TX TX - Misty, 15, & Crystal Ortega, 13, Mixton, 8 Aug 1995

dkeene8

Reaction score
hi everyone~
i've been lurking here since laci went missing and have been intrigued by the number of missing and unidentified cold cases that are out there. i have spent many hours just searching and maybe by chance matching up a case and giving a family the closure it needs. how bout someone giving their opinion on the following 2 cases and tell me what you think. the stats are very close, and the resemblance to me looks very similar. caution: the unidentified photo is very graphic.
http://www.doenetwork.us/cases/images/CLOrtega.jpg
http://www.find-missing-children.org-images-000235u1.jpg
i hope i posted these links correctly.

dkeene8 you posted the links to the photos, but not the links to the web pages. Unfortunately the missing kids link didn't work....

Can you report the web sites?

not sure how to post the links for these, will work on again tomorrow.

thanks

Do exactly what you did when you posted the links for the photos.

EXCEPT

go to the web address area in you browser and copy that link.

I believe you wanted us to take a look at Crystal Lynn Ortega
http://www.missingkids.com/missingkids/servlet/PubCaseSearchServlet?act=viewChildDetail&caseNum=812788&orgPrefix=NCMC&seqNum=1&caseLang=en_US&searchLang=en_US

[font=arial,verdana,geneva,lucida][size=-1]http://www.doenetwork.us/cases/1338dftx.html[/size][/font]

Left: Ortega, circa 1995; Right: Age-Progressed to age 22 (circa 2004)

Crystal Lynn Ortega
Missing since August 8, 1995 from Mixon, Cherokee County, Texas.
Classification: Endangered Missing

Vital Statistics

* Date Of Birth: September 22, 1981
* Age at Time of Disappearance: 13 years old
* Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5'4" (163 cm); 130 lbs (59 kg)
* Distinguishing Characteristics: White female. Brown hair; brown eyes.
* Marks: She may be wearing contacts or glasses.

Circumstances of Disappearance
Ortega was last seen in Mixon, TX on August 8, 1995. She is missing with her sister Misty

Problem is I don't know what Jane Doe you wanted us to look at. If the photo is graphic, just past the link so that people will know where to go to see it (doesn't need to be displayed)

P.S. If the photos are not displayed on your computer go up to the upper left hand corner of the screen to "User CP" and turn the option on (if you want to that is).

Trying to help :)

thanks ponderingthings for trying to help. i still could not get the other link posted, so i just decided to email the info to usamissingkids. if you'd still like to see go to www.find-missing-children.org , she was the uid found in 1995 in new britian, connecticut. her ncic number is u-874069709.

donna:)

thank you fourboys for posting the link. it was driving me crazy, could not get it right! did you by any chance look at both photos to compare?

it's been forwarded to the doenetwork.
thanks for your help :)

This is the Doe Network's page for the same Jane Doe. The graphics are not as difficult to see.

http://www.doenetwork.us/cases/175ufct.html

175UFCT.jpg
CLOrtega.jpg
175UFCT1.jpg

Jane Doe on left and right, Crystal in Center.

Unidentified White / Hispanic Female

* Located on September 28, 1995 in New Britain, Hartford County, Connecticut
* Cause of death was homicide

Vital Statistics

* Estimated age: 17 - 20 years old
* Approximate Height and Weight: 5'3"; 116 lbs.
* Distinguishing Characteristics: Brown hair; brown eyes. She had a pierced navel with a silver navel ring and pierced ears.
* Clothing: She was wearing a brown/beige Croquet brand striped pullover shirt, size small; white Union Bay brand bibbed overalls, size small; white athletic socks; tan LA Gear brand shoes, size 6 1/2; a maroon bra; a Gitano brand wristwatch; a gold herringbone necklace; and a ring with a pink stone.

