Canada - Terror in Edmonton- Vehicles knives used in assault on LE/Public

CARIIS

Former Member
Reaction score
Five hurt as Edmonton attacks spark terror investigation

Story highlights

• Five people were injured in back-to-back incidents in Edmonton
  • Police chief: Incidents are being investigated as "acts of terrorism"

(CNN)Canadian authorities say two incidents in Edmonton are being investigated as acts of terrorism after a man struck a police officer with a car before stabbing him and later plowed a truck into pedestrians on a busy street, injuring at least four people.

A suspect, who has not been identified, is in custody, said Chief Rod Knecht of the Edmonton Police Service in an early Sunday news conference.
Knecht said authorities believe the man acted alone, but haven't ruled out the possibility that others might be involved.

[video=cnn;world/2017/10/01/edmonton-canada-vehicle-incidents-newday-wknd.cnn]http://www.cnn.com/2017/10/01/americas/edmonton-vehicle-attacks-investigation/index.html[/video]

[h=1]Edmonton hit by 'acts of terror' after police officer gets stabbed and 4 pedestrians are hit by a truck[/h][FONT=&quot]
  • A man ran over a police officer before stabbing him several times in Edmonton, Canada
  • In a separate incident, the driver of a U Haul truck mowed down four pedestrians
  • A 30-year old Edmonton man has been arrested and police are investigating the incidents as "acts of terrorism"
https://www.cnbc.com/2017/10/01/can...r-attack-officer-stabbed-pedestrians-hit.html

[/FONT]

Man that is sick -- maul someone with your car - stop - get out - approach - and start stabbing him

eff you

moo

[video=youtube;c-FVITyTG_I]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-FVITyTG_I[/video]

He was working a football game

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/jasper-downtown-edmonton-pedestrians-struck-1.4315545
[h=2]The police cars just kept coming'[/h]
The U-Haul immediately sped off toward downtown Edmonton, where streets were filled with Saturday night bar crowds and football fans.

As bystanders watched, the van barrelled down Jasper Avenue with up to 20 police vehicles following.

"The police cars just kept coming. They just kept coming," said Jaylene Ellard, who was out with a friend on the crisp fall evening.

Another witness said the vehicles were driving up to 80 km/h in the 50 km/h zone.
attachment.php

One witness said police cars began to block streets that connect to Jasper Avenue. The U-Haul eventually doubled back and drove the opposite way down Jasper Avenue. Near 107th Street the van struck at least two pedestrians.

"Throughout the chase, the U-Haul truck deliberately attempted to hit pedestrians in crosswalks and alleys in two areas along Jasper Avenue," Knecht said.

Eventually, the van flipped and landed on its side.

Pat Hannigan was about a quarter-block away when he heard a loud bang.

"I saw the van on its side, it flipped over, U-Haul van," he said. "And they had a guy handcuffed on the ground and obviously they smashed out the window. They had a pipe or something in their hand."

Knecht said officers did not stop the chase along the busy downtown street "due to the seriousness of the offence — or the believed offence."

Attachments

• map.jpg
    map.jpg
    159.9 KB · Views: 104
I am surprised they attacked anyone in Canada. That was not a smart move.

The terrorist is in custody, hopefully they can get details from him. I am just in shock this happened. We are not immune to attacks but I believe the networks here are so small and RCMP are all aware of them.

OT

GreggR

I tried to find to find you earlier this am. An A380 had a major engine containment failure -- the damage was significant -- everyone fine .

My sense is you will follow this and know you follow aviation.

http://edmontonjournal.com/news/crime/edmonton-police-officer-fortunate-to-even-be-alive
The Edmonton Police Service released video of the crash, and the officer, Const. Mike Chernyk, fighting off his attacker on Sunday morning. Police asked witnesses to come forward or let them know if they have any information about the suspect or his vehicle, which carried the licence plate BML 6845. The Journal confirmed the identity of the officer with police sources.

Hours into a manhunt, the suspect was pulled over a police check stop on Wayne Gretzky Drive and 112 Avenue driving a U-Haul truck. subsequent high-speed chase where several pedestrians were run down, Edmonton Police Chief Rod Knecht said at a 3 a.m. news conference.

“He’s very fortunate to even be alive,” Walsh said. “It just goes to show how the everyday life of a policeman, nothing is ever straight forward. You always think something’s going along well and easy, something as simple as standing at a point during a football game. You don’t expect anything to happen — it just shows you the unexpected can happen at any time.”

After watching video of the incident released by police, Walsh praised the officer for fighting off the attacker. The constable even appears to follow the suspect after the struggle and make a call on his radio, he said.

“It’s a good thing the member, with his training and alertness and attentiveness, was able to fend for himself — after being hit by a vehicle at that speed — and be able to get up and follow the individual and give us a heads up as to where he was heading.”

Edmonton police took the rare step of releasing video footage just hours after an officer staffing a traffic checkpoint was slammed into by a vehicle and attacked with a knife.

The terrorist is in custody, hopefully they can get details from him. I am just in shock this happened. We are not immune to attacks but I believe the networks here are so small and RCMP are all aware of them.

Oh, they (RCMP and city police) are definitely aware of the terrorist cells in these cities. My mom's massage therapist knows someone who works with the Calgary Police Services and they have a task force that specifically works with the terrorist groups. I'm not 100% sure what sort of stuff they do, though....

Oct 1 2017
https://globalnews.ca/news/3778954/edmonton-terror-attacks-evolution-of-terrorism/
Not long ago, terrorists wanted spectacle. Their plots were grandiose, aiming for body count and targets of symbolic importance like the World Trade Centre and Pentagon.

But tactics have evolved in recent years into the kind of incident that unfolded Saturday night in Edmonton: a driver rams a lone police officer directing traffic, then jumps out and stabs him.
Pro-ISIS propaganda continued to incite for vehicle attacks as recently as Friday, when a message warned Canada, Australia and other countries that ISIS “soldiers” who would “run over people by vehicles and cut off their necks.”

“I call it Nike terrorism: just do it,” Gurski said. “And this is what ISIS has been telling people for years.”

https://www.thestar.com/news/canada...ter-cop-stabbed-and-van-hits-pedestrians.html
Edmonton police said they have arrested a 30-year-old man and they believe he acted alone. But police chief Rod Knecht stressed Sunday morning that the investigation is in its early stages and authorities haven’t ruled out others might have been involved.

An Edmonton police spokesperson said anything involving the suspect’s identity cannot be revealed at this time Sunday morning.

In a prepared statement published Sunday morning, Alberta Premier Rachel Notley called the incident horrific.

“It’s left us shocked at the indiscriminate cruelty and angry that someone might target their hatred at places where we gather with our families and friends,” it reads. “As we learn more about what happened last night, I encourage everyone to remain vigilant and to listen to law enforcement authorities.”

“Canadians should remain vigilant and report any suspicious activity to the National Security Tip Line (1-800-420-5805) or by contacting their local police.”
attachment.php

Attachments

• edmonton_uhaul.jpg
    edmonton_uhaul.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 73
Looking at that Uhaul's size is frightening. This could have been so much worse if he had rammed into a crowd leaving the stadium or a movie.

Glad he was as inept as he was clueless. Stay Strong Canada! :canada:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RayaCo
Back