NC - Child's Grave Marker Repossessed by Monument Company

FlossyMay

Reaction score
http://www.wbtv.com/story/36611293/5-year-olds-grave-marker-repossessed-after-dispute

[FONT=&quot]A Hickory couple is in disbelief after their son’s grave marker was repossessed by the manufacturer. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The manufacturer says he is owed money, but the family says that’s just not true. Now the child’s grave marker is gone and the family is hiring an attorney.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]“This is my lowest point," mother Crystal Leatherman said. "He doesn’t care.”[/FONT]

attachment.php

[FONT=&quot]Shoaf says it’s all about paying his workers. But he says he does feel for the family.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]“They’ve been through an awful lot, I know that. And right now, they’re thinking emotionally, and having that grave out there unmarked - that’s emotional trauma. I lost a child, I know what that is,” Shoaf said.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]For the Leathermans, it’s no longer about the money but the precedent their situation may set for others.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]“Most people are just going to do it. If they can do it, they’re going to do it. But it doesn’t make it right,” Crystal Leatherman said.[/FONT]

Attachments

• 1asocial.jpg
    1asocial.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 137
What the heck!? This is awful!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk

I agree. I've never heard of such a thing. This man will probably lose a lot of business over this. I don't know why he didn't just take them to court, if they actually owe him money.

I disagree. I've owned several businesses. As a former florist, the two types of business you get ripped of the most are weddings and funerals. I learned to get the money up front and don't buy sob stories. Once they are married or buried, the customer forgets all about you. I don't blame the guy at all.

I know my previous post sounds harsh but that comes from being taken advantage of too many times. I don't have a problem at all with him holding on to the marker until it's paid for and then reinstalling it-at the customers expense of course.

They showed a receipt that said paid in full and have hired an attorney. I am eager to see how this plays out. The companies around here will allow families to make payments, but will not deliver the marker/headstone until it is paid for. I have seen many a grave go without the marker for months until the funds were saved up to pay it off.

I'm just wondering if this would be defacing/desecrating a grave? That's illegal.

Update says the owner apologized and replaced the headstone. Must have started to affect his business.

[FONT=&quot]On Tuesday, Shoaf offered an apology along with a statement after WBTV aired the story on Monday night.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]"We'd like very much so to return the grave marker back to Woodlawn Cemetery and give our appreciation to the media for helping us get this resolved, that the family would not owe us anything, we will mark their bill paid in full," Shoaf said. "We waive all expenses from the Leatherman family. If there are any charges to be paid to the cemetery to have this reinstalled, we will pay all expenses for doing that, and we're sorry this has happened."[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Shoaf continued, "In hindsight, it was a big mistake to have the cemetery remove it, we see it now, but we do offer the family our condolence, and forgiveness... we hope they forgive us. It has hurt everybody involved, and we hope they have it in their heart to forgive us for it. Our prayers are with the family, and we hope we can be friends down the road."[/FONT]

http://www.wbtv.com/story/36619994/...xpenses-after-childs-grave-marker-repossessed

Sometimes humanity and compassion do prevail. There may have been a misunderstanding along the way between the two parties. Taking the gravestone away was pretty low. IMO

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sarahlm8627
Back