IN - Marvin Bieghler executed for '81 killing of expectant couple

2sisters

Reaction score
Bieghler, like Florida inmate Clarence Hill, challenged lethal injection as unconstitutional. Hill contends the three chemicals used in Florida's method of execution — the same as those used in Indiana — cause pain, making his execution cruel and unusual punishment.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,182966,00.html
I guess killing 2 people and an unborn child was painless and really nice. I am so tired of hearing these cold blooded killers and their whining.

The sooner Clarence Hill gets on the table, the better off I will feel. This is utter nonsense. We should give him a chance to really know what pain feels like, then maybe he would be happy with lethal injection. Why not make manner of execution, an optional choice, for the death row inmate. I can think of any number of very painful ways that he could be given a choice of.

Buzzm1 said:
The sooner Clarence Hill gets on the table, the better off I will feel. This is utter nonsense. We should give him a chance to really know what pain feels like, then maybe he would be happy with lethal injection. Why not make manner of execution, an optional choice, for the death row inmate. I can think of any number of very painful ways that he could be given a choice of.

That's it, Buzz! Give him a choice. Bet he'd pick the injection...

icon13.gif
Stay Of Execution
WASHINGTON (AP) - Florida death row inmate Clarence Hill won a last-minute Supreme Court stay Tuesday night about an hour after he was scheduled to be executed for killing a police officerhttp://apnews.myway.com//article/20.../D8FBCPCGE.html

post_old.gif
01-25-2006, 03:14 AM
SanQuentinvisitor
user_online.gif
vbmenu_register("postmenu_951602", true);
SQ Information booth...;)

Don't get too discouraged. This is only temporary and happens all the time. The courts will error on the side of caution every single time to ensure the integrity of the DP is not compromised. I know it's frustrating, but for the sake of not jeopardizing other cases, they must review this 'man's' claims. The standard for retardation is having an IQ of 76 or lower........it can not be faked and stupidity is not the same thing as being retarded. The argument for lethal injection being cruel has yet to hold up in any court.........

Don't be surprised if this guy gets another date real soon.;)

I told ya...........It has yet to hold up in court....

CALIFORNIA
Teen's killer slated to be executed Feb. 21
Michael Morales set to be 3rd in state put to death in 3 months

Thursday, January 19, 2006

A judge set a Feb. 21 execution date Wednesday for a Stockton man convicted of murdering a 17-year-old girl in 1981. It would be California's third execution in three months.

Michael Morales lost his final court appeal in October when the U.S. Supreme Court refused to review his case. He can still seek clemency from Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger.

http://tinyurl.com/apjjz

One thing I like about Arnold, is that he won't give clemency; not when his constituents are heavily in favor of the Death Penalty.

Buzzm1 said:
The sooner Clarence Hill gets on the table, the better off I will feel. This is utter nonsense.

We should give him a chance to really know what pain feels like, then maybe he would be happy with lethal injection. Why not make manner of execution, an optional choice, for the death row inmate.

I can think of any number of very painful ways that he could be given a choice of.

Hi Buzz :)

Unless the law has been recently modified - inmates in Florida do have a choice. They can elect "Ole Sparky", Fla's electric chair or the more peaceful method of "lethal injection". If the condemned inmate refuses to choose - the system opts for "lethal injection".

If I'm not mistaken - California has similar options for their death row inmates. They may choose between lethal injection and California's gas chamber. CA also opts for lethal injection when the inmate refuses or elects not to make a choice.

Choices .. choices! They had "choices" before they committed their brutal crimes. Now - 25 years later, they are still being given 'choices'. That's way more than any of them offered to their victims. :furious:

A few states still employ "hanging" or "death by firing squad" for their condemned. Don't remember if there was also an option for lethal injection in those few states.

13th Juror

Am I 'nuts' or is the judicial system for carrying out a death penalty sentence just plain ridiculous??

So far - 23 years in time from the murder and millions of dollars in cost to the taxpayers. How did our criminal justice system become so bogged down & inefficient? WHY sooo many appeals? Who's to blame for this debacle and so many others?

Clarence Hill's 1st death warrant was signed by Fla's Gov. Martinez in 1989 -- 7 years after he murdered a police officer while robbing a bank. 16 years later - long after his scheduled execution date - this man is still appealing his convictions. A 2nd execution date in Jan. of 2006 (signed by Gov. Jeb Bush) was stayed at the very last minute - allowing for yet another ridiculous appeal.

I have news for Mr. Hill - our Constitution does not guarantee a painfree execution! Lethal injection is NOT considered cruel & unusual punishment. "Old Sparky" is a whole other story.

