961 users online (203 members and 758 guests)  


Websleuths News


Page 19 of 21 FirstFirst ... 9 17 18 19 20 21 LastLast
Results 271 to 285 of 307
  1. #271
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    46,940
    Quote Originally Posted by Cryptic View Post
    And that may go double in Europe.

    An article on CNN today detailed how European teams especially don't like prima donnas and player drama. This player and his father seem to thrive off of both. The article also mentioned that like Chinese teams, European teams can only recruit so many players from the U.S. and are unlikely to risk giving a slot to an unproven athlete.

    I can understand his feelings and his decision.

    In other professions, an "indefinite suspension" is the bueracratic way of saying "permanently fired". This may, or may not be the case with UCLA athletic programs. If it is not the case, then this should be communicated clearly to Li Angelo.

    In short, I can see LiAngelo coming to the conclusion that he is not going to play ball for UCLA again. I would enroll in another state college in the LA area- even a small one, then join the basketball team as a drama free, humble "walk on". I don't know if it is possible to do this mid season or not.
    If LiAngelo was on his own, I could see him doing a walk on thing somewhere, like Cal State, and working his way back. But as long as he is sticking by his father, that ain't going to happen.

    His father already said that he has no interest in his son getting a college education. He doesn't need an education, all he needs to do is know how to play Ball. He honestly said that on live tv:

    http://thebiglead.com/2017/12/05/lav...l-cnn-video-2/

    The conversation again centered on what happened in China with LiAngelo’s shoplifting, and eventually got to this exchange about the education that he is foregoing by leaving school:

    Cuomo: You worried about compromising his future? UCLA is a great ticket for him it’s a great education.

    Ball: We’re going FORWARD with his future. With a great education of what? Now, if my boy wanted to be the smartest guy in the room, YES! With UCLA we’d have to wait back and say, ‘Wow.’ But to be the world’s greatest basketball player, man, it’s not rocket scientists. Either you got the talent or you don’t.



    So he takes his son away from a 4 year scholarship at a great University, and just decides he doesnt need an education at all now. Just needs to go play professional ball in China or Italy,..." it's not rocket scientists..."
    “Every day that they don’t find something is good for me.“ Billie Dunn

  2. #272
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    3,771
    OMG, seriously a parent saying his child does not need an education, WOW! Those poor kids! How sad!

  3. #273
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    3,771
    "it's not rocket scientists" well someone needs an education.

  4. #274
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    life elevated
    Posts
    1,344
    Ball family take another bad bounce.

    Ok I'm sorry I couldn't help it

    Managers aren't interested.

    https://br.app.link/25owhrUVFE?$deeplink_path=article/bleacherreport.com/articles/2747968-this-isnt-entertainment-basketball-do-ball-brothers-have-a-future-overseas&$fallback_url=http://syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/2747968-this-isnt-entertainment-basketball-do-ball-brothers-have-a-future-overseas.amp.html

  5. #275
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    759
    Quote Originally Posted by katydid23 View Post
    So he takes his son away from a 4 year scholarship at a great University, and just decides he doesnt need an education at all now.
    The scholarship is probably contingent on his son playing basketball. I don't know if somebody with an indefinite suspension would be allowed to keep the scholarship past the current semester.

    My general understanding is that basketball is especially ruthless in regards to being an active player or not due to the small number of people on each team. Thus, losing three players is a big impact and immediate replacements must be found. This could increase the chances of the scholarships being given to other deserving athletes in the spring.

    The father rejecting all future education is foolish. Given his son's demonstrated ability as a Division I basketball scholarship winner, allowing basket ball to weigh heavily in future educational choices would be understandable.

    In the end, Li Angelo's chances of being picked up by a relatively big name team in Asia or Europe are small simply because he has not had time to establish a track record at the Division I college level. Mixed with a dose of humility, Cal State for both education and well, of course basketball in the spring would be his best choice.
    Last edited by Cryptic; 12-08-2017 at 11:28 AM.

  6. #276
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    3,616
    Quote Originally Posted by katydid23 View Post
    If LiAngelo was on his own, I could see him doing a walk on thing somewhere, like Cal State, and working his way back. But as long as he is sticking by his father, that ain't going to happen.

    His father already said that he has no interest in his son getting a college education. He doesn't need an education, all he needs to do is know how to play Ball. He honestly said that on live tv:

    http://thebiglead.com/2017/12/05/lav...l-cnn-video-2/

    The conversation again centered on what happened in China with LiAngelo’s shoplifting, and eventually got to this exchange about the education that he is foregoing by leaving school:

    Cuomo: You worried about compromising his future? UCLA is a great ticket for him it’s a great education.

