Laura Babcock Murder Trial 11.17.17 - Day 18

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sillybilly

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
This is the Babcock murder trial discussion thread.

A few general reminders about the trial:

Any testimony that might remain under Publication Ban, and/or any courtroom discussion that takes place when the jury is not present, is strictly off-limits.

Only testimony that is published through MSM reporting (newspaper articles, tweets, tv) is allowed. Provide a source link, and keep discussion focused on testimony as it becomes public knowledge.

The magnificent principle of “innocent until proven guilty” is for the court room … it is not required that the general public / Websleuths members adhere to that principle. Members are allowed to discuss, speculate, theorize, and judge according to opinions they develop from following the specifics of the case.

A few general reminders from Websleuths TOS aka The Rules.

At all times, remain VICTIM FRIENDLY. No bashing or passing judgment on the victim or family.

There is ZERO TOLERANCE for snarky or disrespectful posts. Don’t expect an explanation … you will find your post has simply disappeared, or that you can no longer post.

There is to be NO name calling or name variations, not even of the accused.

BICKERING between members is not allowed. If you disagree, that's fine, say so and move past the post. If a post is offensive, alert it and let the Mods review it. If you respond to the post, both the offensive post AND yours will be removed and may result in other consequences.

Alert on a post and move on without discussing it, and don't question the decisions of our Mods/Admin or Owner. Also do not expect personalized responses with explanations about a particular decision.

Do not abuse the WS Alert feature. Abuse includes, but is not limited to:
• Overuse of the alert system
• Repeatedly alerting on the same poster
• Demanding a specific outcome
• Alerting on the same post more than once

Paywall Sites

Under copyright law, members who read information at a paid subscription site are NOT legally allowed to bring information obtained through those accounts over to Websleuths or pass the information to a third party to post the information here. All information posted at Websleuths about the trial must be obtained through MSM or MSM social media (i.e. Twitter, Facebook) and linked.

If you have any questions, use the Alert feature or send a PM and we will be happy to assist.

:tyou:

:rose: Remembering Laura Babcock and waiting for Justice :rose:

1297999253571_ORIGINAL.jpg

link

You are not forgotten ... Rest peacefully, Laura
:rose: :rose:

There was no plan to start pet cremation business, Dellen Millard's uncle tells murder trial
By Shannon Martin, CBC News Nov 16, 2017

robert-burns-sketch-babcock.jpg

A rare circumstance in court as accused killer Dellen Millard, who is acting as his own lawyer, cross-examines his uncle, Robert Burns. (Pam Davies/CBC )

Accused killer Dellen Millard's uncle vehemently tried to dispel any notion he planned to go into the pet cremation business with his nephew, during his extremely tense and at times angry testimony at the Laura Babcock murder trial in Toronto this afternoon.

Millard, 32, is acting as his own lawyer, and has pleaded not guilty to first-degree murder in Ontario Superior Court. His former friend and co-accused Mark Smich, 30, of Oakville, Ont. has also pleaded not guilty.

"Can you imagine driving up to a strip mall to a vet clinic, carting out cadavers and lighting up an incinerator, with embers flying out right there in the parking lot, and then travelling down Main Street to the next clinic?" said Robert Burns, a veterinarian in Woodbridge, Ont., whose sister is Millard's mother.

[...]

Judge cautions uncle

Justice Michael Code interrupted Burns several times during his testimony, urging him to refrain from offering his personal opinion on his nephew — who he clearly dislikes.

At times Burns appeared to be almost shaking as he sat in the witness box.

Burns told the jury he "never bothered to categorize the useless events in [Millard's] life" adding that he worked to "disentangle" his family from his nephew. The two barely communicated after some kind of family rift in 2002.

"I just remember the useless dribble that came from his mouth," Burns told the court.

Laura Babcock trial: Street language expert to testify
CBC News Nov 17, 2017

A Toronto police detective who is an expert in street language will testify on Friday as the murder trial of Dellen Millard and Mark Smich wraps up its fourth week.

Det. Gavin Jansz has been a police officer for more than 20 years and, according to Crown attorney Jill Cameron, is an expert in analysis and interpretation in codified language and urban street language.

He analyzed texts between Dellen Millard and Mark Smich — who are both on trial for first-degree murder in the death of Laura Babcock — and a man identified as Isho.

CBC Live Blog

Live Blog Mobile

The trial resumes in Ontario Superior Court in Toronto at 10 a.m. ET.

Good morning, we're about to get underway at the Laura Babcock murder trail.

We'll start with cross-examination of a Toronto police detective who analyzed text messages between Millard, Smich, and a man identified as Isho.
by Shannon Martin 10:04 AM

Thanks in advance to those that can help with the tweets :)

Dont know how to copy Lisa's name as I'm on mobile but here she is:

Back for the end of week 5 of #LauraBabcock murder trial. Hearing some legal arguments before the jury comes in. Tweets here during testimony and full wrap 6pm @CHCHNews

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Legal discussions underway, I'll start once the jury arrives. Stand by!
by Shannon Martin 10:12 AM

Legal Arguments to start the day, thinking it concerns MM testimony?

