MI MI - Carson McDowell, 43, Ferndale, 4 Aug 1977

Nina Michigan

Verified President/Founder of Missing in Michigan
Reaction score
The body of 43 year old Carson McDowell, a West Bloomfield resident, was found in a field near 8 Mile road in Ferndale. His car was discovered a few blocks south of 8 Mile in Detroit.

Cause of death was shock and hemorrhage from a cut to his arm. He also had other cuts and cigarette burns on his body.

McDowell was an executive at General Motors who disappeared en route to a meeting at the (former) Hyatt Regency in Dearborn. His body was found the next day. The location of his body did not match the route he should have taken from West Bloomfield to the meeting where he was expected to address the group.

This case is loaded with rumor and innuendo. Talk of prostitution, Gay clubs, and unsavory characters who inhabited the Woodward corridor near where his vehicle was located.

attachment.php

Attachments

• McDowell Free Press.jpg
    McDowell Free Press.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 92
I can't find anything on the internet about this murder. Where can we get info?

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk

I have a news archive subscription and came across it while researching another case. There is very little online about Mr Carson's murder.

I have a news archive subscription and came across it while researching another case. There is very little online about Mr Carson's murder.
It's a bit strange there is nothing. He was a GM executive. So it has to have been an high level case.

it was a high level case, but it was also 40 years ago.

True. But there are others old cases that are pretty well documented in the net. Anyway, I agree that the older it is, the less likely we are to see detailed information anywhere.

Located the McDowells on Find a Grave. He is buried next to his wife, Ann, out in Oregon. She died in 2011.

I also found a story from 1959, he was in the Air Guard and his Scorpion collided with another fighter over Mount Hood! Mr McDowell lived an interesting life.

Sounds as though this case should be picked up by one of the better podcasts. It's always good when they dig into really obscure cases instead of just going for the low-hanging fruit. I'd really like to see Generation Why tackle this one.

Sounds as though this case should be picked up by one of the better podcasts. It's always good when they dig into really obscure cases instead of just going for the low-hanging fruit. I'd really like to see Generation Why tackle this one.

Actually, this case has just been picked up by one of the better podcasts: Already Gone. The host, Nina Innsted, initiated this thread. She does a great job investigating true crime cases. You can check out her podcast here: http://www.alreadygonepodcast.com/

This case also reminds me of the torture murder of John McKinney in September 1977. McKinney was an art dealer with ties to the Oakland County Child murders.

McDowell was a father of two children, he served in the Oregon air guard and survived a 1959 crash over Mt Hood during his service. After his death, his wife took their younger son (older child went off to college) back to Oregon where she'd grown up.

His murder deserves resolution.

McDowell was a father of two children, he served in the Oregon air guard and survived a 1959 crash over Mt Hood during his service. After his death, his wife took their younger son (older child went off to college) back to Oregon where she'd grown up.

His murder deserves resolution.
Are there any suspects?

Did they find any butts from the cigarettes used to burn him? Those might contain DNA evidence.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back