lili Boys
A90132 or 35

I wanted to bring this forward.
Could this be what it is saying:

Louis Sodder
I Love (his) brother Frankie
(He has) lili (little) boys
A90132 (partial SSN or a visa number?)
This could be someone who knows English only as a second language, and doesn't know it well. What seems to be a cryptic message, could actually be someone with a language barrier.

Shadow205 said:
That is certainly possible Mysteriew. If so then who is "Brother Frankie"?

Possibly someone from the family that they were living with? If they were placed with a family, then the other children in the household, would be referreed to as their "brother".

I wonder if it could be a reference to a Brother Frankie, maybe if he stayed in some type of boys home or something? Just something that popped into my brain.

mysteriew said:

Louis Sodder
This could be someone who knows English only as a second language, and doesn't know it well. What seems to be a cryptic message, could actually be someone with a language barrier.
There is a school in Washington, DC called National Cathedral School . It's number is 090135. Secondary/High Schools -- District of Columbia I think someone from Kentucky sent the picture but I wonder if it was sent to them from somewhere else.

Looked again-this is an all girls school

John's middle initial was "F" as I recall, but I don't remember reading what it stood for.

There are many Frank Cipriani's listed on Ancestry.com, some of an age close to the childrens'...

Just some things I found with I googled 90135-Italy. Probably Nothing

MassTimes

Assumption B. M. V. 0916760859 Map Updated: 11/23/2003
Address: Via Perpignano, 183 Palermo PA 90135 Italy
Jesus Christ 091221146 Map Updated: 11/22/2003 Address: Via Castellana, 110 Palermo PA 90135 Italy
Sacred Heart of Jesus 0916823898 Map Updated: 11/25/2003
Address: Via Noce, 126 Palermo PA 90135 Italy

Does PA90135 mean Providence Area? Any one know? Could this go with the code on the back-A090135 or A90135

fox1950 said:
Just some things I found with I googled 90135-Italy. Probably Nothing

MassTimes

Assumption B. M. V. 0916760859 Map Updated: 11/23/2003
Address: Via Perpignano, 183 Palermo PA 90135 Italy
Jesus Christ 091221146 Map Updated: 11/22/2003 Address: Via Castellana, 110 Palermo PA 90135 Italy
Sacred Heart of Jesus 0916823898 Map Updated: 11/25/2003
Address: Via Noce, 126 Palermo PA 90135 Italy

Does PA90135 mean Providence Area? Any one know? Could this go with the code on the back-A090135 or A90135

There appears to be a zip code for not only Palermo, but also for Big City Cal.

Also check this out:Untitled Document

Lombardia, 46040, Guidizzolo, MN, Saiore 116, Islamic Moviment of Italy ... Sicilia, 90135, Palermo, PA, via GE Di Blasi, 10, Associazione Culturale ...

http://www.carta.org/agenzia/testimoniGenova/diritti_migranti/tabella.htm

Palermo hotels and accommodation, hotel reservations in Sicily, by ...
Palermo hotels, hotel reservations in Palermo, Sicily, Italy by all-hotels(tm) - travel and lodgings ... Via Ottavio D'aragona 25, Palermo, Italy, 90135

Palermo, Lingerie & Hosiery: Lingerie & Hosiery in Palermo,...
The fabrics are said to be as smooth as a caress, or, carezze. Address: Corso Calatafimi, 103h Palermo PA Italy 90132 ...

If you search 90135 Italy you find several web sites for Palermo, Italy. ...

Could A90132 or 35 stand for PA90132 or PA90135 standing for Palermo, Italy?

Hi All. I'm a new member and just signed up on Websleuths. I've been following this thread since I first read the Sodder story transcript on the NPR website in late December. I did a lot of research online when I was in college. So, I discovered ways to look up "hard to find" information online. I just wanted to share this. This is in regards to JBandy post "Italy Family", where he received a mystery post on Ancestry.com.

I went to Yahoo International websites, Italy (http://it.yahoo.com/). I am fluent in Spanish, and can sort of follow along the lines if reading something in Italian (as both languages are latin based). At any rate, I decided to do a search in the White Pages (Pagine Bianche) to look for the names mentioned in this "mystery post" in Ancestry.com.

