UT - Salt Lake City Nurse Arrested for Refusing to Draw Blood Sample

Tawny

Reaction score
[video=youtube;hJPVglqR4yM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJPVglqR4yM[/video]

This is insane, she was following the policy of the hospital. Why did the police not just get a warrant? Unbelievable. I hope she sues the whole police department.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

Respect to Alex Wubbels for taking her job seriously and protecting the rights and privacy of her patients. Disgusted by the "detective" that obviously cannot control his anger. So ridiculous that her supervisors and co-workers could confirm she was correct and she is still "arrested". He needs to be fired ASAP

This is insane, she was following the policy of the hospital. Why did the police not just get a warrant? Unbelievable. I hope she sues the whole police department.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

More than just following the policy of the hospital, she was following the law. Police need a warrant for blood draws. Why didn't they just get one?

I'm also disappointed that the University police did nothing to stop the police from manhandling and arresting her. They just stood by and let the detective go after her. And where was the hospital attorney? They should have sent their attorney down to explain the policy to LE and defend the nurse. No one was protecting her rights or safety as they should have.

Watching the video makes me feel like I have stepped into an altered reality.

hmmm seems someone didn't like their authority to be questioned and doesn't like the word "no". The police must stop being militarized.

I just watched the video of this. It's insane!

Outrageous bullying, good for her for standing up to it with dignity.

From the link above

The patient at the center of the drama was a truck driver who was injured when his vehicle collided with that of another driver who was fleeing police

Maybe that was the source of the officer's determination to get the blood sample no matter what, so the injured driver would be blamed for the accident and not the police chase.

I've been a nurse for 40 years. In general, I have had nothing but good professional relationships with law enforcement officers of all stripes.

However, I was fired from a job because a member of LE lied about a conversation we had regarding a shooting victim. This person was a rookie. I was an experienced nurse in a supervisory position. It took me almost three years to recover from it- personally and professionally.

I regard this incident in SLC and mine as aberrancies. Wrong- but not typical of LE in general.

This has been really painful to write about- and this is the ONLY forum I have felt comfortable enough to post this in.

To, me, this is just plain straight out assault, by a man misusing his authority toward a woman who was correctly using her authority.

I wonder if he would have been such a bully if it were a male doctor who would not give him permission.

I agree, the police office Jeff Payne appears to be an older man. At one point in the video he says "she can sit in the car and we can talk", ie 'I don't take orders from no nurse.'

I looked up the crash the unconscious patient had been in. He'd been driving his transport truck in the right hand lane when the vehicle being chased suddenly crossed two lanes of oncoming traffic and smashed into him, producing a horrific ball of fire. No way was the patients blood composition of the slightest relevance in the crash.

http://www.cachevalleydaily.com/news/local/article_7ed7fffe-763c-11e7-b79f-ff8270105f8d.html

If this is this his behavior now I wonder how many of his other arrests were questionable.

The lady has indicated she is not filing a lawsuit. I kind of hope she changes her mind.

The officer has not been suspended. Just reassigned.

I note that the outrage is almost universal. I believe there would be less outrage and more trying to blame her for "resisting" or being "aggressive" with the officer if she looked different. She may have been treated even more violently as well.

The second officer who crouched down and blatantly lied to the nurse needs to be held accountable as well.

Finally, the chief of police is giving the community lip service. It lessens our faith in LE. Besides the nonsense of simply reassigning the cop, he also gave us the same tired story about an "investigation." All that is about is delaying until the outraged public moves onto something else and he can quietly sweep it under the rug.

Also, he stated that as a result of this, they have changed their policy. What? Their policy didn't need to be changed. It needed to be followed. Police should know the law they are tasked with enforcing and never lie about it.

This is shameful. What was the charge he felt he was arresting her for? He threw a tantrum and his violent tantrum was backed by a badge add a gun and his fellow officers. Disgusting. To bodily lift and drag and angrily arrest a professional who is acting calmly and logically, is repulsive. It's assault and false imprisonment.

I believe most LE are good people but when the powers that be allow this stuff to occur without consequence it gives the impression that everyone is like this.

The lady has indicated she is not filing a lawsuit. I kind of hope she changes her mind.

The officer has not been suspended. Just reassigned.

I note that the outrage is almost universal. I believe there would be less outrage and more trying to blame her for "resisting" or being "aggressive" with the officer if she looked different. She may have been treated even more violently as well.

The second officer who crouched down and blatantly lied to the nurse needs to be held accountable as well.

Finally, the chief of police is giving the community lip service. It lessens our faith in LE. Besides the nonsense of simply reassigning the cop, he also gave us the same tired story about an "investigation." All that is about is delaying until the outraged public moves onto something else and he can quietly sweep it under the rug.

Also, he stated that as a result of this, they have changed their policy. What? Their policy didn't need to be changed. It needed to be followed. Police should know the law they are tasked with enforcing and never lie about it.

This is shameful. What was the charge he felt he was arresting her for? He threw a tantrum and his violent tantrum was backed by a badge add a gun and his fellow officers. Disgusting. To bodily lift and drag and angrily arrest a professional who is acting calmly and logically, is repulsive. It's assault and false imprisonment.

I believe most LE are good people but when the powers that be allow this stuff to occur without consequence it gives the impression that everyone is like this.

Your post sums up exactly what I feel in much more eloquent terms.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back