    Ball: We’re going FORWARD with his future. With a great education of what? Now, if my boy wanted to be the smartest guy in the room, YES! With UCLA we’d have to wait back and say, ‘Wow.’ But to be the world’s greatest basketball player, man, it’s not rocket scientists. Either you got the talent or you don’t.



    So he takes his son away from a 4 year scholarship at a great University, and just decides he doesnt need an education at all now. Just needs to go play professional ball in China or Italy,..." it's not rocket scientists..."
    That father apparently doesn't realize his flashy ego will not be welcome in China.

    And if his kids are the best then why aren't they going to play for the NBA?

  7. #277
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    21,814
    Quote Originally Posted by MzOpinion8d View Post
    That father apparently doesn't realize his flashy ego will not be welcome in China.

    And if his kids are the best then why aren't they going to play for the NBA?
    I'm sure China is well aware of Father Ball.

    The oldest son played for UCLA his freshman year and was drafted by the LA Lakers. I believe he is in his first year with the Lakers. He did not complete his 4 year scholarship and dropped out to join the NBA.

    Gelo (the admitted thief in China) was in his freshman year at UCLA when he was benched. He cannot play for the NBA because a player must either be out of high school or college 1 year and be 19 years old.

    The youngest (I forgot his name) scored over 90 points in a high school game last season and his father's head got so big that he pulled his son from school and is training him at home.

    LaVar, the father, is looking for an overseas team for both the youngest and Gelo until the NBA draft in June 2018.

    I'm reading way too much about this family and the NBA and need to stop.

  8. #278
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    On the sunny shores of I-65
    Posts
    2,253
    The REAL loser here is the kid that didn't get the UCLA scholarship that was given to the shoplifter.

    what the father seems to not recognize is one car accident/ blown out ACL / medical diagnosis- and how is your kid going to support himself in adulthood?
    Six-year-old Shannon Sherrill disappeared from her front yard in Thorntown, Indiana in October, 1986. Someone knows where she is......

    https://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...annon+sherrill

  9. #279
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    759
    Quote Originally Posted by JerseyGirl View Post
    LaVar, the father, is looking for an overseas team for both the youngest and Gelo until the NBA draft in June 2018.
    And over seas teams, though probably willing to put up with drama in players of demonstrated ability, wont take players with out proven track records at the higher levels. The NBA teams would also want to see demonstrated playing ability at the higher levels before making a draft selection.

    In the end, though dazzling performances at the high school level may give indications of professional level skills, the quality of the opposition can vary greatly. Performances can be far different in environments where everybody is highly skilled.

  10. #280
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    21,814
    In checking up on the hoodlums:

    LiAngelo Ball said he was told by UCLA to thank President Donald Trump following his return home from China. Ball said UCLA officials had him add a mention of Trump to the statement he had prepared.

    "If they didn't tell me to do it, it wouldn't have been in there," Ball said regarding Trump.

    http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...e-after-arrest


  11. #281
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    21,814
    LiAngelo Ball and LaMelo Ball sign with Lithuanian basketball team, Vytautas Prienai

    The two brothers will travel to Lithuania in the first week of January and have some family with them. The two brothers are in New York at the moment. Lonzo and the Lakers will play the Knicks on Tuesday. All three and their father, LaVar, participated in a pop-up shop in Manhattan on Sunday, a day the Lakers had off. Thousands of people lined up to buy merchandise and get autographs and photographs with the family.

    http://www.latimes.com/sports/nba/la...211-story.html

  12. #282
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    46,940
    Quote Originally Posted by JerseyGirl View Post
    In checking up on the hoodlums:

    LiAngelo Ball said he was told by UCLA to thank President Donald Trump following his return home from China. Ball said UCLA officials had him add a mention of Trump to the statement he had prepared.

