Student solves Rubik's Cube in record 11 seconds!!

Taximom

Former Member
Reaction score
http://www.suntimes.com/output/news/cst-nws-rubik16.html

SAN FRANCISCO -- A 20-year-old California Institute of Technology student set a world's record for solving the Rubik's Cube puzzle, turning it from scrambled to solved in 11.13 seconds

It takes me longer than that to get it out of its package!

**This is the first thread I've started. I hope I put it in the right place.

Taximom said:

SAN FRANCISCO -- A 20-year-old California Institute of Technology student set a world's record for solving the Rubik's Cube puzzle, turning it from scrambled to solved in 11.13 seconds

Looks like the right place to me, Taximom! :)

In the 70's, I bought a book that showed how to "solve" a Rubik's cube. Turns out, it's not really a matter of solving it; there's nothing to figure out. You just do certain set series of turns that move squares from one place to another but don't scramble the other squares. For example: to get a certain color into the upper right corner from the middle right level, turn the bottom clockwise two turns and turn the right side counter clockwise one turn, etc -- (that sort of thing not that exact turn sequence, which I can't remember.) If you know the various sets of turns, "solving" it goes very quickly. I think winning is mostly a matter of how quickly you can turn the thing in competition.

Taximom said:

I saw this guy interviewed on TV. It took him considerably longer to do it on TV, but it was still, very fast.

My cousin was involved in an accident when he was you and lost most of the fingers on one hand (I think it is the right hand?). Yet one day I saw him pick up a rubik's cube and solve it almost immediately. I messed it up pretty good, and again, just a few turns and he solved it again! Totally amazed me!

Boatswain'sMate said:
Looks like the right place to me, Taximom! :)

In the 70's, I bought a book that showed how to "solve" a Rubik's cube. Turns out, it's not really a matter of solving it; there's nothing to figure out. You just do certain set series of turns that move squares from one place to another but don't scramble the other squares. For example: to get a certain color into the upper right corner from the middle right level, turn the bottom clockwise two turns and turn the right side counter clockwise one turn, etc -- (that sort of thing not that exact turn sequence, which I can't remember.) If you know the various sets of turns, "solving" it goes very quickly. I think winning is mostly a matter of how quickly you can turn the thing in competition.
That explains a comment I read about making "quicker turns". Here I thought there was some mathematical reasoning behind it. Very interesting!

Still, I can't even do those flat sliding-square type puzzles to make a picture, let alone something that's 3-dimensional!:banghead:

Taximom said:

:laugh:

Yeah these came out when I was about 12 I think and although I wasn't fortunate enough to get one right away I obtained one from a friend and sat down with it and the first time which at that time you were supposed to have to be a genius to figure it out (the trick) wasn't exposed back then and just fiddeling with it I solved it right away but once you do it it's no more fun. You just have to line up the colors and it's a series of turns to line them up, no genius involved. My daughters were talking about it one day and I laughed realizing another comeback making the rounds, the youngest daughter loves puzzles and word games, etc. and was very disappointed with the Rubik's cube expecting it to be much more of a challenge but turned out to be more hype.

I solved it too by taking it apart and then another time by removing all stickers and putting them in their place! :crazy:

I solved it too by taking it apart and then another time by removing all stickers and putting them in their place!

I did the same... I guess I was too dumb to figure out the turns! LOL

Anyone remember the link thing that came out when the cube did. You had to movie around the tiles to get the links to match up.

LOL, he was just on Letterman. This was his second visit. He failed both times (they let him try for 30 sec).
When Letterman called the halt, he looked at the rubik's cube and said "this piece of "! Then he threw the cube to the floor and ran off the stage.
Letterman says he won't be back!

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taketherisk