PA PA - Philadelphia, Unksex&race 20-70, UP17000, in old property, 1955 ID, Aug'73

Romulus

Ivan
Reaction score
Website
meettomy.site
NamUs UP 17000

https://www.identifyus.org/en/cases/17000

Unidentified Body/Remains (Unknown Sex & Race)

Found August 13, 1973 in Philadelphia County, PA
Body Condition: Not recognizable - near complete or complete skeleton
Probable year of death: 1955 to 1970
Estimated postmortem interval: years

Vital Statistics
Estimated age: 20-70 (Adult - Pre 70)

Approximate Height: 70 estimate
Approximate Weight: 130 estimate
Hair Color: Unknown
Eye Color: Unknown
Scars and marks: nothing

Clothing & Accessories
Clothing:
Shirt, tie, brown trousers, leather belt, brown socks
Jewerly: nothing
Footwear: nothing
Accessories:
Reading glasses made by American Optical Co. ~45 years of age at initial report date. They have a slight plus Rx. Assumed to be used by an older person for reading per investigation findings. Full pack of Pall Mall cigarettes in shirt pocket. Illegible ID card from 1955 (sent to FBI for analysis in 1970s) 3C liberty stamp found in pocket and issued in 1954. Available for purchase until 1958 at any post office.
Identifiers
Fingerprints: Fingerprint information is not available
Dentals: Dental information / is available and entered later
DNA: Sample is not available

Case History
:
Found in abandoned property being demolished by wrecking crew. Location was reported as vacant since the mid-1950s.

Do they think he may have been a prior owner of this house? all bones and clothing including glasses plus cigarettes sounds to me that he just passed away from natural causes. He had a tie on. Older men (my father) always cleaned up before going out in public, sounds like this was a well kept man.

ok I came across this guy who went missing in 1957 he wore glasses and apparently said he was going to start a new life

JOHN DUNHAM MacEACHRON IMG_6881.jpg

White male, age 30, 6 feet, very thin build, sandy hair, blue eyes, medium complexion. Very large lined hands. Wears horn-rimmed glasses. Has worked as taxi driver, chauffeur, Boy Scout Counselor and in theatrical work. Has taught speech in public schools. Missing since January 8, 1957. May be using an alias, as he has stated he was going to try to start life over again some where else. Any knowledge concerning whereabouts of this missing person notify Police Dept. , Lake Worth, Pla., or Florida Sheriffs Bureau, Tallahassee, Florida.

https://www.flsheriffs.org/uploads/star/THE_SHERIFFS_STAR_VOL_1,_NO_6,_AUGUST_1957.pdf

this guy was a fugitive... and he wore glasses he was being looked for as of Sept 1958
https://www.flsheriffs.org/uploads/star/THE_SHERIFFS_STAR_VOL_2,_NO_7,_SEPTEMBER_1958.pdf

JACK H. SCHATZ
White male, age 30, 6 feet tall, weighs 155 pounds, medium build, brown hair, blue eyes, fair complexion. Possibly Jewish descent. Driving 1958 white Cadillac convertible, 1958 Fla. License 1E-1882. Uses Pennsylvania Driver's License No. 4123660 and All States Ins. card +84402937 as means of Identification. Claimed to be a Doctor but hands appeared to be those of mechanic or other type manual work. Passed checks drawn on Dauphin Deposit Trust Co., Harrisburg, Penn. , and has previous arrests that city. Warrant issued, charge Worthless Checks and Beating Board Bill. If located advise Police Dept. , Lakeland, Fla., or The Florida Sheriffs Bureau, Tallahassee, Florida.

IMG_6921.jpg

Do we know exactly where this property was located? If there were no neighbours close by it sounds as if it was rural or semi rural, or maybe in an area that people were moving out of and just abandoning other local properties.

Would there not have been local property tax records relating to the property and showing who was responsible for paying them? I realise that they may have been lost or destroyed in the decades since then.

