MI - Rachel & Joshua Piland charged in death of newborn daughter, Lansing, 9 Feb 2017

LietKynes

Former Member
Reaction score
www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4930978/Jaundice-kills-baby-parents-refuse-treatment-her.html

A Lansing couple was charged with manslaughter this month after the death of their newborn daughter

The only mistake here is these incompetents deciding they were fit to become parents !!!

Seething with anger at these fools.
A baby cannot willfully choose to deny itself medical care. They murdered this baby through neglect, plain and simple.

If treated, she would have more than likely survived the detective said.

Hopefully they are charged with the maximum sentence .

If there are older children -- they need to be placed in foster care where they will be safe. Away from anyone calling themselves "Christians". Speaking about the "extremist" type.

These people remind me of those suffering from delusions.
Going to listen to sermons .... as your baby is dying. Smdh.
:moo:

It hurts reading about this case. My own son developed severe jaundice and had to be moved to a NICU 60 miles away for treatment (he required more than just a uv blanket). I'm willing to concede that there could be less than clear thinking on the part of the woman who had just given birth, but there's no excuse for the husband, grandmother etc who were there not to take action to ensure the infant received medical care. The article I read said the police were notified that the infant died by an out of state sibling to one of the parents. All those people praying over a dead baby for resurrection--when simple treatments almost certainly would've saved her.

Why did the midwife not notify police or social services when the mother said "no" to taking the baby to the doctor? I find that very odd.

Why did the midwife not notify police or social services when the mother said "no" to taking the baby to the doctor? I find that very odd.

RSBM

According to this article (www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4944966/Couple-t-kids-physically-discipline.html ) -- the midwife had left the residence under the assumption they'd heed her advice and take the infant to the ER. Sadly, the couple refused.

Officers learned of the child's death after Rachel's brother called from California and told them of Abigail's death. Emph. mine

Not sure the older kids should be with her parents , since her own mother did not call 911 -- nor did she take the baby to the ER.

He continued: 'They then brought Abigail upstairs to pray for her. Joshua continued to massage Abigail, attempting to get her good air. Emph. mine
What weird planet are these people from ? How does 'good air' help a critically ill newborn ??
And wearing only a diaper and being placed near a window with a hair dryer blowing on her ?
It's as if she didn't care if her baby lived or died. SMDH

Hope they get the maximum sentence. and also feel the older kids should be in foster care and not with Rachel's parents --who didn't take the baby to the hospital when she could have been saved. :(
:moo:

Michigan couple to face trial for not getting baby treatment for jaundice symptoms

By Associated Press

LANSING, Mich. - A Michigan couple will go to trial for allegedly refusing to seek treatment for their baby's jaundice symptoms despite a midwife's warnings.

Rachel Piland, 30, and Joshua Piland, 36, are charged with involuntary manslaughter in connection with the death of their infant, Abigail, in February, the Lansing State Journal reported.

The couple had a duty to seek medical attention after a midwife informed them that their child's symptoms could lead to brain damage or death, said Nicole Matusko, assistant prosecutor in Ingham County...

https://www.clickondetroit.com/news...-getting-baby-treatment-for-jaundice-symptoms

Seven weeks after Abigail's death, Michigan Department of Health and Human Services officials petitioned to have the couple's two boys, currently ages 2 and 3,*removed from their custody due to a "concern of threatened harm of physical neglect."

Ingham County Circuit Court Referee Megan Mertens approved the petition March 31, court records show.

At a review hearing in June, the two boys might have been allowed back into the Pilands' home — with numerous conditions in place — but the couple refused to comply with a court-ordered safety plan that would have outlawed "physical discipline of the children."

SMH. Glad they didn't get the kids back.

http://www.lansingstatejournal.com/...ged-death-newborn-denied-treatment/803416001/

Abigail Piland
The parents of Abigail Piland, a three-day-old newborn, were charged with manslaughter after allegedly refusing to seek medical treatment after their daughter’s home birth in February at the couple's home on the 1400 block of Boston Boulevard. Joshua Piland, 36, and wife Rachel Piland, 30, currently await trial. Police have said the infant had jaundice and the couple refused medical treatment because of their religious beliefs

The article isn't only about this case, it gives updates on several.

https://www.lansingstatejournal.com...here-each-lansing-area-case-stands/976472001/

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lover305
Back