Laura Babcock: Dellen Millard & Mark Smich charged w/ Murder in the First Degree #3

Status
Not open for further replies.

bessie

Verified Insider
Reaction score
Toronto Police Service
News Release

Missing Woman Laura Babcock, 23
Broadcast time: 13:06 Monday, July 16, 2012
22 Division 416−808−2200

The Toronto Police Service is requesting the public’s assistance locating a missing woman.
Laura Babcock, 23, was last seen on Tuesday, June 26, 2012, at 9 p.m., in the Queen Street
West/Roncesvalles Avenue area.
She is described as white, 5'10", 150 lbs., with a thin build. She has brown eyes and long brown hair dyed blonde.
Police are concerned for her safety. Anyone with information is asked to contact police at 416−808−2200, Crime Stoppers
anonymously at 416−222−TIPS (8477), online at www.222tips.com, text TOR and your message to CRIMES (274637), or Leave A Tip on Facebook.
Constable Wendy Drummond, Corporate Communications, for Detective Steve Woodhouse, 22 Division

Updated 10 April, 2014

Bosma murder suspect charged with killing missing woman, father
Sandie Benitah, CP24.com
Published Thursday, April 10, 2014 2:11PM EDT
Last Updated Thursday, April 10, 2014 6:12PM EDT

A suspect accused of kidnapping and killing an Ancaster family man now also stands accused of killing his own father and his ex-girlfriend.

Dellen Millard, 28, who is in jail awaiting trial for the murder of Tim Bosma, was charged Wednesday with the first-degree murder of his father Wayne Millard and his former companion Laura Babcock, the Ontario Provincial Police has confirmed.

Read more: http://www.cp24.com/news/bosma-murd...-missing-woman-father-1.1770155#ixzz2ygS2Hm1L
Clairmont: Police believe body of accused Bosma killer's girlfriend was incinerated
Hamilton Spectator -- By Susan Clairmont

Homicide detectives believe Dellen Millard bought a gun illegally and used it to murder his father. And that he also murdered Laura Babcock and incinerated her body — just as he allegedly did with Tim Bosma.
http://www.ourwindsor.ca/news-story/4460278-clairmont-police-believe-babcock-s-body-was-incinerated/

Thread #1

Thread #2

Please continue here for Laura. A separate thread will be created for the trial on or about 12 Oct. 2017.

Thank you

Wow, thanks for the update. That sucks that Adam Carter won't be attending :(
And I didn't realize that MH had moved to the G&M, wow, good for her! (I think???)
What about Christie Blatchford?

The post generally had Adrian Humphries writing, with a few articles by Ann Brocklehurst, so I am not sure about Blatchford there.

Another one for the list Sam Pazzano @SamPazzano Toronto Sun courts reporter

Just going back to:

Alyshah Hasham‏ @alysanmati
Crown says they have more than 30 terabytes of disclosure in this case.

...meaning the LB case.

I figured that the amount of disclosure was pretty large and indicated that they had video...was wondering, what's 30Tb in hours of video so did a quick google...

In 30Tb you can store about

30,000 hrs standard definition video (1,250 days)
24,000 hrs iphone video (1,000 days)
12,480 90-minute Netflix shows
7,500-15,000 hrs HD video
3,750-7,500 2-hour HD movies
3,000 hrs 4K video (125 days)

There are a ton of variables depending on the quality of video you are shooting and your system's configuration but the short answer is that would be a LOT of video any way you slice it.

So what the heck, do they have a few years of security cam footage or some high quality rap videos/home movies they are submitting or what exactly is all of this data that they have?

30Tb struck me as a massive quantity; now it seems ginormous.

I think Laura was involved in online work i.e. sex cam stuff. Maybe that factors in somehow. What about surveillance cameras from the hangar and environs? The incinerator and its purchase is going to factor in big time in this case.

Just going back to:

Alyshah Hasham‏ @alysanmati
Crown says they have more than 30 terabytes of disclosure in this case.

...meaning the LB case.

I figured that the amount of disclosure was pretty large and indicated that they had video...was wondering, what's 30Tb in hours of video so did a quick google...

In 30Tb you can store about

30,000 hrs standard definition video (1,250 days)
24,000 hrs iphone video (1,000 days)
12,480 90-minute Netflix shows
7,500-15,000 hrs HD video
3,750-7,500 2-hour HD movies
3,000 hrs 4K video (125 days)

There are a ton of variables depending on the quality of video you are shooting and your system's configuration but the short answer is that would be a LOT of video any way you slice it.

So what the heck, do they have a few years of security cam footage or some high quality rap videos/home movies they are submitting or what exactly is all of this data that they have?

30Tb struck me as a massive quantity; now it seems ginormous.

Was there anyone else that reported same? Is it possible it could be an error?

Was there anyone else that reported same? Is it possible it could be an error?

Hasham was the only one reporting that day. I don't think it's a mistake: there are cases e.g. where someone was arrested for child *advertiser censored* and they had a 30 Tb collection. Maybe DM and MS had a lot of assorted videos of their hijinks on their phones. They did back their phones up after all. MS made that horror/rap flick; maybe there's more of the same. As Matou mentioned, surveillance video and possible *advertiser censored*. Business records, documents and email could also add a bit.

