What are the consistencies in the Routier's stories?

Marie

Daughter, if you don't remember us...who will?
Reaction score
Hello all! I'm new to this forum and just learning about the case. If my question has been addressed before I apologize (haven't had time to read through every post).

I'm wondering if anyone knows what Darli & Darrin have stated (in their many stories) consistently? I believe every lie contains a truth, that liars embellish their story around the truthful parts in the belief that it makes the story more plausible - OR some things that happened make such an impression on the liar that they unconsciously mention those things over and over.

For instance, has Darli consistently stated that she heard "Mommy, Mommy"? Has Darrin always said that he the 1st thing he heard was glass breaking?

I think if we could condense their stories down to the consistencies that it would be very helpful in discovering what is probably factual.

Marie said:
Hello all! I'm new to this forum and just learning about the case. If my question has been addressed before I apologize (haven't had time to read through every post).

I'm wondering if anyone knows what Darli & Darrin have stated (in their many stories) consistently? I believe every lie contains a truth, that liars embellish their story around the truthful parts in the belief that it makes the story more plausible - OR some things that happened make such an impression on the liar that they unconsciously mention those things over and over.

For instance, has Darli consistently stated that she heard "Mommy, Mommy"? Has Darrin always said that he the 1st thing he heard was glass breaking?

I think if we could condense their stories down to the consistencies that it would be very helpful in discovering what is probably factual.
He slipped one time and said he heard her yelling. Darlie corrected him! LMAO!

Marie said:

Darin has always been consistent saying he heard the glass break and then a few seconds/minutes later Darlie screaming Devon's name over and over again. If you read the Bond hearing testimony and his trial testimony, you will see how he changed his story to help Darlie. I am afraid I don't have the energy to recall what all the inconsistencies are. You might look at the read only thread here (at the top). I think there is something posted there that shows the many changes. They don't change the whole story just parts of it here and there over a period of time. I think in response to questioning by police.

Marie

I agree with your theory that we should look at the consistencies. But I bet most people can't answer you because we have been looking at the inconsistencies. The only consistency I can think of right off the top of my head is the glass breaking and Darlie saying "Devon, Devon, Devon".

But now that you've brought it up I will keep that in mind when I'm studying stuff. Bring this thread to the front every once in a while and maybe we will be able to put together a sticky later on.

justice2 said:
Marie

I agree with your theory that we should look at the consistencies. But I bet most people can't answer you because we have been looking at the inconsistencies. The only consistency I can think of right off the top of my head is the glass breaking and Darlie saying "Devon, Devon, Devon".

But now that you've brought it up I will keep that in mind when I'm studying stuff. Bring this thread to the front every once in a while and maybe we will be able to put together a sticky later on.
Thanks, I''m glad you can see the importance of looking at the consistencies. I was thinking of maybe using the sticky thread 16 Different Versions of Darlie's story to compare the stories - wish I knew how to use a spreedsheet program!

Marie said:
Thanks, I''m glad you can see the importance of looking at the consistencies. I was thinking of maybe using the sticky thread 16 Different Versions of Darlie's story to compare the stories - wish I knew how to use a spreedsheet program!
Isn't that the truth! They lied so much I don't know how they kept all their lies straight....:doh: Oh yeah...they didn't! That is why she is in jail.:woohoo:Works for me! I am glad they were not afraid to give her the death penalty.:p

Marie said:

I'm wondering if anyone knows what Darli & Darrin have stated (in their many stories) consistently?
Oops. I read your post wrong, Marie. Sorry about that. Justice is right. This is a good idea. I will put on my thinking cap.

Do yall put much weight on the nurses reports? The trial transcripts differ greatly with what was written on her charts in the hospital. Also, both Babs and Springer have similar stories and interviews in their books....so there must be some truths to the stories. Most interviews, even the ones from her friends, all attest to the fact that she was strangely calm, and detached from the crime and grieving for her sons. Even if she snapped and killed them....where is her grief? It makes me wonder how dark her soul really is. Any ideas? What kind of a person can love and nurture children for 5 and 7(almost) years and ruthlessly gut them one day, and never grieve? :eek:

deandaniellws said:
Do yall put much weight on the nurses reports? The trial transcripts differ greatly with what was written on her charts in the hospital. Also, both Babs and Springer have similar stories and interviews in their books....so there must be some truths to the stories. Most interviews, even the ones from her friends, all attest to the fact that she was strangely calm, and detached from the crime and grieving for her sons. Even if she snapped and killed them....where is her grief? It makes me wonder how dark her soul really is. Any ideas? What kind of a person can love and nurture children for 5 and 7(almost) years and ruthlessly gut them one day, and never grieve? :eek:
That is exactly what I ask myself every single day. It drives me nuts that I can't know the answer to that.