I can do the live blog but evidently can't seem to get the tweets right if someone else could help with that?

Lisa Hepfner:

Jury is here for #LauraBabcock murder trial. Judge tells them this trial will not sit on Monday. Next week "we anticipate" the crown will close its case, he says. "We're definitely on schedule, and an expedited schedule."

Officer Janz is up for cross examination by #Millard, who has brought text messages to the screen, which seem to be about buying a gun. Janz agrees that was his assumption about the talk of the .32. #LauraBabcock

Lisa Hepfner

Messages between #Smich, #Millard and Isho are from July 1st. They were provided to the Det. Jansz for analysis. Jansz is explaining some street lingo

"Want to play a ball?" is in one msg. #Millard asks if Jansz thinks that means cocaine, who says he needs more context to decide about a conversation. "To me, play a ball means play a ball like basketball." But if there were more references, like "white," he'd consider drugs

Nov 17 2017 10:29 AM

The jury is here and Dellen Millard begins his cross-examination of Det. Jansz.

The text messages Det. Janz looked at are between, Millard, Smich, and a man so far only identified as Isho.

Millard asks about Det. Jansz work experience, he repeats what we heard yesterday -- he's taken part in many investigations, involving guns, drugs, and other criminal activity.

Millard shows the court a text from Isho: "you around later tonight? want to play ball?"

Millard asks, does "ball" refer to cocaine?

Det. Jansz says looking at one message, he can't tell. He usually analyzes a number of texts. If there is repeated references, and other cocaine references, "ball" could mean cocaine.*

"Based on one text message alone I cannot say one way or another if it's a reference to cocaine, I need to see further text messages."

Shannon Martin

Lisa Hepfner

Jansz says a lot of the conversation he examined seemed to be about guns. #Millard abruptly tells him to check his notes to see if he got the "ball" message. He does, and did. #LauraBabcock

A "girl" could be a reference to guns, and "white ladies" could be a reference to cocaine, Jansz agrees. #Millard cross is done. Dungey up now for #Smich. "You're also an expert in hip hop." Officer hasn't been qualified but does study hip hop. "It's a genre of music."

Dungey wonders if hip hop started in the inner city as a reaction to violence. Jansz says there's a lot more to it. They tell a story about their lives, he says. #LauraBabcock

Nov 17 2017 10:33 AM

Millard concludes.

Mark Smich's lawyer Thomas Dungey has some questions today.

"Been a long time," he says. The two have met at other trials.

Dungey asks if Det. Jansz is an expert in hip hop. He says not as much as deciphering street slang, but he knows hip hop from "going back to my young days listening to Run DMC."

That gets a laugh from the courtroom.

Shannon Martin

Lisa Hepfner

A lot of slang developed out of hip hop. "That's very fair to say," says Jansz. Street language and codified language is not the same. Codified language may be in underground street rap, but not popular rap culture, he says.

"It's also become street language, culture language," Dungey says, but Jansz does not agree. Some words like "trees" no longer codified. Other words have become more widespread. But the language keeps evolving Dungey says, and Jansz says "that's fair." #LauraBabcock

Language develops through slang, right? Dungey says, and Jansz agrees. "That's street culture, it's constantly evolving," Dungey says. "The young people, they're the innovators." Jansz says they also hold onto some terms, and the terms hold their meaning. #LauraBabcock

Nov 17 2017 10:37 AM

Dungey asks, "A lot of slang is developed out of hip hop?... In today's world when you're talking about street culture - a lot of it came out of rap music?"

Jansz says he sees a difference. Codified language he says is found in underground street rap, which is different than mainstream language.

"Certain words, like trees, was once codified. Now it's known as kush - which is well known to be marijuana."

Dungey says street language is constantly evolving. Det. Jansz agrees.

Dungey, "Young people are the ones bringing in the new language?"

Det. Jansz, "That's true but there are some terms or words that remain and hold their meaning."

Shannon Martin

Nov 17 2017 10:39 AM

Dungey "New Kids on the Block brought in new references of crack and cocaine?"

Okay, that gets a big laugh in the courtroom.

Det. Jansz, "I don't think I've ever heard New Kids on the Block discussed in connection with crack or cocaine."

Shannon Martin

I hear "ting" all the time. Can mean a sexual encounter. LOL

Lisa Hepfner:

Dungey says New Kids on the Block could refer to crack cocaine, and the jury and witness laugh heartily. Jansz doesn't think that group sings about drugs. Says codified language is used underground to be secretive and isn't widely known. Different from street language.

Bird, white, hard... all words to describe crack cocaine Jansz says. "Ting?" Jansz has never come across that term "in any wire taps." #LauraBabcock

"Ting" could be firearm but could also be "thing;" Jansz reiterates you need context to understand how the words are used in a conversation.

Shannon Martin:

Nov 17 2017 10:42 AM

Dungey changes gears.

"There are many different words for crack or cocaine?"

Det. Jansz, "bird,* white, hard."

Dungey, "What about ting?"

Det. Jansz, "I've never come across that, on wire taps or anything I've studied... It's usually in reference to a firearm... We need more context."

He repeats he needs more messages**- looking at "ting" on its own, isn't enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member