The amazing thing is that someone on the police/prosecution side has to sit down and watch all that, and even with a team it would take...months? years? ...to go through it all, watching and documenting it. I think police must have found some good stuff on DM and MS as remember, there was a direct indictment in the LB case.

Hasham was the only one reporting that day. I don't think it's a mistake: there are cases e.g. where someone was arrested for child *advertiser censored* and they had a 30 Tb collection. Maybe DM and MS had a lot of assorted videos of their hijinks on their phones. They did back their phones up after all. MS made that horror/rap flick; maybe there's more of the same. As Matou mentioned, surveillance video and possible *advertiser censored*. Business records, documents and email could also add a bit.

The amazing thing is that someone on the police/prosecution side has to sit down and watch all that, and even with a team it would take...months? years? ...to go through it all, watching and documenting it. I think police must have found some good stuff on DM and MS as remember, there was a direct indictment in the LB case.

I still can't see it being that large (30TB). Would the witness evidence to be presented at court be considered part of the disclosure, say after being also made into powerpoint presentations to include video? Or would only the raw evidence be considered 'disclosure', while the rest would be considered professional opinion??

Also, this trial is expected to be much shorter than the TB trial.. and there was sooo much data evidence in that trial.. are we sure that the 30TB wasn't referring to the TB trial at the time? If it had been a typo, and she had meant 3TB, would that be considered large in itself? Or for sure do you think it was 30TB?

I think that the direct indictment isn't necessarily always related to the amount of evidence, but also considers other things, such as how it would interact with other trials still to come, perhaps evidence that an accused may not wish to become public prior to trial, or etc? I have to admit I was shocked at the opening day of TB's trial when I discovered how much evidence they had, and hopefully will be just as shocked in this case.

I've been told "jury picking will get underway in Toronto on October 12 for the Laura Babcock murder trial, which means the actual trial itself should start before the end of the month. It's scheduled to last three or four months with a break over Christmas. A lot of pre-trial motions work will be done over the next few weeks. Basically, this is the time when defence lawyers try to get certain evidence excluded and the Crown tries to get it included. While the pre-trial activity is covered by a temporary publication ban, the public is free to attend court."

Well here's a few to watch anyway

Lisa Hepfner‏ @HefCHCHNews
In #TO for Dellen #Millard pretrial matter. Jury selection for Babcock murder starts Oct 12. Wayne Millard murder trial March 20. @CHCHNews

Alex Pierson‏ @AlexpiersonAMP
Not those trials.
[MWJ/MW] But likely Babcock and Wayne Millard. But yes - independent funding for media is something u will see more of.

Alyshah Hasham @alysanmati is the court reporter for the Toronto Star and she has written and tweeted a bit on the case.

Ann Brocklehurst‏ @AnnB03 tweets updates regularly and updates on DM/MS's associates too.

Nos and not sures:

Adam Carter won't be covering the trial :(

Adam Carter @AdamCarterCBC
No, the CBC has decided it won't be sending me.

Liam Casey @liamdevlincasey
wrote a few articles on DM up to the end of 2016. He could be on the Babcock story maybe?

Susan Clairmont @susanclairmont is providing general updates but I don't believe she will cover the trial as it is in Toronto and she is based out of Hamilton. Adrian Humphreys @AD_Humphreys and Colin Butler @ColinButlerCBC haven't tweeted about DM since the verdict. molly hayes @mollyhayes is now at the Globe and Mail now.
Wow, thanks for the update. That sucks that Adam Carter won't be attending :(
And I didn't realize that MH had moved to the G&M, wow, good for her! (I think???)
What about Christie Blatchford?
Considering CBC won an award for Adam Carter's coverage of the TB trial, you would think they'd want to send him. I'm not on twitter but tempted to email him to ask his he is interested in covering it. I know he is local to Hamilton. I'd be willing to write a letter to his editor, or whoever, to request his coverage.

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

Considering CBC won an award for Adam Carter's coverage of the TB trial, you would think they'd want to send him. I'm not on twitter but tempted to email him to ask his he is interested in covering it. I know he is local to Hamilton. I'd be willing to write a letter to his editor, or whoever, to request his coverage.

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

I'd support you in that letter if you decide to go ahead.

I still can't see it being that large (30TB). Would the witness evidence to be presented at court be considered part of the disclosure, say after being also made into powerpoint presentations to include video? Or would only the raw evidence be considered 'disclosure', while the rest would be considered professional opinion??

Also, this trial is expected to be much shorter than the TB trial.. and there was sooo much data evidence in that trial.. are we sure that the 30TB wasn't referring to the TB trial at the time? If it had been a typo, and she had meant 3TB, would that be considered large in itself? Or for sure do you think it was 30TB?

I think that the direct indictment isn't necessarily always related to the amount of evidence, but also considers other things, such as how it would interact with other trials still to come, perhaps evidence that an accused may not wish to become public prior to trial, or etc? I have to admit I was shocked at the opening day of TB's trial when I discovered how much evidence they had, and hopefully will be just as shocked in this case.

