Belize - Gabriel Bochnia, 38, Canadian. murdered, Corozal, 4 Oct 2017

dotr

Reaction score
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/gabriel-bochnia-belize-toronto-killed-1.4343056
attachment.php

The family of a man originally from Toronto is grieving after the 38-year-old was fatally shot just outside his home in Belize Wednesday night.

Gabriel Bochnia is being remembered as a devoted father, beloved son and brother, his sister, Kate Bochnia, told CBC News.

"He was known for his big heart, always willing to assist those in need," said Bochnia's sister, who lives in Toronto. "His loss is a horrific blow to our family and friends and we are devastated."
Bochnia was returning to his family's home in the Chula Vista area of the seaside town of Corozal with his wife and their three children when he was shot, Belize police spokesperson Raphael Martinez said.

Martinez said Bochnia had gotten out of his vehicle to open the gate when a man with a rag over his face emerged from behind the bushes, shooting Bochnia in the abdomen.
He died in hospital.
Martinez says Bochnia's wife — 27-year-old Jeshanah Maritza-Zetina — and the children were not injured and the attacker fled.
Martinez could not say how long Bochnia had lived in Belize, adding that the investigation is in its early stages.

Attachments

• gabriel-bochnia.jpg
    gabriel-bochnia.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 101
http://www.7newsbelize.com/sstory.php?nid=42164
Corozal residents are shaken tonight after another Canadian has been killed in their town, this time in the Chula Vista area.
attachment.php
attachment.php

Another Canadian Killed In Corozal
posted (October 5, 2017)
10:00. Bochnia and his family had just come back from a Chetunmal trip. They had taken Bochnia's parents to get the bus to Cancun and then to Canada. But now, his parents have to return to Belize - this time it's not for a vacation but for their son's funeral. Courtney Weatherburne went to Corozal today to find out about the deadly late night encounter. Courtney Weatherburne reporting
Gabriel and Jeshanah Bochnia had been married for 7 Years. They were blessed with 3 beautiful children. But the joy captured in this Christmas photo was taken from them last night.
Voice of: Neighbor 1
"Around 10:20pm I would say, there was a storm, thunder, lightning, whatever, but I was getting ready to sleep and when I heard what sounded to me like gunshots."
Those gunshots struck Gabriel Bochnia to his stomach. Gabriel and the family had just parked in front of their house after a trip to Chetumal. Gabriel barely made it out of his truck when the gunman known to police as Polo ran up to him and fired two shots - one hit him and caused the fatal injury:
Voice of: Neighbor 2
"I heard a noise, so the first thing what I did about this noise, I opened my window to see what's happening, because like how there was thunder and raining i just opened to see what happened and then I see this guy dropping on the floor."
After shooting Gabriel, the gunman turned the gun to his wife, Jeshanah but it misfired. He then ran off leaving Jeshanah screaming for help and her kids frozen in shock and fear in the back seat of the truck. The neighbor then came out to help.
Voice of: Neighbor 2
"I just open the door again and I went to help her. I tried to put him in the pick up - the 3 of us tried to put him in the pick up and then he was so heavy, so we tried to pull him up, because we see that he needed help. This little boy, his son, came down from the truck to see his dad. He was saying they shoot dad and I just tried to put him back in the pick up so we could go, because we can't left the kids."
"We took the kids and we put him in the pick up and we just drive to go."
Courtney Weatherburne, reporter
"The children, they saw everything."

And all that doubt after an execution like this, still hangs for Canadian Francesca Matus. Matus and her boyfriend Drew Devoursney were found dead in Chan Chen Corozal in May. Gabriel Bochnia is the second Canadian murdered in Corozal in 6 months, leaving more broken families desperate for answers. We will keep following this case - but police aren't saying anything about possible motives or suspects. They only said that they recovered two 9 millimeter shells from the scene.
Bochnia becomes the third Canadian to be slain in Corozal in the last 4 years. As noted in the story, Francesca Matus was killed earlier this year, and 57 year-old Canadian Patricia Lynn Nichiporowich was murdered in Consejo Village in 2013.

