Parent had to choose which children to save

Anngelique

Reaction score
A house fire took the lives of 3 young boys a couple miles from my home. I do daycare for a Mom who works for 911. She said the fire started about 4 AM while everyone was asleep. When the Dad was on the phone with 911 he made the statement the fire was so hot he wouldn't be able to get in both rooms with the children. One room had the boys and one room had the girls. He could not reach them from inside so he had to go outside and try to save them from their windows. He had to make the toughest decision of his life... which window to open first. He decided to get the girls first. The 8 yr old girl and 18 month old girl survived. One of the boys was rescued and taken to the hospital but later died there. Two boys never made it out. They said the fire was so hot it melted the front door.

I can't believe having to make a decision like that. I drove by the house yesterday and cried. There is nothing left.

http://www.katu.com/stories/82756.html

OMG.... how awful. I hope and pray I'm never in a situation like that. I can't imagine what the poor man feels at this point. Truly heartbreaking.

:( How terrible. I cannot even imagine being in that situation and having to choose between my kids. That poor family.

Oh my God, how will that poor man ever live with himself? Can you imagine the pain he must be feeling, the guilt, the mental anguish, the "what ifs" going through his mind? I bear the bruden of guilt everyday for saying little things to my boyfriend, worrying about whether or not I hurt his feelings or little things like that that are so minor ... can you just imagine? I mean, the sheer horror of thinking your child is inside burning to death, screaming, crying and fighting for life? I know I am seeming morbid here but this is all running through my mind as I am trying to even fathom one ounce of what he must me feeling and I can not imagine. If I had to walk even half a mlie in his shoes, I would fall to the ground. I pray for that poor man and his family. How hard he must've tried. :(

He is still in intensive care... he is expected to survive but he is pretty burned. He truly did try as did a neighbor. You can hear the 911 call at the link.

Anngelique said:
He is still in intensive care... he is expected to survive but he is pretty burned. He truly did try as did a neighbor. You can hear the 911 call at the link.
If he manages to survive, then he is mighty strong, but I can imagine his spirit is pretty wounded, as is his mind and body.

Here is a picture of the father and the oldest daughter. There is a much more detailed story as well. It seems the 3 year old was sleeping with him and he didn't know it. He woke up to smell smoke and opened the door and flames shot him in the face. He jumped out the window leaving the 3 year old son in his bed without even knowing it. The story just gets worse and worse. It seems their gas fireplace was red flagged by the gas company and was supposed to be repaired... this might be a huge lawsuit against the landlord. But all the money in the world won't bring those 3 children back. This is heart wrenching.

http://159.54.226.83/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060125/NEWS/601250331

Anngelique said:
Here is a picture of the father and the oldest daughter. There is a much more detailed story as well. It seems the 3 year old was sleeping with him and he didn't know it. He woke up to smell smoke and opened the door and flames shot him in the face. He jumped out the window leaving the 3 year old son in his bed without even knowing it. The story just gets worse and worse. It seems their gas fireplace was red flagged by the gas company and was supposed to be repaired... this might be a huge lawsuit against the landlord. But all the money in the world won't bring those 3 children back. This is heart wrenching.

http://159.54.226.83/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060125/NEWS/601250331

My 5 yr old climbs into bed with my hubby and I all the time. We never know until we wake up in the morning. This is a terrible, heartbreaking story. That poor father. He really is a hero though, for saving some of his children. If not for him getting the girls out they all would have died.

This is so heartbreaking.
I'm going to make a donation at my local Washington Mutual. (I'm in Calif.) I 'm not able to give much but every donation will help and the family will be helped just by knowing people from all over care.

This is beyond heartbreaking. I do not think I could choose which child to save. I would rather die (as terrible at that may seem). I feel horrible for that poor man.

Oh my... :( :( :( :( :( how sad... I feel for the parents...prayers are very much needed here.. I will remember this family...

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam
Back