    "If they didn't tell me to do it, it wouldn't have been in there," Ball said regarding Trump.

    http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...e-after-arrest
    from link:
    On Monday, LiAngelo and younger brother LaMelo Ball each agreed to one-year deals with Lithuanian professional club Prienu Vytautas, per ESPN's Adrian Wojnarowski and Jonathan Givony.




    hahahahahaha...they are playing in Lithuania?
    “Every day that they don’t find something is good for me.“ Billie Dunn

  13. #283
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    21,814
    Quote Originally Posted by katydid23 View Post
    from link:
    On Monday, LiAngelo and younger brother LaMelo Ball each agreed to one-year deals with Lithuanian professional club Prienu Vytautas, per ESPN's Adrian Wojnarowski and Jonathan Givony.




    hahahahahaha...they are playing in Lithuania?
    hahaha, let's see how well this will turn out:

    It is not uncommon for younger teenagers such as LaMelo Ball to sign with professional basketball or soccer organizations in Europe, but for his family, the task was finding a club that would want to take on the challenge of finding playing time for both brothers while dealing with the inevitable antics of their outspoken father. At the highest levels in Europe, basketball is highly competitive and coaches are vying for wins and job security, but Vytautas, which is based in a town of about 10,000 people, is reportedly struggling to attract fans and could use the publicity the Balls likely will bring.

    In the meantime, at least for the first half of next year, the Ball brothers will undoubtedly experience some culture shock, particularly as the coach of Vytautas reportedly does not speak English. The club has rarely had Americans on its roster, let alone Los Angeles-based sports-world celebrities whose father has recently been immersed in a feud with President Trump.

    https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.e52600409e33

  14. #284
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    46,940
    BC Prienai (Lithuanian: Krepšinio klubas Prienai), also known by the sponsor name BC Vytautas, is a professional basketball club based in Prienai and more recently taking up Birštonas. They play domestically in Lithuanian Basketball League and also compete in the Baltic Basketball League every year. During the 2008–09 season, then called Rūdupis they became the champion of the NKL and won the challenge match for a slot in the LKL. In their debut LKL season Rūdupis took seventh place, while next two seasons brought BC Prienai two bronze LKL medals. BC Prienai played in EuroCup 2011–12 with moderate success; the team managed to win 3 games out of 6, but nonetheless failed to qualify for the next stage. More recently, the team has become a strong competitor in domestic tournaments, more than once upsetting teams such as Žalgiris Kaunas and Lietuvos rytas Vilnius.


    from wiki ^^^^


    https://www.sbnation.com/2017/12/11/...-liangelo-ball



    What we know about the Lithuanian team that just signed LaMelo and LiAngelo Ball


    Does Prienu Vytautas regularly employ Americans?
    No, the only American employed by the club spent only a month with them.

    Replying to @DraftExpress
    Prienu Vytautas has only had one American player on their roster in the past decade, Brad Tinsley, who departed after a month of action, according to my research. The Balls would likely be faced with a major culture shock in Prienai, a small village of around 10,000 people.



    Doesn’t really make sense at all. Same coach there is the one who told me during training camp (through translator) he wouldn’t play me much my rookie year at Rytas because he didn’t speak English.


    Is their coach really like LaVar Ball?
    Prienu Vytautas is coached by 50-year-old Virginijus Seskus, who is reportedly a hard-nosed, high-energy yeller from the sidelines who reminds some pundits of LaVar Ball himself.

    Replying to @DraftExpress
    Virginijus Seskus, coach of Prienu Vytautas, who is considering signing LiAngelo and LaMelo Ball, has been described to me as "the LaVar Ball of Lithuania". Very high energy guy apparently. Loves to get technical fouls. They'll get along great, despite him speaking no english.

    What’s the best case scenario for the Balls?
    This doesn’t seem like a great situation for them. LiAngelo Ball is a non-prospect who should be playing at a mid-major while LaMelo Ball needs more traditional development than sparse minutes against professionals who are 10 years older than him. Maybe the harsher environment will reign him in and force him to develop his playmaking skills.

    That said, if the Balls flame out and are headed back to the states in just a few months, don’t say we didn’t warn you.

    https://www.sbnation.com/2017/12/11/...-liangelo-ball
    “Every day that they don’t find something is good for me.“ Billie Dunn

  15. #285
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    3,771
    Since the Ball kids don’t need no education they should pick up the language real quick, after all it aint rocket scientists. They’ll do just fine, and look at all that money they’ll be earning.

Page 19 of 21 FirstFirst ... 9 17 18 19 20 21 LastLast


Similar Threads

  1. Sean 'Diddy' Combs arrested at UCLA
    By zwiebel in forum Celebrity and Entertainment News
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 08-14-2015, 03:54 AM
  2. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-20-2014, 10:22 PM
  3. China - Knife-wielding man stabs 28 children, 3 adults at kindergarten in China
    By jnTexas in forum Rampage Killings and Terrorist Attacks
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-30-2010, 12:44 PM