AZ AZ - Pima Co., WhtFem UP17112, 16-27, found on Mt Lemmon, Apr'72

Romulus

Ivan
Reaction score
NamUs UP 17112

https://www.identifyus.org/en/cases/17112

Unidentified Body/Remains (White Female)

Found April 1, 2000 in Pima County, AZ
Body Condition: Not recognizable - partial skeletal parts only
Probable year of death: 1959 to 1965
Estimated postmortem interval: Years

Vital Statistics
Estimated age: 16-27 (Adult - Pre 30)
Approximate Height: 62 estimate
Approximate Weight: cannot estimate
Hair Color:
Brown; medium brown, slightly curly, length ranges from 4" to 6 1/2"
Eye Color: Unknown
Scars and marks:
nothing

Clothing & Accessories
Clothing:
blue denims- 25"-25 1/2" waist, zipper on the left side, belt loops, Western style pockets (buttons missing)
a white pearl button (probably from the denims)

Jewerly: nothing
Footwear:
2pr. of shoes- white, moccasin-style shoes and a pair of canvass, lace-up shoes with rubber soles

Accessories:
2 Pall Mall cigarette packages: finger nail file;demonstration tube of "Pagoda" lipstick (Avon); small chain (key chain type); three match book covers- two of which were manufactured by the "Monarch Match Co."- San Jose, CA.; clear plastic comb; 12 coins- years up to 1959; page fragments from possible street corner literature; Tucson Rapid Transit Zone 3 transfer ticket; yellow "flight bag" ; straw purse

Identifiers
Fingerprints: Fingerprint information is not available
Dentals: Dental information / charting is not available
DNA: Sample submitted - tests complete

Case History:
Remains on Mt. Lemmon, 2.5 miles south of fire tower, found by a member of the public.

That's a really remote area.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/searc.../@32.4251724,-110.7947176,3029m/data=!3m1!1e3

Assuming there's just the one fire tower, her location 2.5 miles south of it is putting her on or south of the trail which is faintly marked on the maps, but she would have had to walk several miles over very rough ground wearing completely unsuitable footwear. The nearest starting point is the picnic area at Marshall Gulch over to the east.

And why would she have two pairs of shoes, assuming they were both hers?

Given that she had a Tucson area transit ticket (how did it survive the elements for more than 50 years?), it seems likely that's where she was from - maybe on a daytrip with a boyfriend who killed her and left her body on the mountain.

And why would she have two pairs of shoes, assuming they were both hers?
Because she travels a lot and need a spare change.

Given that she had a Tucson area transit ticket (how did it survive the elements for more than 50 years?), it seems likely that's where she was from - maybe on a daytrip with a boyfriend who killed her and left her body on the mountain.
I wouldn't be so sure about her being of Tucson. She might had been traveling for her job, because of demonstration lipstick by Avon.
I would widen the net searching.

However, the "demonstration tube of "Pagoda" lipstick (Avon)" and "three match book covers- two of which were manufactured by the "Monarch Match Co."- San Jose, CA" would help us narrow down a date she died by knowing when was it sold.

With the "demonstration tube of "Pagoda" lipstick (Avon)", we also know that she was a demonstrator for Avon.
So, it'll help narrowing the research by eliminating "lawyer", "teacher" and so forth.

Match Manufacturers:
Monarch Match Co.
(1946-1966)
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]For a company that was only around for 20 years, Monarch produced quite a few covers...or, perhaps it’s just that I’m a California collector and, this being a California company, I run into them more than the typical collector elsewhere in the country. In any event, Monarch, while never in the same class as Universal, Diamond, and Lion, did manage to leave its mark on the industry and the hobby, here and there.
It actually didn’t disappear completely in 1966. It merged with Superior Match Co. (post-1966 covers carried a "Monarch/Superior" manumark); in 1967, Brown Co. (parent company of Superior) was taken over by Gulf & Western Industries, Inc. In 1979, Gulf & Western sold Brown Co. to James River Corp. of VA. Today, both Monarch and Superior are long gone.
The company’s production center was in San Jose, CA (that’s just south of San Francisco). The factory closed its doors forever in 1980.

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...Fem-UP17112-16-27-remains-on-Mt-Lemmon-Apr-00

[/FONT]
[/FONT]

Thanks Bit of Hope !

So, she died before 1966 and she was a demonstrator for Avon.

Because she travels a lot and need a spare change.

Yes, very possibly, but why would she take two pairs to so remote a place as where she was found? From the description, neither pair seem suitable for walking that trail.

I wouldn't be so sure about her being of Tucson. She might had been traveling for her job, because of demonstration lipstick by Avon.
I would widen the net searching.

Surely demos like this one are given by the rep to their clients who want to try a new shade. I'd say she was more likely to be an Avon client than a rep. My mother was an Avon rep for a number of years and she used to buy packs of 20 of these samples of a new shade of lipstick or a new perfume and slip one into a regular customer's order bag as a freebie.

However, the "demonstration tube of "Pagoda" lipstick (Avon)" and "three match book covers- two of which were manufactured by the "Monarch Match Co."- San Jose, CA" would help us narrow down a date she died by knowing when was it sold.

Agreed. I assumed that the end date (1959-1965) was dictated by the time the lipstick shade or the matchbooks ceased production, but it would be good to have confirmation of that. No doubt Avon's archivist or historian would know the production dates of the shade.

With the "demonstration tube of "Pagoda" lipstick (Avon)", we also know that she was a demonstrator for Avon.
So, it'll help narrowing the research by eliminating "lawyer", "teacher" and so forth.

See above comment. I think it more likely that she was a customer and was given the sample by her rep.

Yes, very possibly, but why would she take two pairs to so remote a place as where she was found? From the description, neither pair seem suitable for walking that trail.
I would say that she was dumped there rather than going there for a trail

1977 is well after the EDD. She would not had had the Monarch Match Co" matchbox

I would say that she was dumped there rather than going there for a trail

When you say "dumped" I assume you mean that she was carried to that spot already dead and left?

If so, her killer would have had to carry her several miles along a rough trail. Take a look at the map I linked to earlier and you will see what I mean.

I know women were a lot smaller and lighter in those days (her waist was 25"), but that's still a long way for a man to carry a deadweight of over 100lb over that terrain.

When you say "dumped" I assume you mean that she was carried to that spot already dead and left?

If so, her killer would have had to carry her several miles along a rough trail. Take a look at the map I linked to earlier and you will see what I mean.

I know women were a lot smaller and lighter in those days (her waist was 25"), but that's still a long way for a man to carry a deadweight of over 100lb over that terrain.

But was this place very remote in the '50-'60s ? Was there any road for a car ? Because I assume she was transported by car from another place.

Donnis was the first possible that crossed my mind. The earliest date (1959), the height and build are all correct, Donnis was just at the lower end of the estimated age range, but the hair colour and its curliness are off.
Sorry for the obsession, but in those days, do 15yo girls used Avon make-up ? I clearly doubt so

But was this place very remote in the '50-'60s ? Was there any road for a car ? Because I assume she was transported by car from another place.

I refer you to the map I posted earlier.

Yes, it was and is a very remote spot. The nearest road access is a dead end road leading to a picnic site several miles to the east.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back