FDA Approves Inhalable Version of Insulin

Dark Knight

Reaction score
FDA Approves Inhalable Version of Insulin By ANDREW BRIDGES, Associated Press Writer

The first inhalable version of insulin won federal approval Friday, giving millions of adult diabetics an alternative to some of the regular injections they now endure.

The Food and Drug Administration said the Pfizer Inc. insulin, to be marketed as "Exubera," is the first new way of delivering insulin since the discovery of the hormone in the 1920s. Pfizer jointly developed the drug and dispenser with Sanofi-Aventis and Nektar Therapeutics.

Use of rapid-acting inhaled insulin will not replace the need to occasionally inject the hormone, according to the FDA. And diabetics will have to continue pricking their fingers to test blood sugar levels.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060127/ap_on_he_me/inhaled_insulin&printer=1

As a mom of a diabetic, this is awesome news. However, she'll still have to take a shot for her long-lasting insulin.

Dark Knight said:
FDA Approves Inhalable Version of Insulin By ANDREW BRIDGES, Associated Press Writer

The first inhalable version of insulin won federal approval Friday, giving millions of adult diabetics an alternative to some of the regular injections they now endure.

The Food and Drug Administration said the Pfizer Inc. insulin, to be marketed as "Exubera," is the first new way of delivering insulin since the discovery of the hormone in the 1920s. Pfizer jointly developed the drug and dispenser with Sanofi-Aventis and Nektar Therapeutics.

Use of rapid-acting inhaled insulin will not replace the need to occasionally inject the hormone, according to the FDA. And diabetics will have to continue pricking their fingers to test blood sugar levels.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060127/ap_on_he_me/inhaled_insulin&printer=1

They showed videos with interviews of the CEO, and employees of the company, Nektar Therapeutics, and their celebrating with champagne, on the local news. They had been working on this for many years. The company is just up the peninsula from here.

The media keeps saying diabetics will still have to prick their fingers to test their blood sugar, but there are now devices that allow you to prick less sensitive areas and with very little blood to monitor your blood sugar. Further evidence the media doesn't go out of it's way to research the facts, lol.

Both my mom and dad have type 2, but my grandmother has type 1. I'm sure she'd like this better then sticking herself all the time. I think this is very neat.:clap: :woohoo:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back