Mother accused of confining, not educating daughters - Decatur, IN

DakotaMayi

Former Member
Reaction score
[FONT=&amp]Police arrested a woman they say kept her two teenage daughters confined to their Indiana home for years, failing to educate them or, at times, feed them.

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]Mary Heller was charged with felony neglect after authorities found the teenagers in a home in deplorable conditions. Though it’s not clear exactly how long the girls had been kept inside, court documents indicate they didn’t know much more than the alphabet and basic numbers.[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]According to the affidavit, at Walmart, one of the girls said, “I always dreamed of this, going to the store.”[/FONT]

http://www.wbtv.com/story/36496874/...l&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer

- If this has been already been posted, my search skills are not the best or I have posted it in the wrong place, I apologise in advance!

http://www.wbaltv.com/article/woman...home-that-smelled-like-rotting-flesh/12754267

So did she adopt these girls? How did they get under her care? One of the girls was from Mongolia and the other from China. The article I linked above just says "woman" and "two teen girls" instead of mother and daughters.

It's pretty open ended, right? I would imagine that she adopted them. It seems as if they would have specified if it was something other than Mother and daughters, such as authorities trying to locate the girls families etc. Both articles definitely raise questions though.

What the heck? House smelled like rotting flesh? Clumps of black hair found in some rooms? Who did the hair belong to? Also I wonder what happened to the woman to cause her to be on the floor for 20 hours. When the reporter went to the door, she opened it and spoke to her. Very strange. Looking forward to more info on this one.

What the heck? House smelled like rotting flesh? Clumps of black hair found in some rooms? Who did the hair belong to? Also I wonder what happened to the woman to cause her to be on the floor for 20 hours. When the reporter went to the door, she opened it and spoke to her. Very strange. Looking forward to more info on this one.

Exactly. Lots of questions floating about. My first thought when I read about the smell of rotting flesh was who the hell is dead in there. I assumed the dark hair was the girls' hair, just figured she was that unhealthy but really, it could be a multitude of things. It's scary.

Neighbors said they were concerned about the girls’ well-being for years. Several neighbors told Newschannel 15 that they made multiple calls to Indiana Department or Child Services and Decatur Police Department.

http://wane.com/2017/09/29/affidavit-girls-were-confined-to-decatur-home-for-years/

[FONT=&quot]The girl said that prior to a Department of Child Services visit a year ago, Heller “coached them on what to say” to the case worker, according to the affidavit.[/FONT]

This article suggest Mother too. I mean, I don't know what the situation is here but imagining giving your child up for adoption and then finding out this is how their lives turned out?

This article suggest Mother too. I mean, I don't know what the situation is here but imagining giving your child up for adoption and then finding out this is how their lives turned out?

:(

Was just getting updated on Faye Lin Cannon's case...children adopted from China...

And Sherin Mathew's case, a little girl adopted from India...

:(

Was just getting updated on Faye Lin Cannon's case...children adopted from China...

And Sherin Mathew's case, a little girl adopted from India...

I wasn't familiar with Sherin but I just looked her up... :gaah:

I HATE these cases! I have several friends who have adopted children internationally.
Children from orphanages who were literally left there to die.
These kids don't know how to cry. Because after that many years of no response, they stop crying.
You basically have to pay a ransom to rescue these kids, like a $30,000 ransom.

These were children who's weight often equaled their AGE. Yes a 10 pound 10 year old.
I have watched these children grow, thrive, gain weight, learn and shatter all prior expectations of them.
There is only a handful that end up in situations like this.

However, every time it does happen it's made more difficult for people to adopt them.
So more end up dying in these orphanages never even knowing what it's like to be loved.
It's infuriating.

One of the girls is 19, which is too old to be considered a child. Yet obviously not prepared whatsoever to function in society because she was allegedly not allowed to leave the house except to get mail, and with barely any education. I wonder what will happen to her.

One would have thought that during one of the times the girls were in school, the school officials would have picked up on it

One would have thought that during one of the times the girls were in school, the school officials would have picked up on it

Probably didn't start until after they had been taken out of school. Although, what procedures are in place for a child taken out of school? Surely you can't just take a child out and no one check on them.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back