So - that's over 23 years after shooting 2 police officers - killing one - that this cop killer has utilized our tax dollars & manipulated our justice system to save his sorry a$$. Why do we allow the process to take so long for these losers? I don't get it. :confused: :furious:

"Significant Events in Clarence Hill Case"

The following are significant events in the case of Clarence Hill, an Alabama man condemned for the death of a Pensacola police officer:

- Oct. 19, 1982, Clarence Hill and Cliff Jackson drive to Pensacola from Mobile, Ala., and rob Freedom Federal Savings Bank. Police arrive and Hill shoots officers Stephen Taylor and Larry Bailly. Taylor dies and Bailly wounded. Hill shot five times but survives.

- Nov. 2, 1982, Hill indicted on charge of first-degree murder, attempted first-degree murder, three counts of robbery with a firearm and one charge of possession of a firearm during commission of a felony.

- April 29, 1983, jury finds Hill guilty on all charges.

- April 29, 1983, jury recommends death by a vote of 10-2.

- May 27, 1983, Hill sentenced to death on the first-degree murder conviction and life sentences on the other five counts.

- Oct. 10, 1985, Florida Supreme Court overturns the death sentence and returns the case to trial court for a new sentencing hearing. Court ruled the trial court erred in refusing to excuse for cause two jurors because of their preconceived notions.

- March 27, 1986, the new jury recommends death by a vote of 11-1.

- April 2, 1986, Hill resentenced to death.

- Sept. 17, 1987, Florida Supreme Court affirms conviction of first-degree murder and sentence of death.

- April 4, 1988, U.S. Supreme Court denies appeal.

- Nov. 9, 1989, Gov. Bob Martinez signs death warrant.

- Jan. 18, 1990, State Circuit Court denies appeal.

- Jan. 26, 1990, Florida Supreme Court denies appeals.

- Jan. 28, 1990, U.S. District Court grants Hill a stay of execution.

- Oct. 31, 1992, U.S. District Court partially grants petition for writ of habeus corpus.

- Oct. 13, 1994, Florida Supreme Court affirms conviction and sentence of death.

- Oct. 2, 1995, U.S. Supreme Court denies appeal.

- Nov. 26, 1996, U.S. District Court denies appeal.

- May 15, 1999, 11th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals denies appeal.

- Jan. 10, 2000, U.S. Supreme Court denies appeal.

- May 26, 2004, State Circuit Court denies appeal.

- May 13, 2005, Florida Supreme Court denies appeal.

- Nov. 29, 2005, Gov. Jeb Bush signs death warrant, sets execution for Jan. 24, 2006.

- Dec. 15, 2005, State Circuit Court denies appeal.

- Jan. 10, 2006, Florida Supreme Court hears oral arguments in Hill's appeal.

- Jan. 17, 2006, Florida Supreme Court denies appeal.

- Jan. 19, 2006, Hill appeals to U.S. Supreme Court.

- Jan. 24, 2006, Hill's execution scheduled for 6 p.m. at Florida State Prison.

- Jan. 24, 2006, Hill's execution stayed AGAIN after being strapped to gurney.

So, what's next? This is 'justice served'?

13th Juror

Can you imagine being the officers families and dealing with this? it makes me mad enough and he never did anything to me personally.It makes it so much harder for the victims families to recover and try to go on with life again. I just get furious that the victim and the surviving families are not considered at all during this. People continue to feel sorry for the criminal but what about the victim(s)?

13th Juror said:
SNIP

"Significant Events in Clarence Hill Case"

The following are significant events in the case of Clarence Hill, an Alabama man condemned for the death of a Pensacola police officer:

- Oct. 19, 1982, Clarence Hill and Cliff Jackson drive to Pensacola from Mobile, Ala., and rob Freedom Federal Savings Bank. Police arrive and Hill shoots officers Stephen Taylor and Larry Bailly. Taylor dies and Bailly wounded. Hill shot five times but survives.

- Nov. 2, 1982, Hill indicted on charge of first-degree murder, attempted first-degree murder, three counts of robbery with a firearm and one charge of possession of a firearm during commission of a felony.

- April 29, 1983, jury finds Hill guilty on all charges.

- April 29, 1983, jury recommends death by a vote of 10-2.

- May 27, 1983, Hill sentenced to death on the first-degree murder conviction and life sentences on the other five counts.

- Oct. 10, 1985, Florida Supreme Court overturns the death sentence and returns the case to trial court for a new sentencing hearing. Court ruled the trial court erred in refusing to excuse for cause two jurors because of their preconceived notions.

- March 27, 1986, the new jury recommends death by a vote of 11-1.

- April 2, 1986, Hill resentenced to death.

- Sept. 17, 1987, Florida Supreme Court affirms conviction of first-degree murder and sentence of death.

- April 4, 1988, U.S. Supreme Court denies appeal.

