AZ AZ - Donna Jokumsen, 22, Chandler, 5 July 1987 *Arrest*

Gardener1850

Timeline Guru (Still Remembering Cupcake)
Reaction score
[h=1]Arrest Made In 1987 Chandler Missing Mom Case[/h]
girl.png

In July of 1987, 22-year-old Donna Mae Jokumsen was living in Chandler with her 23-year-old husband Kevin and their two young children. On July 3rd of that year, Donna Mae telephoned her father in Washington State and told him she was returning home to Washington with her children. But after nearly a week, Donna Mae never arrived at her parent’s residence. Donna Mae’s mother contacted the Chandler Police Department on July 11th, 1987 to report her missing. When officers arrived at the Jokumsen residence, they found Kevin and both children, but Donna Mae was gone. She has not been heard from since.
Donna Mae was last seen on July 5th, 1987.

https://arizonadailyindependent.com/2017/09/14/arrest-made-in-1987-missing-person-case/

636409204072853249-Kevin-Dale-Jokumsen-53-.JPG

A man has been arrested on suspicion of killing his wife in Chandler in 1987, officials said.

Auburn, Washington, police arrested Kevin Dale Jokumsen, 53, on Aug. 31.
He is being held in a county jail in Washington awaiting extradition to Arizona, according to a press release sent out by the Chandler Police Department on Wednesday.

He faces a charge of second-degree murder, officials said.
Jokumsen's wife, Donna Mae Jokumsen, 22, was last seen on July 5, 1987.
Her body has not been found, officials said.
http://www.azcentral.com/story/news...30-years-ago-while-living-chandler/663923001/

I wonder what happened to the two little boys. Maybe, since he moved back to Washington, her parents were part of their lives. I hope so. Does anybody know?

It has been reported Jokumsen is homeless and had built a lengthy criminal history. Jokumsen was arrested for being a fugitive from justice and was first taken to the SCORE jail in Des Moines before being transferred to the King County jail.

http://www.courierherald.com/news/arizona-cold-case-centers-on-former-enumclaw-couple/

I hope and pray those two little boys were able to grow up in a stable home...perhaps with her parents. This is really bothering me. Does anybody know what happened to them?

I did find this...It was 6 years after Donna went missing...I do hope his mother provided a good home for the boys. So sad that they grew up without their mother...

After failing a lie detector test about his wife's disappearance, Kevin Jokumsen eventually returned to Enumclaw, where he still lives with his mother and two sons.
"I see the boys once a year, and they think their mother just ran away," Douglas said.

"We don't tell them anything else, but some day, I hope they learn the real truth."
Copyright 1993, 1999 The Arizona Daily Star

Donna Mae Jokumsen was 22 in July 1987, when she called her father in Washington state to ask if she and her two sons could seek refuge at his home. She was tired of the violent fights with her husband, she told him.

He said yes. But she never drove to Washington from Chandler, where she had moved months earlier.

Her family didn't hear from her again, so a little more than a week after she called her father, they reported her as missing to police on July 11, 1987.

Family and police presume she has been dead all this time. But her body never has been found.
They believe Kevin Jokumsen, her husband, killed her.
Jokumsen, now 54, denies it. He told police his wife abandoned him and their children to start a new life.
If the case goes to trial, it would be the oldest murder case without a body presented to a jury in Arizona, based on data compiled by Tad DiBiase, a former federal prosecutor, who tracks similar cases.

Since that July 1987 phone call, Chandler detectives have continued their search for clues leading to Jokumsen.

A 200-page report released by Chandler police in November includes statements from friends and family, tips received by the department and newspaper clippings.
It paints a picture of a young couple who had physically fought since their high-school years — a couple who, by all accounts, should not have stayed together.
Kevin and Donna met while in high school in Enumclaw, Washington, southeast of Seattle.

Even then, friends and family tried to break up the couple.

Kevin's older sister later told police that Donna being with her brother was like "gas on a fire." Fights between the two would sometimes escalate into physical violence, she told investigators. She recalled her horror as the two came to blows during a softball game.

His mother and Donna's sisters and parents all told police stories of abuse involving the two. Details, predictably, varied from family member to family member.
In a July 2016 interview with police, Donna's younger sister Deborah Howard said she was 13 when she witnessed violence between the couple. She was supposed to go to a concert with Donna and get the tickets from Kevin, the report said.

The couple was not together at the time. Kevin's mother told police the argument started because Kevin said he was taking another girl to the concert, but she didn't remember other details.

Howard said she didn’t catch the start of the argument, either, but she saw Kevin punch or slap her sister. And as Donna tried to flee, Howard said he grabbed Donna and clamped her into a chokehold. Her sister suffered a black eye, Howard recalled in the report.

Donna changed the details of what happened to downplay the incident when answering police questions, her sister told investigators.
In another early episode of violence, accounts differ over an incident involving a firearm thrown in a ditch. Kevin told police Donna threw his rifle in the ditch and he made her retrieve it. His mother, according to a police report, backed that version.
But Donna's mother, Mary Jane Leitzen, told police Kevin attempted to drown Donna in the ditch after her daughter told Kevin she was pregnant.
Much more at link: https://www.azcentral.com/story/new...umsen-murder-husband-kevin-charged/889142001/

My grandfather was married to Kevin's mother, a second marriage for both. Having spoken to someone that was at the latest court proceedings, it is likely that Donna was killed by someone else. There were witnesses that testified that were not interviewed during the original case, that made it highly likely another person killed Donna. Unfortunately that person is dead.
I'm writing this years later because it's odd, having hade a vague awareness of Kevin growing up, as his mother used to babysit me and his sons, but having just a couple of hazy memories of him coming over to the grandparents house. I originally joined Websleuths because I wanted to see if something was posted about Donna. When I saw it, I was tempted to comment, but didn't feel comfortable. Now, I wanted to put out there what I knew if anyone wants to know.
Kevin's mother raised the boys for a good portion of their lives. Both boys are doing well. One worked for my mother for a number of years. They are both good people.
I do hope she is found one day, she and her family deserve it.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bosie
Back