Dead Man Rides Subway For Hours Before Anyone Notices

PrayersForMaura

Help Find Maura Murray
Reaction score
NEW YORK -- A man was found dead on a New York City subway car during Thursday morning rush hour, and his lifeless body may have ridden on the train for about six hours.

A city transit spokesman said the body of Eugene Reilly was found in the last car of the train in the 14th Street-Union Square station in Manhattan shortly after 7 a.m.

The train was evacuated while emergency medical technicians were called to the scene.

Authorities said there are no signs of foul play or injuries. An autopsy has been scheduled to determined the cause and time of death.

More: http://www.wsoctv.com/news/6279148/detail.html

:confused: Pardon my stupidity here. I don't use public transportation in my small city. Are the subways usually pretty empty at those hours? I thought New York was the "city that doesn't sleep"? I just figured there was always a lot of people everywhere.

It just seems odd to me that no one would notice this man was dead for hours. Maybe people just thought he was sleeping.

I don't know whether it's a good thing that we tend to mind our own business in society or a bad thing, that we don't care enough to look around at others, to even see if people are alive and breathing. Or if looking at someone on a subway and making eye contact or staring is just considered rude and too invasive?

Anyway, it's just really sad. :(

Prayers for his family.

I agree PrayersForMaura it is indeed sad.
frown.gif

It is possible in a big city that people would just mind their own business and not notice a man who looked like he was asleep. Also, In a big city there are homeless people who ride the subway to sleep in a "safe", warm place.

Its also an environment that looking too closely at a person could get you assaulted, or worse, if someone decides to take offense because you were looking at them too closely.

I've never been to NY so I don't know about that city specifically. I have ridden the subways in other big cities though and I've even been startled by someone who I thought was dead, who suddenly jumped up and got off the subway!!!!!! How he knew it was his stop I don't know!

Very typical New York.......I've passed people laying on the sidewalk looking like they're dead and people walk around them! I like New York for a short stay but it's not a particularly warm a warm and fuzzy place.

xxxxxxxxxoooo
mama

Well, if they noticed at 7a.m., then maybe not so many were riding after 1:00 a.m.; or lots of people ride asleep or look drunk at that time. Or you're afraid of assault at that time. It could have been a homeless individual; people just thought he was asleep.

Since ER P. were called during rush hour, that shows that he was noticed right away in the morning.

In defense of my city I would like to say that this poor unfortunate man was riding at a time of very little ridership, the early morning hours. He was, by the accounts I have read, sitting up with his eyes closed. He looked like he was sleeping. New Yorkers don't go over to strangers on the subway train and wake them up. They leave them alone.

Someone did nudge him and discover that he was dead and informed authorities.

I resent the notion that my city isn't friendly. That's not true. There are rude people everywhere and friendly people everywhere. What I have heard from many, many tourists is how warm and nice the New Yorkers they have met have been to them.

I have never been treated with anything but politeness any time I have gone to NYC.

lisafremont said:
In defense of my city I would like to say that this poor unfortunate man was riding at a time of very little ridership, the early morning hours. He was, by the accounts I have read, sitting up with his eyes closed. He looked like he was sleeping. New Yorkers don't go over to strangers on the subway train and wake them up. They leave them alone.

Someone did nudge him and discover that he was dead and informed authorities.

I resent the notion that my city isn't friendly. That's not true. There are rude people everywhere and friendly people everywhere. What I have heard from many, many tourists is how warm and nice the New Yorkers they have met have been to them.
I've never visited New York City, but I would love to!!!! :)

I LOVE NYC! I really think many at this hour of the day just thought he was sleeping...very sad but true.

I saw that Weekend at Bernies was on yesterday... :truce:

Love_Mama said:
Very typical New York.......I've passed people laying on the sidewalk looking like they're dead and people walk around them! I like New York for a short stay but it's not a particularly warm a warm and fuzzy place.

xxxxxxxxxoooo
mama

Wow, I thought that most people thought better of us :confused: All in all, I wouldn't live anywhere else.

Nancy

lynie said:
I LOVE NYC! I really think many at this hour of the day just thought he was sleeping...very sad but true.

That is one hilarious movie!! Sick and twisted, but hilarious.

lynie said:

Lynie Thanks for the chuckle about Weekend.Now this might sound Morbid to some but.My dad had CGH so we decided to let him have his last few days at my sister Townhouse.Well we all got rid of our grief knowing his days were short.The day it happened we called the Funeral home to come get him. here comes these two gents up 24 stairs to get him. Yeah the one thing we all forgot was the stairs.I am standing at the window and start chuckling looking out the window. My sister comes up an asks if I would help them with Dad down the stairs. It was and Honor to do it.We get him down the stairs an I come back up laughing.My two sisters are looking at me like have you lost it.I told them the reason I was chuckling and laughing was the only thing I could see was the scene in Weekend at Bernies when he takes a ride down the stairs. They both started to crack up.

Now on a sad note. A friend of mine was telling me about the time they took theier Mom to ER with chest pains.They were sitting in the waiting room and noticed a older man that looked like he was sleeping. After about an hour they call this gentlemans name no answer. They call agin same thing. The nurse comes out checks this guy and runs back to get a gurney. Yep the man died in the ER waiting to be seen.

Wonder if the family got a bill for the extra time spent on the train. I know! I know! Sick joke!

NK57 said:
Wow, I thought that most people thought better of us :confused: All in all, I wouldn't live anywhere else.

Nancy

i wasn't going to post to this, but......i visited NYC in December 1994...(a tour bus thing)...even though i loved it, & the sights, folks were a bit "short" w/me...only happened 2 or 3 times, & nothing major, but it was very obvious, on the bus ride back home to TN, folks slowed down & were much nicer.......(doesn't get out of the state a whole lot)

:laugh:

Wolfwood said:
For some reason I'm reminded of the movie Collateral....

..you're right...i went to this thread because of this response...lol, got sidetracked...but you're right..i liked that movie..

I have never been to New York City but always wanted to visit,especially the Statue of Liberty. I feel sad in a way because I know I'll never make the trip...A few years back a fellow was found lying on a couch in a very popular hospital in the Cleveland area,man had been dead at least 28 hours.It seemed he had an arguement with his wife.He had no where to go that night.He went to the hospital,into a room set aside for families who have a dear one about to pass.There he died. The cleaning women saw him but thought he was just sleeping.A nurse went in after awhile and realized he was dead..He was familiar with the room as his mom had passed at that hospital.I dont feel I should mention the name but honest it happened..Weekend at Bernies was hilarious!!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back