- Nov. 9, 1989, Gov. Bob Martinez signs death warrant.

- Jan. 18, 1990, State Circuit Court denies appeal.

- Jan. 26, 1990, Florida Supreme Court denies appeals.

- Jan. 28, 1990, U.S. District Court grants Hill a stay of execution.

- Oct. 31, 1992, U.S. District Court partially grants petition for writ of habeus corpus.

- Oct. 13, 1994, Florida Supreme Court affirms conviction and sentence of death.

- Oct. 2, 1995, U.S. Supreme Court denies appeal.

- Nov. 26, 1996, U.S. District Court denies appeal.

- May 15, 1999, 11th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals denies appeal.

- Jan. 10, 2000, U.S. Supreme Court denies appeal.

- May 26, 2004, State Circuit Court denies appeal.

- May 13, 2005, Florida Supreme Court denies appeal.

- Nov. 29, 2005, Gov. Jeb Bush signs death warrant, sets execution for Jan. 24, 2006.

- Dec. 15, 2005, State Circuit Court denies appeal.

- Jan. 10, 2006, Florida Supreme Court hears oral arguments in Hill's appeal.

- Jan. 17, 2006, Florida Supreme Court denies appeal.

- Jan. 19, 2006, Hill appeals to U.S. Supreme Court.

- Jan. 24, 2006, Hill's execution scheduled for 6 p.m. at Florida State Prison.

- Jan. 24, 2006, Hill's execution stayed AGAIN after being strapped to gurney.

So, what's next? This is 'justice served'?

13th Juror
[/color]
I think, in cases, like this, where there is no question as to guilt, save money and just off the guy. Why keep him around for 23 years, and incur all kinds of additional costs. That's called insanity.

2sisters said:
Bieghler, like Florida inmate Clarence Hill, challenged lethal injection as unconstitutional. Hill contends the three chemicals used in Florida's method of execution — the same as those used in Indiana — cause pain, making his execution cruel and unusual punishment.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,182966,00.html
I guess killing 2 people and an unborn child was painless and really nice. I am so tired of hearing these cold blooded killers and their whining.

"cause pain,making his execution cruel and unusual punishment"
:confused: WTF!!!!!
What did the ones he killed endure.They had so much life ahead of them.He is contesting how he is put to death.He knows when he is going to die(and it will be painless)his victims had no choice how he took their lives.

13th Juror ...

Old SParky is no longer in use ..
After a couple of mishaps it was determinined that the electric chair is cruel and unusual so the only option is lethal injection.

I can't recall if the supreme court ruled on that or not. May have just been the Florida supreme court??

I don't care if the chair, lethal injection or a firing squad is used. Who cares if it is cruel or painful? The murderer didn't think twice about their victim's feelings of fear or pain while they were killing them.

Amraa,

From what I have gathered the Florida system itself,as you point out,nullified any future use of electrocution.Also for the other States who do still offer choices,it is on a very strict and limited basis.Virginia for example still offers electrocution as a choice for any inmate condemned PRIOR to 1996,with lethal injection being the mode used if the inmate fails to request electrocution within a clearly outlined time frame.

I am unaware of any State which still offers the firing squad as an option.This method was disposed of by the Utah State Legislature 2-3 yrs ago.The only option in Utah is now lethal injection.

Washington State does still offer hanging as a method,however it too is a limited choice.

Currently the only 1 of the death penalty States with no option of lethal injection is Nebraska.Their only method is electrocution,however with the infrequency of executions it is a given among most death penalty supporters that lethal injection will be enacted as the chosen mode prior to any future dates.

2sisters said:
I don't care if the chair, lethal injection or a firing squad is used. Who cares if it is cruel or painful? The murderer didn't think twice about their victim's feelings of fear or pain while they were killing them.
Cruel.....There is practically no form of execution possible in which the condemnded would not feel a limited amount of pain during the preperation or performance of said method....Hence all forms of execution can be deemed cruel by lovers.

Unusual.....It is highly illogical to find the planning and carrying out of the death of an otherwise healthy individual "usual".The avg life expectency is now somewhere in the range of 75-80 yrs of age.Hence the death of a man in his 30-s or 40's could always be deemed unusual.It could be posed that death in an auto accident was unusual.

The secret to the death penalty is not that it will be painless or "normal".No where in the US Constitution is a painless execution method deemed necessary.The death penalty was nor is designed to be painless or "Usual",it is merely designed to serve as the ULTIMATE punishment for the ULTIMATE crime.Enough of the silly debates....shoot them all in the back of the head on their way to shower.Bullets are cheap and can be reloaded for future use.It is concievable 1 shell could be used in the execution of multiple inmates,barring damage caused by bone strikes or such which would damage the casing beyond future use.

