IL - Kenneka Jenkins, 19, found dead in hotel freezer, Rosemont, 10 Sept 2017 #1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dénouement

Reaction score
2400617_630x354.jpg

ROSEMONT, Ill. (WLS) -- A Chicago woman who was reported missing to police was discovered inside a freezer at the Crowne Plaza Hotel in Rosemont Sunday., Rosemont police said.

The sister of 19-year-old Kenneka Jenkins told police that Jenkins was seen leaving her Chicago home at 11:30 p.m. Friday for a party at the Crowne Plaza Hotel at 54440 North River Road in Rosemont. The sister said that she had received a text message from Jenkins at about 1:30 a.m. Saturday.

Witnesses told police Jenkins was seen at a party on the ninth floor of the hotel Friday night and into the early morning on Saturday. Jenkins was reported missing at 1:16 p.m. Saturday.

After being contacted by Rosemont police, the staff of the Crowne Plaza searched the hotel and Jenkins was discovered inside a freezer early Sunday morning. Police said her body was beyond resuscitation and was pronounced dead at the scene.

http://abc7chicago.com/chicago-woman-found-dead-in-freezer-of-rosemont-hotel/2400501/

Ok this article says she was last seen leaving her house 11:30 p.m. Friday night this article the sister says she received a text message at 1:30am Saturday. An article says her friends got in touch with her mother after 4am on Saturday. Kenneka was reported missing 1:16 p.m. Saturday and was found 12:48 a.m. Sunday

[Modnote: Snipped because this information is not available at the MSM link and social media comments are off-limits.]

AR-170919944.jpg&updated=201709101705&MaxW=800&maxH=800&noborder

Witnesses reported seeing Jenkins at a party on the ninth floor of the hotel Friday night and into the early morning on Saturday, police said. But at about 4:30 a.m., Jenkins' friends couldn't find her and called her family.

Jenkins' name was entered into a missing person's database at 1:16 p.m. Saturday, police said.

Rosemont police contacted the Crowne Plaza about the missing woman, and hotel employees began a search.

Jenkins' body was discovered inside a walk-in freezer at 12:24 a.m. Sunday. She was pronounced dead at the scene.

Rosemont police said they are investigating Jenkins' death.
http://www.dailyherald.com/news/20170910/missing-womans-body-found-in-rosemont-hotel-freezer

Omg someone just posted about this on fb. If u go to her "best friend's" page you will see a lot of comments about what happened.

Martin said the family members stayed at the hotel until after 1 a.m. Sunday, when police informed them they had discovered Jenkins' body in the walk-in freezer.

It was not clear who located Jenkins' body, but Mack said the hotel was doing some construction in the area where she was found. Martin said she was told the freezer Jenkins was in was turned on and cold but was not being used to store food.

"I just happen to know there's work being done on some new facilities over there, so there is some construction activity where a new restaurant is being built, and (she was found) in that vicinity," Mack said. "This is not an area where anyone would typically be who was a guest in the hotel."

It is not clear whether the construction area was blocked off in any way.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...found-dead-rosemont-hotel-20170910-story.html

Dénouement;13619544 said:
Martin said the family members stayed at the hotel until after 1 a.m. Sunday, when police informed them they had discovered Jenkins' body in the walk-in freezer.

It was not clear who located Jenkins' body, but Mack said the hotel was doing some construction in the area where she was found. Martin said she was told the freezer Jenkins was in was turned on and cold but was not being used to store food.

"I just happen to know there's work being done on some new facilities over there, so there is some construction activity where a new restaurant is being built, and (she was found) in that vicinity," Mack said. "This is not an area where anyone would typically be who was a guest in the hotel."

It is not clear whether the construction area was blocked off in any way.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...found-dead-rosemont-hotel-20170910-story.html

From your link:

Jenkins' mother, Tereasa Martin, said police told her Jenkins apparently let herself into the freezer while inebriated and died inside. An autopsy was performed Sunday but it wasn't immediately clear whether foul play was suspected, according to Becky Schlikerman, spokeswoman for the medical examiner's office.

So they think it may have been accidental, but looks like they want to make sure there was no foul play. It's possible someone could have followed her from the party and took advantage of her. That would likely show up in the autopsy, though.

Her friends had her phone, she must have left it behind. Perhaps she went to look for a restroom and got lost in her inebriated state. Wonder how high her BAC was? Kids really need to have some adults around when they're having a party with underage drinking. How was a 19 yo able to be served alcohol?

Poor girl. Condolences to her family.

ETA: There are some videos on YouTube. Not sure if authentic.

Yes, after reading the comments there and the video/comments on YouTube, it looks like something terrible may have happened to this young woman at the "party" in the hotel. I hope LE is reviewing these videos and questioning the "friends"at the "party". :moo:

Makes you reluctant to stay in a hotel ever again. :notgood:

Makes me upset that rooms are being booked for such "parties". Where does the responsibility of the hotel begin and end? If the attendees are over 18 I suppose there's nothing a parent can do to prevent their child from attending.

Makes me upset that rooms are being booked for such "parties". Where does the responsibility of the hotel begin and end? If the attendees are over 18 I suppose there's nothing a parent can do to prevent their child from attending.

Yeah, I originally thought this was a regular party where someone booked a conference/banquet room downstairs. But it appears to be just someone renting a room in the hotel, then holding a "party" in the room. It's probably hard for the hotel to screen these things, to know if that's going to be the plan for whomever rents the room. Young age and where the person lives (nearby) would be a pretty good indicator. Then again, this area is adjacent to O'Hare Airport, so they probably see a lot of things.

If kids renting the room are of legal age, there's not much the hotel can do, unless they spot something suspicious and call the cops. The hotel should have had security to prevent the possibility of security cameras being disabled, etc. IANAL, but they may face some liability for at least not listening to the mom and finding the victim sooner.

ETA: All that said, this incident could have happened just as easily at someone's home or apartment with the same result. We know from following cases here at WS it sadly happens all the time. Having it happen at a hotel doesn't put the hotel at fault.

How horrible. The SM chatter is disturbing.

Very. I feel terrible for her mom and sister. Not only have they lost their daughter/sister, but the (possible) details are all over SM for them to see, and when you consider the video, to hear. Around 3:00 in the video is haunting to me--a stranger--I cannot imagine listening to that and having my daughter being the one on the other end. However, SM might be what gets some of the 'bad guys' in this case convinced (I do not believe she wandered into that freezer by accident and died for multiple reasons). Criminals sure are dumb sometimes. And if no foul play was happening during the video, why was the girls lip quivering in the beginning like she was crying? That may also explain why she was wearing the back to the future glasses (to hide that she had been crying?).
Sad situation all around

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mods can delete if not allowed; I think this is an ok fb course as it was referenced a lot in the Semaj case, also in Chicago.
Anita Padilla Fox 32 Chicago Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/AnitaPadillaFox32Chicago/videos/1180657175411007/
First part of the video Anita is taking about hurricane Irma, but about 8 minutes in starts to discuss Kenneka. At one point in the video she does show parts of the fb live video everyone has been discussing that was taken at the hotel that night. I like Anita & the way she covered the semaj case, so hoping for the same with this one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is soooo sad, my God! I have always warned my kids that there is a big difference in "friends" than "frenemies"...

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member