Do we know exactly where this property was located? If there were no neighbours close by it sounds as if it was rural or semi rural, or maybe in an area that people were moving out of and just abandoning other local properties.

Would there not have been local property tax records relating to the property and showing who was responsible for paying them? I realise that they may have been lost or destroyed in the decades since then.

I had been thinking the same thing Melmoththe Lost. Someone had to have owned the house or there must of been a record at a post office of the address and if someone got mail there..I wish they posted address or location and even a photo of the ID.. maybe something could of been seen in the house.. also if it was a house in the middle of nowhere..was there a vehicle found.. or was there anything at all in the house whatsoever..its kind of frustrating...

According to NamUs the location was 300 Newmarket St. in Philadelphia. Searching that address on google maps came up nothing. It redirects to 300 Market st, which is in a downtown urban area. I was able to find a New Market st also located in a urban area. The only thing was the street addresses ranged only from 900-1000's, but there was a vacant lot in between the otherwise connected buildings/houses.

attachment.php

Philadelphia Inquirer - August 14, 1973

Attachments

• NamUs UP # 17000.JPG
    NamUs UP # 17000.JPG
    50.3 KB · Views: 103
Front and Vine. That's a little out of the way, near all the highways. I don't think I have been back that way at that intersection, but I am on Front Street every week, near one of America's oldest alleys. Lots of rebuilt and historic areas, and just hidden places back there. How can a guy die and stay there for so long? Who took over the property?

attachment.php

Philadelphia Inquirer - August 14, 1973

wow great find.. this is so weird though.. it does not seem like it was a little house in the middle of nowhere.. seems as though it was more residential or city.. there had to be some info as who owned the property and there must of been people near by.. this article mentions a Coat but does not mention any other clothing ID or items found with the guy.. You think article would mention more info

According to NamUs the location was 300 Newmarket St. in Philadelphia. Searching that address on google maps came up nothing. It redirects to 300 Market st, which is in a downtown urban area. I was able to find a New Market st also located in a urban area. The only thing was the street addresses ranged only from 900-1000's, but there was a vacant lot in between the otherwise connected buildings/houses.

great find.. wish there was more..this is just so strange

oh wow this guy you found Claireshere seems good.. he was from closer in the area.. maybe?

Pietro "Pete" Taormina
Missing since December 1, 1956 from Norristown, Montgomery County

Vital Statistics
Date of Birth: April 26, 1903
Age at Time of Disappearance: 53
Estimated Height: 5'3" to 5'6"
Estimated Weight: 140 lbs
Hair Color: Brown
Eye Color: Brown
AKA: Peter Taormina, Pete
Medical: had been diagnosed with diabetes
Known Clothing at Time of Disappearance: blue topcoat, maroon shirt, black shoes.

Case Details
Born in Sciacca, Sicily, Italy, Pete Taormina was 2 years old when he and his family emigrated to the United States on October 16, 1905, eventually settling into a home on Walnut Street in the Borough of Norristown, Montgomery County.

Little is known today about Pete today. *What we do know is based on memories and stories, passed down through the years. *His whereabouts after his disappearance are a family mystery that has never been solved.
Pete never married or had children. *He lived his entire life in Norristown. *It is unknown if he had a job or trade or if he served in the military. *It is also unknown if he had a drivers license but he had no car at the time of his disappearance

The one newspaper article about his disappearance stated that he had an injured leg that kept him from being able to walking very far. *Family information is that he had issues with a leg and was subsequently diagnosed with diabetes. *Pete feared that his leg might have to be amputated and the family felt that he was depressed and possibly suicidal because of this. *The news article also stated that he may have been heading to Florida but it is unknown what member of the family provided that information.

Norristown Police Department took the missing persons report. *Unfortunately, missing persons reports are destroyed after ten years so whatever additional information may have been documented has been lost forever.

140_Taormina,_Pete[1].jpg100_Taormina,_Pete_new_article[1].jpg

your right... here is the link https://www.redfin.com/PA/Philadelphia/300-Market-St-19106/home/67973731

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bosie
Back