Thanks PA

I was wondering when you would pop in on this topic ;)

Amraann said:
Thanks PA

I was wondering when you would pop in on this topic ;)
You knew I couldn't resist....The death penalty is afterall the one subject I am quite versed in......Never met a yet I didn't wanna see jerk.....LMAO

SanQuentinvisitor said:

http://websleuths.com/forums/images/icons/icon13.gif Stay Of Execution
WASHINGTON (AP) - Florida death row inmate Clarence Hill won a last-minute Supreme Court stay Tuesday night about an hour after he was scheduled to be executed for killing a police officerhttp://apnews.myway.com//article/20.../D8FBCPCGE.html

http://websleuths.com/forums/images/statusicon/post_old.gif 01-25-2006, 03:14 AM
SanQuentinvisitor http://websleuths.com/forums/images/statusicon/user_online.gif vbmenu_register("postmenu_951602", true);
SQ Information booth...;)

Don't get too discouraged. This is only temporary and happens all the time. The courts will error on the side of caution every single time to ensure the integrity of the DP is not compromised. I know it's frustrating, but for the sake of not jeopardizing other cases, they must review this 'man's' claims. The standard for retardation is having an IQ of 76 or lower........it can not be faked and stupidity is not the same thing as being retarded. The argument for lethal injection being cruel has yet to hold up in any court.........

Don't be surprised if this guy gets another date real soon.;)

I told ya...........It has yet to hold up in court....
Partially correct SQV....hopefully your partial correctness will hold true in the coming months.Do not however be misled by the thought that Bieghlers execution in anyway tones down the recent intrusion by the USSC upon States Rights.Bieghler's execution was allowed to proceed because he had ALREADY explored the LI process in appealate courts and had lost those appeals.With the intrusion by the USSC every inmate with a pending date(set already)has filed for relief pending the outcome of the 4/26 hearing in the Hill case.Odds are that executions will proceed,but it is no longer any better than a 40:60 bet for the actual performance of the exeution.I'd bet 6 out of 10 will stay between now and 4/26,that rate could well increase to 9 out of 10 if the court rules in Hills favor.....Let us hope the recent addition of Roberts,and the almost definate addition of Alito will put the USSC back where it belongs......

proadvocate said:
Partially correct SQV....hopefully your partial correctness will hold true in the coming months.Do not however be misled by the thought that Bieghlers execution in anyway tones down the recent intrusion by the USSC upon States Rights.Bieghler's execution was allowed to proceed because he had ALREADY explored the LI process in appealate courts and had lost those appeals.With the intrusion by the USSC every inmate with a pending date(set already)has filed for relief pending the outcome of the 4/26 hearing in the Hill case.Odds are that executions will proceed,but it is no longer any better than a 40:60 bet for the actual performance of the exeution.I'd bet 6 out of 10 will stay between now and 4/26,that rate could well increase to 9 out of 10 if the court rules in Hills favor.....Let us hope the recent addition of Roberts,and the almost definate addition of Alito will put the USSC back where it belongs......
True. I think we're going to see some changes with Roberts.

I've spoken with many people here in CA about this process and the use of it. All seem to be on the same page that as long as we have executions, this method seems to be the most humane in terms of pain or comfort. From here- who knows........We do know that the opponents are pushing for abolishment, and really don't care much about the procedure and whether it hurts or not........the objective is to abolish this practice, period, by any means........The more they can introduce that there is extreme discomfort in the actual procedure, the more they can muddy up the bigger picture. It's a tactic. Really, when all is said and done, does it really matter "how" it's done, as long as it 'is' done?!

It's certainly going to be interesting to watch the changes in the Higher Court...

SanQuentinvisitor said:
True. I think we're going to see some changes with Roberts.

I've spoken with many people here in CA about this process and the use of it. All seem to be on the same page that as long as we have executions, this method seems to be the most humane in terms of pain or comfort. From here- who knows........We do know that the opponents are pushing for abolishment, and really don't care much about the procedure and whether it hurts or not........the objective is to abolish this practice, period, by any means........The more they can introduce that there is extreme discomfort in the actual procedure, the more they can muddy up the bigger picture. It's a tactic. Really, when all is said and done, does it really matter "how" it's done, as long as it 'is' done?!

It's certainly going to be interesting to watch the changes in the Higher Court...
Exactly the point I hoped to make in my earlier post on the topic of Cruel and Unusual.....It is cruel to plan and carry out a healthy mans death,and it is unusual as well.But it is also richly deserved punishment for the crime of murder.Let us pray any changes under the Roberts tenure will be purely those which speed the process up and reward thousands more of these sadistic bastards with a speedy unusual death

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
branditau.wareham72@gmail
Back