I am not sure what to make of the nurse's reports, but I do believe they remembered her in a more harsh light than what they probably witnessed. However, I don't think they lied about anything. I think we can rely on what they say she said. It is their judgments on whether a tear is from sobs or just part of sniveling and whining, whether she was sad or just faking it that might be exaggerated because of their sour feelings for her so many months after the crime. You can view things in different lights, depending on your frame of mind, but it is hard to hear something that was not said. Esp when we have friends of hers and other witnesses quoting the same or similar statements.

One thing that stands out in my mind is that one of the nurses said that she held and comforted family members who were grieving harder than they ever saw Darlie do. That sounds very true to me. I don't think that is an exaggeration of what they saw and heard. It gives them a point of reference. They can compare how Darlie was acting to her own family, her mother and sisters. I do believe she was strangely detached, no matter what the notes say.

That brings me to wonder about one of the statements that a nurse was talking about. Darin was talking to the nurse and said that Darlie's screams woke him up. Darlie gave him a dirty look and said...No you did not! I thought that was funny. I agree with everyone else, this was not planned out well because they didn't even have their stories straight. Darlie always acted like Darin didn't have enough sense to come in out of the rain, always saying little snide things about him. Maybe that is why he puts her in charge of the witnessing of the "event". Remember, he failed that question about having taken part in planning a crime at his house on the night of the murders.

deandaniellws said:
That brings me to wonder about one of the statements that a nurse was talking about. Darin was talking to the nurse and said that Darlie's screams woke him up. Darlie gave him a dirty look and said...No you did not! I thought that was funny. I agree with everyone else, this was not planned out well because they didn't even have their stories straight. Darlie always acted like Darin didn't have enough sense to come in out of the rain, always saying little snide things about him. Maybe that is why he puts her in charge of the witnessing of the "event". Remember, he failed that question about having taken part in planning a crime at his house on the night of the murders.
Hmm....don't know. But that scene you describe above happened when Darin told family and friends that he came downstairs as soon as he heard Darlie's screams and Darlie was said to have snapped, "No, you didn't!" I have never been able to figure out what that was about but it is one of the things that stands out in my mind. If he was downstairs and they just made up the story about her screams waking him, why would she snap at him? If he didn't come down quick enough, why would she be angry with him unless she knew he was not asleep? Maybe it has something to do with how long she bled. Maybe she thinks he took his time doing something that caused her to almost bleed to death. Of course, she was never under that threat but Darlie is dramatic. There is something about that exchange though that keeps me thinking.

Goody said:
Hmm....don't know. But that scene you describe above happened when Darin told family and friends that he came downstairs as soon as he heard Darlie's screams and Darlie was said to have snapped, "No, you didn't!" I have never been able to figure out what that was about but it is one of the things that stands out in my mind. If he was downstairs and they just made up the story about her screams waking him, why would she snap at him? If he didn't come down quick enough, why would she be angry with him unless she knew he was not asleep? Maybe it has something to do with how long she bled. Maybe she thinks he took his time doing something that caused her to almost bleed to death. Of course, she was never under that threat but Darlie is dramatic. There is something about that exchange though that keeps me thinking.
I read it from two different sources that it was when she was in the hospital. Maybe he said it twice? But, the fact that Darlie jumped on him for saying it means it was not in the "script" they had decided on together.:D

deandaniellws said:
I read it from two different sources that it was when she was in the hospital. Maybe he said it twice? But, the fact that Darlie jumped on him for saying it means it was not in the "script" they had decided on together.:D
I can't remember if it was in the transcript but I think it was. I think one of the nurses overheard it. It was on the first day when she was surrounded by family and friends and they (D&D) were telling them what had happened. Not saying it was not in a book or even two. Could have been but I think they were quoting the testimony.

Does it suggest he slipped away from the script they'd planned? Maybe. It suggests something, that is for sure. Could be what they agreed to say or not, but they've always said that Darin came right downstairs so I don't understand why it would bother her when he said it at the hospital. I gotta feeling that something is amiss between them at that point though. Can't argue that point. But what?

I was thinking last night that Darin seemed to be pretty consistent in telling about trying to give CPR to Devon, the technical part not the emotional part. Trying to hold the wounds closed, air coming out and blood splattering all over him (Darin).

Ya'll correct me if I'm wrong.

And from reading the trascripts it seems like Darlie was consistent in carrying over the "Who would do this" and the "You could have gotten some prints off the knife" from the 911 tapes to the hospital stay.

