PA - Dr. Cyril Wecht for public corruption, Pittsburgh, 2006

What he is going to lose is his new job as Medical Examiner here in Allegheny County. Prior to his appointment to this newly created position (formerly there was a Coroner) Wecht signed an agreement with Pittsburgh City Council President Dan Onorato that if he was indicted by the Federal Grand Jury he would immediately resign the new position.

The charges stem from allegations that Wecht used his position of Coroner to advance his own private career, used county paid employees to run personal errands, performed personal work using county resources, etc.

For whatever reason, Cyril evokes strong feelings in this town. It seems to be love him or hate him....with most of the hate hims coming from people who have worked closely with him in some capacity.

Wonder if this indictment will endanger his standing as an "expert" on the talk show circuit?

Link

Celebrity coroner indicted

Friday, January 20, 2006; Posted: 3:15 p.m. EST (20:15 GMT)

PITTSBURGH (AP) -- Dr. Cyril Wecht, a nationally renowned medical examiner who consulted in the deaths of Elvis Presley and JonBenet Ramsey, was indicted Friday on federal charges of using county employees to campaign for him and handle his private lab work.

The indictment also accuses Wecht of trading unclaimed bodies stored by the county coroners office, which he headed, to a Pittsburgh university in exchange for use of a laboratory there for his private practice.

Wecht, 74, immediately resigned from his $105,000-a-year post as Allegheny County's medical examiner after learning of the indictment.

Whoa! Imagine that!

With all of Wecht's double-talk during the Peterson investigation, he appeared to be going off of the deep end. That's unfortunate, as at one time, he was very highly respected; I think he lost a great deal of respect over the past few years.

Simply Unbelievable!

Maybe our Mod can join the 3 threads together, as this could be an interesting case to follow.

I'm thinking he must have some mental fatigue or imbalance to do something, quite overtly, that he has to know is against the law!

Scandi

Buzzm1 said:
With all of Wecht's double-talk during the Peterson investigation, he appeared to be going off of the deep end. That's unfortunate, as at one time, he was very highly respected; I think he lost a great deal of respect over the past few years.

I agree. What the heck came over him?!

I always thought he talked as though he was always interrupting himself! LOL He had such a unique way of talking, and it often sounded like you could hear his brain going back and forth on an issue, and as a new thought crept in, he would of course have to interject it in his other train of thought.

Do you know if the charges in the early 80's involved the trading of unidentified corpses for something related to his private biz?

PS: I'm suppose to be working :eek: , and here I am! Heaven forbid LOL Hey Gabby, are you working this afternoon too? :laugh: :D

Scandi

84 counts!!! :woohoo: Can't stand the guy so maybe now we'll see less of him.

Wasn't he involved with a DUI/accident last year or something>

Unbelievable! He does act scatter brained anymore listening to him and at times he sounds intelligent and knows what he's talking about whereas other times he says the most ludicrous stuff he sounds totally incompetent and I thought he was doing it to create controversy.

What is funny is was scheduled to be Susan Polk's expert witness. Can we say down the drain Susan!!!

He traded unclaimed bodies for lab time???? I can't even imagine that. What gives anyone the right to volunteer some other person's dead body for research?

How Funny Strach! {wavy guy}

I'm wondering if it could be all the formaldahide he's been exposed to over the years! Also, if he is a real alcoholic in an advanced stage, he might have lost brain cells or had damage to them.

I just read an article about the little things in each cell of the brain that look like I-beams, and when they collapse those cells are no longer usable. Also, plaque builds up in the brain which forms like a long cellular structure. When people have both of these conditions they have dimentia. Alcohol does kill brain cells!

Scandi

What irks (sp) me is that he took money from the county that was probably strapped for money anyway, especially in this department! I have worked that department and it's like pulling teeth!

I had a lot of respect for him until the Scott Peterson trial. Then he did seem to have lost it somewhere along the way. Same with Dr. Lee. Thought he had lost it during OJ Simpson's trial and then I was sure of it during the other Peterson trial when he spit ketsup on that board. I wonder if something happens to these guys in their later years....maybe due to all of the chemicals that they are around for so many years or just working with death day in and day out.

If Dr. W does have a problem with alcohol he probably does have wet brain by now. Poor old thing. Making $105,000 a year!!! I can't even imagine what I would do with that amount of money. Wow.

Mabel said:
He traded unclaimed bodies for lab time???? I can't even imagine that. What gives anyone the right to volunteer some other person's dead body for research?
I am sure they didn't mind.:eek:

i read alot of his books when i was in high school. he inspired me to go to university to become a forensic pathologist. he and thomas noguchi.

on a side note, i became a nurse lol.

deandaniellws said:
I am sure they didn't mind.:eek:
Well he traded their bodies for a free laboratory for his private practice...where he made$4.69 MILLION from 1997-2004 Nice work if you can get it ..since they were unidentified how did they give consent???? :eek:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohbeehaave
Back