I think the defence is only entitled to the raw video without any interpretation.

The TB trial had 10,000 video clips http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamilton/news/why-is-security-camera-video-still-so-terrible-1.2542359 and that's all we know, so there is no way to turn that into hours or terabytes and compare.

Remember what the AG said way back when re: the TB trial:

The ministry’s decision to approve the direct indictment, a first since she became attorney general earlier this year, is a sign of a solid case gathered by prosecutors, Madeleine Meilleur told reporters after question period Wednesday.

“I’m not going to speak about the case, but when this procedure is supported, it’s because there is good evidence that the person being accused will become convicted,” she said.

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/20...arantee_verdict_in_tim_bosma_murder_case.html

Just wondering what years worth of text messaging and data from phones might amount to in TB's? There must be a number of phones involved here and at least one Ipad. Wouldn't all prosecution and defense attorneys in all three cases (four if we're including MWJ) be given the entire file? I also question the number 30 however.

MOO

BTW, just to add to this, with DM as his own lawyer it has been DM viewing the disclosure

Dellen Millard turns jailhouse lawyer

http://www.annrbrocklehurst.com/2015/12/dellen-millard-turns-jailhouse-lawyer.html
“I have an issue at the Hamilton jail with getting access to the disclosure on Laura Babcock material,” Millard said, adding that he is unable to view the CDs and DVDs provided by the prosecution.

Just wondering what years worth of text messaging and data from phones might amount to in TB's? There must be a number of phones involved here and at least one Ipad. Wouldn't all prosecution and defense attorneys in all three cases (four if we're including MWJ) be given the entire file? I also question the number 30 however.

MOO

Texts, aw, they are nothing; as are most documents of marked up text. It's video that really adds up, video of any kind, off a phone or security cam or whatever.

I'm not talking about myself and my own feelings and/or beliefs.. I'm surprised that someone of the AG's stature would get away with saying, out loud, in public, in front of the legal community, and the press, “there is good evidence that the person being accused will become convicted There are different and assorted valid reasons for going straight to trial, probably any of which were valid in that case. The burden of proof is at a much lower standard in a preliminary hearing than it is in a trial. It kind of goes without saying that there was enough evidence to go to trial, without going to the time and expense of holding a prelim in this case... but then that is true in probably most criminal cases. It just surprises me that no reprisals ever came from her saying that, having come from that particular person's lips - if those words had come from a lawyer who was completely uninvolved in the case, and/or exempt from any decisions to be made in the case, I would have thought little of it. To me, she has publicly made a judgement call on their guilt, as opposed to whether there was enough evidence to go to trial.. and isn't deciding guilt the mandate of the jury at trial in our province? I'm not arguing with anything other than that she apparently said that out loud in public. With those words, could she not have been said to have tainted the future prospective jury pool's impression on their guilt ahead of time? In our country we are supposed to be innocent until proven guilty. As far as I understand it, her mandate was merely to decide whether there was enough evidence to skip the prelim. Just my thoughts on that, of course.

It does seem prejudicial, and the wording leaves something to be desired; the evidence must provide reasonable likelihood of conviction. Her statement sounds absolute.

In any case, her statement is consistent with the premise of the DI, w.r.t. procedures required: "...a legal memorandum containing a concise description and analysis of the available evidence, demonstrating how that evidence results in a reasonable prospect of conviction with respect to each accused on each count, and addressing why the public interest requires a prosecution." Source: http://www.ppsc-sppc.gc.ca/eng/pub/fpsd-sfpg/fps-sfp/tpd/p3/ch06.html

Arguably, any criminal case going to trial is evaluated for reasonable likelihood of conviction.

I was impressed by the amount of evidence the two sides argued over during the pre-trial motions I attended. Normal, law abiding citizens, who have faith in our justice system, don't give thought to the amount of evidence that never makes it to the trial- for me, it was an eye opener.

Agreed. I was quite surprised by the nature, scope and quantity of what is deemed inadmissable.

Please continue here for Laura. A separate thread will be created for the trial on or about 12 Oct. 2017.

Thank you

Well...this has certainly been a long time coming. May there be justice for LB and closure for her friends and family. Back in DM's alternate universe, there's still millions to keep hidden. There's a certain pleasure knowing he probably occupies his days desperately trying to reconnect with his money; fantasizing about the day his pro-manipulation skills and innate legal talents will pay off and he'll be able to resume his life of wealth and privilege. IMHO, the LB trial may not get the same coverage as the TB trial unless the Toronto media decides to shine a light on the fact that she was a loving daughter, a good friend- and that a raging psychopath team murdered her and ALMOST got a way with it. IMO, there was nothing TPS could have done to save LB- but their lack of action investigating her disappearance certainly paved the way for DM & MS's future murders.

"Police allege Babcock was killed on or around July 3 or 4, 2012 and had been romantically linked to Millard."
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toron...-to-trial-in-death-of-laura-babcock-1.3225820

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redeworker