Re: Family History
Author: adelaide Date: 23 Aug 2003 12:45 PM GMT
Surnames: Dessena Adelaide Ignazia Lalla
Classification: Query

Our grand father Salvatore Soddu had a brother, is name was Giorgio, he goes in USA west virginia in beginning 1900, he was 16 years old.He changed his surname in Sodder, we have a photo of George family (1960),he had five soons,and his wife's name was Maria Cipriani. We live in Italy, Sardegna in a little village Tula in Sassari's provincia. We are Ignazia,Adelaide e Lalla Dessena our mother is Anna Maria Soddu.Sorry for our english. Is the person that you are looking for? bye bye
I searched a combination of names for "Dessena Adelaide Ignazia Lalla", and no hits. Then, I searched for Anna Maria Soddu in Tula. This is where I got a hit http://it.paginebianche.yahoo.net/execute.cgi?btt=1&tl=2&tr=101&tc=&be=&cb=10&tq=2&qs=Soddu&qsn=Anna+Maria&dv=Tula&ind=&nc=&x=0&y=0.

Now, it may not seem like a lot, but if the family would like to attempt to call this listing to see if Adelaide can be contacted, I'm thinking this is a good lead to finding the family connection in Italy. JBandy, I hope this is of some help. Perhaps someone in your family speaks Italian and can try this number.

I look forward to reading more excellent ideas in trying to help the Sodder family find some answers to this painfully long mystery.

I had done a search on the numbers as possibly postal zip codes, but couldn't get a hit (I tried various combinations).

Is it possible that some codes were discontinued down through the years? What happens if a post office closes, either due to lack of residents or a merger with another post office? Would these codes probably somewhere on the west coast if they were zip codes?
By the way, welcome InquisitiveT, we welcome any help we can get!!

Inquisitive T, thanks so much for the info. And welcome to WS!

Shadowangel, when I did a regular google of zip code+ 90135, I also came up with hits in Palermo and also one in Big City, Calif. ( http://www.courtinfo.ca.gov/forms/documents/th200.pdf address is on pg. 5 of the pdf) Whoops, scratch that, it is a sample form, and probably a bogus address.
Interestingly enough 90132 also shows up as a zip code in Palermo. I didn't find anything for 90132 in the US.
Here is the link to research Italian zip codes
http://sicilia.indettaglio.it/eng/cap/palermo/motore/motore.html

I also did a check on both numbers at the USPS and no hits on either number. I only saw that in the Google search.

Can anyone find when zip codes were first used in the United States. If my memory serves me correctly it was in the 1960's. Remember everyone complaining about having to (now) put a zip code after the address. This was started to make it easier on the postal service to sort and forward the mail.

mysteriew said:

Louis Sodder
Maybe it is Lily's Boys or Lili's Boys.

Was the A90132 handwritten? Or stamped on the photo?

Marie said:
Maybe it is Lily's Boys or Lili's Boys.

Was the A90132 handwritten? Or stamped on the photo?
Never realized it but this is a last name Lili and Lily. Both are first names, too. Frankie Lane had a song Hi-Lili, Hi-Lo.

Just tossing some more out -

I love brother Frankie and Lili's boys. I love Frank Lili's boys.

And is it sure that the "A" is an A? Otherwise it could be a date.

Or "A" is for About - About September 1st 1932. About 9th of January 1932. Etc.

(1) Mom doesn't have the original photo. She only has a copy, so the quality is not terrific. The original was much clearer. She recalls seeing casement windows in the background of the photo.

(2) She recalls the handwriting on the back of the photo differently than what was in the Bragg book. Since she doesn't have the original, she can't confirm this.) She recalls the first two lines the same as reported, but the last two as:

lilil boys (they always thought this was meant to be slang for "little boys")
Age 32 or 35
This quote by Grandaughter is from the other thread... just posting it here incase anyone overlooked it.

One thing that I have been puzzling over, is the type of photo. It is hard to tell from the copy on here. But does it appear to be a formal, posed photo or a portion of an informal snapshot?
If it was a formal photo, there may have been watermarks on the photo paper that might have held a clue as to where it came from.
During that time period, most of the informal snapshots I have seen would have the date of processing, printed along the edge.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni