It is now a crime to annoy someone via the internet

IdahoMom

Former Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
FYI

http://msn-cnet.com.com/Create+an+e-annoyance,+go+to+jail/2010-1028_3-6022491.html?part=msn-cnet&subj=ns_3-6022491&tag=msn_home&GT1=7645&GT1=7645

snip

A new federal law states that when you annoy someone on the Internet, you must disclose your identity. Here's the relevant language.

"Whoever...utilizes any device or software that can be used to originate telecommunications or other types of communications that are transmitted, in whole or in part, by the Internet... without disclosing his identity and with intent to annoy, abuse, threaten, or harass any person...who receives the communications...shall be fined under title 18 or imprisoned not more than two years, or both."

So does this mean that I should give up on the webpage I was creating, LOL?

LOL the Justice Department is going to have to increase its manpower to inforce this law. I get annoyed atleast 10 times a day. Should I send Dubya a list of who annoyed me today?

Ok, from reading this article.....it appears that by if a news site writes an article about someone, and they annoy them, they are ok. But if they post it on their website....then they can be charged. If we post an article, and make a comment, and it annoys someone.....we can be charged, unless we add our real name. This is BS!

tybee204 said:
LOL the Justice Department is going to have to increase its manpower to inforce this law. I get annoyed atleast 10 times a day. Should I send Dubya a list of who annoyed me today?
LOL. I think the bolded part goes to the intent of the legislation. It's a crime to harrass people face to face...I think it should be a crime to do it via the internet too! The internet has given many what they see as a free pass to make people's lives hell. Maybe this'll clip their horns a bit.

"Whoever...utilizes any device or software that can be used to originate telecommunications or other types of communications that are transmitted, in whole or in part, by the Internet... without disclosing his identity and with intent to annoy, abuse, threaten, or harass any person...who receives the communications...shall be fined under title 18 or imprisoned not more than two years, or both."

tybee204 said:

Oh, please.....I don't want to be arrested! If I promise to be good, will you ignore it this time? sarcastic.

Maybe we should all scour the internet for the things that have annoyed us, and then start demanding justice. Get them overwhelmed, right off the bat. :laugh:

LOL this is such a dumba$$ law to sign in. How could this ever be enforced? This Law annoys me!!! Who do I complain to aboiut being annoyed?

Harrassment should be a crime but how do you define annoy?

tybee204 said:
Harrassment should be a crime but how do you define annoy?

Better start cleaning up the political forum, I am sure that someone has posted something that will annoy some polititian somewhere! :laugh:

This is part of the cyber stalking laws. And it is designed to cut down on the massive amounts of libel (as opposed to news) that can be found on blogs and usenet postings.

tybee204 said:
LOL this is such a dumba$$ law to sign in. How could this ever be enforced? This Law annoys me!!! Who do I complain to aboiut being annoyed?

It annoys me when someone uses $ in place of the letter S. Is Tybee your real name?

I'm annoyed by all the junk emails I get...."Meet flexible ladies in your home town!" - what for? Are they gonna wash my ceilings?

Well, if they ever pass a law against annoying someone in real life, then the IrishMister is GONNA GET ARRESTED!!!

OHHHH CRAPPPP!! I AM GOING DOWN!! I annoy at least 30 people a day here. It's official I am going to be a felon. For the record my real name is Crash my last name is 676. I was born in Bulls**T law, Tx, USA. My SS# is 555-55-5555. Come and get me. (Please be gentle with the cuffs I bruise easy officers):liar:

I just got back from purchasing my disguse...incognito ..here I come! LOL

Linda7NJ said:
I just got back from purchasing my disguse...incognito ..here I come! LOL
Okay, ya'll are really annoying me now! Lol first name Baker last name Prune:D

Maybe we should start sending in all of our spam. Certainly qualifies as annoying. :D

mysteriew said:
Better start cleaning up the political forum, I am sure that someone has posted something that will annoy some polititian somewhere! :laugh:
Cleaning up the political forum will annoy me! :mad:

Hahahaha!! So when does this law go into effect? Do we have until then to annoy and harrass people? Anything that was ''annoying'' before the law goes into effect is null and void right? Ok ...I have to get busy now! Ciao

mysteriew said:
Oh, please.....I don't want to be arrested! If I promise to be good, will you ignore it this time? sarcastic.

Maybe we should all scour the internet for the things that have annoyed us, and then start demanding justice. Get them overwhelmed, right off the bat. :laugh:

You guys, the law reads it's against the law to INTEND to annoy someone. You'd have to prove intent.

We can all rest easy. ;D

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back