I've alway thought the emphasis on "Who would do this" was weird. The emphasis should have been on saving the boys, the police would take care of the "who", and she shouldn't have been worrying about "who" until later on when helping the police investigate.

justice2 said:
I was thinking last night that Darin seemed to be pretty consistent in telling about trying to give CPR to Devon, the technical part not the emotional part. Trying to hold the wounds closed, air coming out and blood splattering all over him (Darin).

Ya'll correct me if I'm wrong.
Darin has been consistent in his story almost to the letter except in areas that he changed in an abvious attempt to help Darlie. That doesn't make him "innocent" in my eyes but just someone who had to account for a very brief period of time about basically no movement in the crime scene. His story is basically, I came downstairs, I was shocked, I didn't see Damon, I gave CPR to Devon and listened to Darlie tell 911 what happened, I checked Damon's pulse once and didn't get any, and minutes later I left the crime scene to get my friends across the street. He even denies meeting the first police officer in the front yard even though the neighbor witnessed it.

Darlie, on the other hand, left all kinds of blood evidence and moved all over the crime scene, making it easier to trip her up. That is why they invented the "we slept thru it" story, to help eliminate some of those areas. Later Darlie's "sleep" was changed to TA. It helped but didn't protect her from the time period after she supposedly became aware of her surroundings. I have always wondered if it was by design that Darin was so protected by the crime scene or really just the way things panned out as they want us to believe. If it is the former, I wonder how long Darlie is going to hold the bag before she wises up and spills the beans. I think I would have done it already, appeal or no appeal.

justice2 said:
And from reading the trascripts it seems like Darlie was consistent in carrying over the "Who would do this" and the "You could have gotten some prints off the knife" from the 911 tapes to the hospital stay.

I've alway thought the emphasis on "Who would do this" was weird. The emphasis should have been on saving the boys, the police would take care of the "who", and she shouldn't have been worrying about "who" until later on when helping the police investigate.
My sentiments exactly. You would think at that point she would have been almost shell shocked by what was unfolding in front of her, esp if she had no recall of the actual attack. I remember when I woke up out of drug induced coma, I was confused for days, but esp in the first hour or so as I tried to comprehend how I got from the ambulance headed for one hospital to the ICU in a completely different hospital. When people tried to tell me nearly two weeks had passed, it made no sense to me. How could that be when I remembered so clearly being in the ambulance just yesterday?

You would think something like that would happen to someone suffering from TA waking up into total chaos and mind shattering tragedy. How does one comprehend so quickly what is going on in front of them if all they can remember is going to sleep in a quiet house just a little while ago? Let alone be focused and alert enough to think about fingerprints and who caused it all. Set aside normal concerns for the kids, she thought SHE was dying. Yet she had to make sure everyone understood that SHE had messed up the evidence on the murder weapon, both at the crime scene and at the hospital. She might as well have said, "Don't waste your time looking for prints, guys. I already messed them up. What a goof up I am!!" And they wonder why police were suspicious of her. :waitasec:

I've been working on counting the number of times 'something' is stated by D or D from the 16 stories thread.

What's chilling to me is the number of times it was stated that Damon said "Mommy".

Marie said:
I've been working on counting the number of times 'something' is stated by D or D from the 16 stories thread.

What's chilling to me is the number of times it was stated that Damon said "Mommy".
How many times did you find it?

Goody said:
How many times did you find it?
I haven't finished yet - only through story 7. But I found the "Mommy" 4 times in those 1st 7. That, combined with the number of times it's stated that Darli felt Damon touch her and/or he followed her, to me points to something happening between Darli & Damon that really made a deep impression on Darli. Not sure if I'm explaining this right, but I think that this means that somewhere in her stories is a truth about the interaction between Darli & Damon (just not in the context that she's stating).

Of course I still need to finish and this may end up being nothing.

I think there was a thread about Darin hearing Darlie say "Devon, Devon, Devon" right after the glass breaking. I think it was discussed that that was also true just not in the right place (or context as you said I think) too.

Darlie said Oh My God on the 911 tape a whole bunch; if you see that anywhere else let us know.

justice2 said:
I think there was a thread about Darin hearing Darlie say "Devon, Devon, Devon" right after the glass breaking. I think it was discussed that that was also true just not in the right place (or context as you said I think) too.

Darlie said Oh My God on the 911 tape a whole bunch; if you see that anywhere else let us know.
Yes. Some people think Darin's description of Darlie screaming "Devon, Devon, Devon" rings true. Some also think his description of seeing his wallet on the bedroom floor rings true. I am not so sure. Darin himself claims the police tested noise and he could not have heard it in the bedroom,but if that is true how Darlie wake him up, how did he hear glass breaking?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cabinsleuth
Back