crash in Paris when she was only 36 years old. It was news that shocked the world and left many people distraught and in a state of disbelief.

I am very sorry the Princess did not get to live a long life and find happiness. It is very sad indeed she never got to see William and Harry grow up to be fine young men. I am sure she would have loved to know the Duchess of Cambridge and would have doted on George and Charlotte.

Please share your condolences and any memories you wish to share here.

May Diana, Princess of Wales Rest In Peace.

I will never forget the day I heard that Princess Diana passed away.....it was such a shock and I was so in awe of her. She was such a compassionate, beautiful and caring person and watching her hug her two little boys always warmed my heart. William and Harry are so impressive and they truly loved their mother. The concert they hosted several years back in her honor was amazing and I am sure she was looking down on them, as always, with immense pride. Such a beautiful lady!

I will never forget the day I heard that Princess Diana passed away.....it was such a shock and I was so in awe of her. She was such a compassionate, beautiful and caring person and watching her hug her two little boys always warmed my heart. William and Harry are so impressive and they truly loved their mother. The concert they hosted several years back in her honor was amazing and I am sure she was looking down on them, as always, with immense pride. Such a beautiful lady!

Lovely post Blondie In Spokane. I totally agree with you and don't think there will ever be another Lady like her. Diana did so much good in the world. I saw photos of Princess Diana at Gianni Versace's funeral and it is still hard to believe that she too would be dead a little over a month later.

I sat up all night in shock watching the news coverage, waiting for the awful confirmation that she had died. I saw some of the early photos of the crash and they haunt me. She was a great inspiration for millions, including me.

Times have changed so much since then. the Internet and social media has killed the mystique that celebrities and royalty used to have I think. There will definitely never be anyone like her again, partly because she was an amazing person in so many ways but partly because society has just changed so much. We're all too cynical, skeptical and critical now to ever hold anyone on a pedestal anymore. Everyone just wants to know the dirt.

I remember that day - I remember finding out about the car crash in the morning - heard about it on the radio at home - then mum and I went out shopping and as we were driving home listening to the radio, came the news she had died. We were numb and in shock! Couldn't believe it. Felt like the end of an era, I was just finishing high school at the time so I think that compounded the feeling.

IMG_0805.jpg

I am attaching a photo from my trip to Althorp Estate, Northamptonshire, England in 2010. If you zoom in you will see a memorial situated on the lake where Diana is reported to be buried. Althorp Estate is the childhood home of Princess Diana and it had been on my bucket list to visit for many years. I actually met her brother Charles Spencer whilst I was there, quite by accident!
Diana and I are only 3 weeks apart in age and when she came on the scene I followed her journey and her fashion style through life with great interest. I remember I was purchasing fruit at a local produce store when I heard the news there had been an accident and Princess Diana, at the time, was reported to have a broken leg. Then not long after I heard about her passing. What an awful shock, we were stunned.
However I think the biggest grief for me was when we watched Prince William and Kate marry...without Princess Diana there to experience and now with 2 little grandchildren...it's far too sad.
Bless you Princess Diana, Queen of Hearts.

Times have changed so much since then. the Internet and social media has killed the mystique that celebrities and royalty used to have I think. There will definitely never be anyone like her again, partly because she was an amazing person in so many ways but partly because society has just changed so much. We're all too cynical, skeptical and critical now to ever hold anyone on a pedestal anymore. Everyone just wants to know the dirt.

I remember that day - I remember finding out about the car crash in the morning - heard about it on the radio at home - then mum and I went out shopping and as we were driving home listening to the radio, came the news she had died. We were numb and in shock! Couldn't believe it. Felt like the end of an era, I was just finishing high school at the time so I think that compounded the feeling.

For us there was no message of a crash. Just a shocking announcement that she was dead and it was written at the bottom of the screen as if people couldn't believe it. I immediately thought, "they killed her, but we wont know for years." Can't have the mother of the future king married to a Muslim. She deserved happiness and seemed she finally found it. She also looked pregnant on that boat.

I remember in great detail learning of Princess Diana's untimely death just like I recall Kennedy's assassination and Challenger explosion. DH and I were spending a long weekend "up north" at friends' cottage on Grand Traverse Bay. No cable TV, limited channels, static on the radio. We watched a video of Edward Scissorhands and decided to stay up to watch local 11:00 news before going :eek:fftobed:

Local NBC TV station was issuing ***Breaking News*** report about the accident with very few details. By the time we went to bed, there had not been any word on the Princess' condition. We learned the following morning that Diana had died from injuries sustained in the horrific crash. We hadn't planned to head home until the following day, but I said that I couldn't stand not having access to more news about Diana's death. We quickly packed, cleaned up the cottage, and headed home. I spent the next week glued to CNN's coverage of the aftermath of the accident, the funeral, etc. Rest in Peace, Princess Di :rose:

I remember in great detail learning of Princess Diana's untimely death just like I recall Kennedy's assassination and Challenger explosion. DH and I were spending a long weekend "up north" at friends' cottage on Grand Traverse Bay. No cable TV, limited channels, static on the radio. We watched a video of Edward Scissorhands and decided to stay up to watch local 11:00 news before going :eek:fftobed:

Local NBC TV station was issuing ***Breaking News*** report about the accident with very few details. By the time we went to bed, there had not been any word on the Princess' condition. We learned the following morning that Diana had died from injuries sustained in the horrific crash. We hadn't planned to head home until the following day, but I said that I couldn't stand not having access to more news about Diana's death. We quickly packed, cleaned up the cottage, and headed home. I spent the next week glued to CNN's coverage of the aftermath of the accident, the funeral, etc. Rest in Peace, Princess Di :rose:

BBM - I too was glued to CNN for a week. Such memories of total disbelief! Tom Cruise being interviewed about horrendous paparazzi chases he said he too had endured in Paris, very few details of Diana's crash were released but seeing the wrecked car made my stomach turn, the outcry/outrage from the British citizens about how the funeral procession was to be held, the Queen finally making a statement after several days of silence, the boys being dragged off to church the morning after Diana passed, and the saddest memory of all.....watching William and Harry walking behind Diana's casket. Still hurts to recall those sad, sad memories.

Diana and her sons are the only royals that I have any respect for. I don't think the rest of the royals ever gave her the respect she deserved.

Diana and her sons are the only royals that I have any respect for. I don't think the rest of the royals ever gave her the respect she deserved.

At least we know for sure William and Harry are at least 50% human.....

I remember when my Mom called on the phone and told me "you've been teaching in the wrong obscure kindergarten."

Lady Diana's engagement to Prince Charles had been announced that day!

A lovely role model for so many of us, in so many ways!

RIP, Princess Diana, we are enjoying your grandchildren!

The "People's Princess"...how she would be so proud of her sons and her adorable grandchildren. Such a tragedy.

Sorry to say, I still can't stand Charles. Or Camilla.

On the night she died, I was up late and TV was on. Broke in to say there was a crash, Dodi had died but Diana only had a broken arm. That was the first report. I stayed up and it was several hours later that they announced Diana had died. So it went from a broken arm to dead with nothing in between. Such a shock.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
boymom0304
Back