Attachments

• gabriel5.10.17b.jpg
    gabriel5.10.17b.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 93
  • gabriel5.10.17.jpg
    gabriel5.10.17.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 91
http://www.torontosun.com/2017/10/0...hot-in-belize-police-say-suspect-fled-on-foot
rbbm
Cops believe the gunman was waiting for him and that the Canadian man was targeted. It’s believed he knew his killer, who local media reports say is a former employee known as Polo who’d just been released from prison.

Bochnia had been living in Belize for nearly a decade and had no known enemies, neighbours told Channel 5. It’s believed the suspected triggerman is in custody along with an American national.
Witnessing the nightmare were Bochnia’s three young children.

“This little boy, his son, came down from the truck to see his dad,” the neighbour said, adding they were trying to get Bochnia in a vehicle and take him to a hospital.

“He was saying, ‘they shoot dad,’ and I just tried to put him back in the pickup so we could go because we can’t leave the kids,” the man added. “The children, they saw everything.”

Meanwhile, the investigation into who murdered real estate speculator Matus remains ice cold, with friends fearing there may never be a resolution.

In 2013, another Canadian, Patricia Lynn Nichiporowich, was stabbed to death in Belize.

Just randomly searched the co-owner of the GP (Gabriel Bochia) construction, Paul Haberling (per this article on the donation of a bullet catcher http://www.ctv3belizenews.com/index...-catcher-donated-to-corozal-police&Itemid=108)

His close 'friend' (probably a romantic relationship) and her daughter were shot in Corozal in 2012, http://edition.channel5belize.com/archives/72730. He talks about a large amount of money missing from the safe, but it doesn't seem to have been removed until later...very bizarre. No follow up in the media on any arrests.

Um yeah, I'm going out on a limb here to suggest that it's rather unsafe to do business in Belize, regardless of your nationality. There are always going to be people who resent your perceived success or wealth and it appears there is no real deterrent to them if they feel like killing you for it or because of it.

They couldn't pay me to move to Belize after the things I've read. Doubt I'd ever choose to vacation there either.

RIP Mr Bochnia. :rose:

:notgood:

Um yeah, I'm going out on a limb here to suggest that it's rather unsafe to do business in Belize, regardless of your nationality. There are always going to be people who resent your perceived success or wealth and it appears there is no real deterrent to them if they feel like killing you for it or because of it.

They couldn't pay me to move to Belize after the things I've read. Doubt I'd ever choose to vacation there either.

RIP Mr Bochnia. :rose:

:notgood:

I agree, and speculate it's easy/cheap/low risk to hire someone to kill for you. So I think quite possibly the motive behind some of the unsolved murders of expats is personal, and another expat has hired someone to do it for them.

Here is Gabriel's facebook, if you snoop back far enough he may have been involved in a lawsuit, possibly initiating it...

https://www.facebook.com/luxybelize.luxy?lst=100002691605143:100003308704450:1507339870

Looks like he was involved in/partners with someone and they were running the club luxy for about a year until it was shut down. That was back in 2011/12. His Facebook page seems to have originally been created to promote the club.

He appears to have been partners with someone in a construction business more recently. The pictures of his home in Corozal don't look like he was living an extravagant life down there so it probably is nothing more than a disgruntled ex employee who was sent to jail for some reason and then sought revenge once he was released.

MOO

Another article clarifies that both GB and his wife recognized the gunman, in spite of his having a rag over his face. Seems like a desperate plan, to shoot him in the presence of his wife, so it could have been overwhelming hatred and desire for revenge. http://edition.channel5belize.com/archives/153871

http://www.torontosun.com/2017/10/11/accused-belize-gunman-tied-to-cop-killing
The man accused of gunning down a former Toronto man in front of his wife and kids in Belize was also involved in a 2005 cop killing.
Police Const. Morris Martinez’s decomposing body was discovered eight days after he suddenly vanished.
Cops said the motive for their colleague’s death was robbery. Kiou was part of a robbery ring and another suspect took the fall for the slaying. Kiou was jailed for his role in the heist — but not the homicide.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vjeanine
Back