175UFCTJewelry.jpg

Victim's Jewelry

Case History
The victim was located near Routes 84 and 9, south of Hartford, CT. Body was wrapped within 2 sleeping bags and discarded near a shopping center. She was killed by a single gunshot to the head. An autopsy determined that she had not been dead for very long before she was found. Police believe she was killed elsewhere, then dumped behind the plaza, which is a few hundred yards from Route 9, a busy state highway that runs from West Hartford to Old Saybrook.

Possible match:

1. Crystal went missing in August 1995, Jane Doe was found in Sept. 1995.
2. The sketch of Jane Doe matches Crystal almost exactly... not so much the composite (my opinion) but there are distinct resemblences.
3. Crystal was 13 yrs old, Jane Doe is estimated to be 17-20. This is a DISCREPANCY but given the recent news stories where authorities have over estimated the age of young girls it could be an error.
4. Crystal was 5'4", Jane Doe is estimated to be 5'3"-that's a match.
5. Crystal was 130lbs when she went missing, Jane Doe was 116lbs (to me this is very close.
6. Both are white, have brown hair and brown eyes.
7. Crystal went missing from Texas, Jane Doe was found in Conneticut. Although this is a great distance, she would have had over a month to get there. Also since Jane Doe was found on the side of a hwy is suggests the possibility she was travelling (although she could have been dumped).

***There is no mention of jewellery, or any piercings, so can't match to that. I'm very concerned because if this IS Crystal she went missing with her sister Misty.... where is Misty?

I'm very glad that you have submitted this to the Doe Network and the authorities. In my opinion its a very good possible match.

Makes me think maybe we should be checking, around the same time period, on the East Coast, for Misty, her sister. The girls went missing together:
http://www.doenetwork.us/cases/1339dftx.html
MDOrtega.jpg

thanks pondering for posting all the particulars concerning both girls. i thought it all was very close also, and yes, i have wondered about the sister, misty. it's very possible that they ran away together, caught a ride up north, then split up say for instance to work. i wonder with the emails i sent, would they reply and at least let me know it was checked out?

d :)

Sometimes you will get an email back confirming that your tip has been received. Sometimes you don't even get that!

I've had a few officers want to discuss how I found the information I supplied. I've even had a reporter contact me about a pending case (their story is what tweaked me to go searching for possible matches). Sometimes its hard to explain my search patterns/thoughts
crazy1.gif
also, if I have any information I usually post all that I've uncovered, so there isn't much more to say. Basically most just want to make sure someone didn't "tell" me about the info.

When I submit I usually provide a link to the forum where I've posted the information. That way they have access to updates, etc., should they decide to follow up.

I have also received an email in one case where my suggestion was previously ruled out (it took about 3 weeks though).

I think contact is the exception, not the rule. Most of the time the email, letter, phone conversation seems to go into a black hole and you are left wondering if anyone ever looked at it! I figure if I really think I've got something strong, then if I haven't heard back in a fair time delay, then I will follow up using another form of communication (email versus letter for example).

I'd say, if you are comfortable, give them a call in about a month if you haven't heard anything.

P.S. Sometimes submitting tips via Crime Stoppers, or tv shows like America's Most Wanted is a good idea as they will follow up.

Great sluething dkeene8
I think it is a very good match to Misty ,the age fits better. It certainly looks like her .I hope they contact you soon.

Although the age fits better for Misty, the stats are way off. Misty was way taller and had hazel eyes (as well as other differences).

I was reading the thread and I tried all of the links but they did not get me anywhere. I have looked at so many unidentified victim photo's and have not seen a match yet. The police have also shown our family different photo's but we have been able to rule them all out because of various things. As of today, June 27, 2010, there has been no closure in this case. They disappeared in 1995 and are still missing but will never be forgotten by those of us who love them. I have seen the age progression pictures and would love the chance to see first hand how accurate they are. I do not know that we will ever get that chance, but I have to keep hoping. Thank you all for posting about my girls.

Bump

Crystal and Misty have been gone 15 years today. Come home soon.

Bump...

Two sisters missing...there has got to be some answers out there for their family...

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BeachyTee
Back