"Turin Winter Olympics 2006 - Schedule & Info Sharing"

13th Juror

Inactive
Reaction score
Website
Visit site

NBC stations to have 416 hours of televised events, 40 more than Salt Lake

NEW YORK - The Turin Olympics will be the most televised Winter Games with 416 hours of coverage, an increase of more than 40 hours from the 2002 Salt Lake City Olympics.

There will be about 200 hours of live television coverage during the Feb. 10-27 games on the NBC Universal networks - NBC, USA, MSNBC, CNBC, NBC HD and Universal HD. There were about 140 hours of live coverage from Salt Lake City.

The coverage, details of which were announced Tuesday, will average about 24½ hours a day over all the networks.

There will be regular updates and a late-night Olympic highlight show on Telemundo, NBC's Spanish-language network.

USA, MSNBC and CNBC will have a total of 233½ hours of coverage, about 75 percent of which will be live.

All 54 games of both the men's and women's hockey tournaments will be shown live on the networks.

Bob Costas will return as the prime-time Olympic host for the sixth time. He has won Emmy Awards for the previous five times he was NBC's prime-time host.

Jim Lampley will anchor the daytime and late-night Olympic telecasts. It is his sixth Olympics with NBC and 13th overall, surpassing Jim McKay for the most Olympic assignments for a television announcer.

Dick Button is joining NBC's coverage. He will co-host "Olympic Ice," a show on USA that will focus on figure skating. The 1948 gold medalist also will provide analysis during the figure skating pairs competition.

FYI: All times listed at the above link are for the 'Eastern Time Zone'.

Can't wait for the games to begin!! :woohoo:

13th Juror :D

My sister-in-law's sister's son, a Secret Service agent, was head of the Ski Patrol at the Salt Lake City Olympics. They had a picture of him in Newsweek, including a diagram, showing all of the special equipment, including weapons, that he carried in his ski outfit at the time.

I can't wait, either...whether winter or summer, we love the Olympics here at our house!! :woohoo: :woohoo:

Thanks for starting this thread 13th.........looking forward to watching as much of it as I can :woohoo:

Yippee Hockey being shown Live About Time. I hate to have known ahead a time who won. Hockey and the downhill my Favs.

JDB said:
Yippee Hockey being shown Live About Time. I hate to have known ahead a time who won. Hockey and the downhill my Favs.
we love hockey-- husband has usa hockey team as screen saver now-
9 year old son plays---JDB have you ever watched Mystery Alaska?

j2mirish said:
we love hockey-- husband has usa hockey team as screen saver now-
9 year old son plays---JDB have you ever watched Mystery Alaska?
Yeppers Many Times Along with Slap Shot

JDB said:
Yeppers Many Times Along with Slap Shot
slap shot poster hangs in hubbies home office!!
Mystery Alaska is my fave!

my son can just about quote verbatium (sp) all the words in Miracle !

great hockey movies-- especially Miracle

j2mirish said:
slap shot poster hangs in hubbies home office!!
Mystery Alaska is my fave!

my son can just about quote verbatium (sp) all the words in Miracle !

great hockey movies-- especially Miracle
I agree Miracle is great

Torino Winter Olympics TV schedule

All Times EST - (Subject to change!)

NBC primetime and late night sessions are EST and PST

"This Week-end's Olympic Events - Feb. 10th-12th"

FRIDAY, FEB. 10

NBC - 8 p.m. - Midnight
(Opening Ceremony; Parade of Nations; Lighting of the Olympic Cauldron)

NBC - 2:39 - 6 a.m. (Primetime replay)

SATURDAY, FEB. 11

USA - 7 - 9 am
(Live: Biathlon Mens 20 km Final)

CNBC - 7 a.m. - Noon
(Live: Womens hockey: Finland vs. Germany; Sweden vs. Russia)

UNIVERSAL HD - 7 a.m. - Noon
(Live: Womens hockey: Finland vs. Germany; Sweden vs. Russia)

USA - Noon - 2:30 p.m.
(Live: Womens hockey: USA vs. Switzerland)

UNIVERSAL HD - Noon-2:30 p.m.
(Live: Womens hockey: USA vs. Switzerland)

CNBC - 2:30 - 5 p.m.
(Live Womens hockey: Canada vs. Italy)

UNIVERSAL HD - 2:30 - 5 p.m.
(Live: Womens hockey: Canada vs. Italy),

NBC - 3 - 6 p.m.
(Luge Mens Singles; Nordic Combined Individual Final; Alpine Skiing Mens Downhill Timed Training)

NBC - 8 - 11:30 p.m.
(Figure Skating Pairs Short Program; Freestyle Skiing Womens Moguls Final; Speedskating Mens 5000m Final; Luge Mens Singles; Alpine Skiing Mens Downhill Training)

NBC - Midnight - 1 a.m.
(Ski Jumping K95 Individual; Medals Plaza Award Ceremony)

NBC - 1 - 4:30 a.m.
(Primetime replay)

SUNDAY, FEB. 12

CNBC - 10:30 a.m. - 1 p.m.
(Live: Womens hockey: Canada vs. Russia)

UNIVERSAL HD - 10:30 a.m.-1 p.m. (Live: Womens hockey: Canada vs. Russia)

USA - , 1 - 3:30 p.m.
(Live: Womens hockey: USA vs. Germany)

UNIVERSAL HD - 1 - 3:30 p.m.
(Live: Womens hockey: USA vs. Germany)

NBC - 3 - 6 p.m.
(Speedskating Womens 3000m Final; Cross Country Womens Pursuit and Mens Pursuit; Luge Mens Singles)

NBC - 7 - 11 p.m.
(Alpine Skiing Mens Downhill Final; Short Track Speedskating Mens 1500m Final; Ski Jumping K95 Individual Final; Snowboarding Mens Halfpipe Final; Ski Jumping K95 Individual Final; Luge Mens Singles Final)

NBC - 11:35 p.m. - 12:30 a.m.
(Short Track Speedskating Womens 3000m Relay and Womens 500m; Medals Plaza Award Ceremonies)

NBC - 12:30 - 4:30 a.m.
(Primetime replay)

13th Juror

MONDAY, FEB. 13

USA - 3 - 11 a.m.
(Live: Mens curling: USA vs. Norway; Biathlon Womens 15km Final; Womens curling: USA vs. Norway)

MSNBC - 9 a.m. - 2 p.m.
(Live: Womens hockey: Sweden vs. Italy; Finland vs. Switzerland)

UNIVERSAL HD - 9 a.m. - 2 p.m.
(Live: Womens hockey: Sweden vs. Italy; Finland vs. Switzerland)

NBC - 4 - 5 p.m.
(Luge Womens Singles)

NBC - 8 - 11:30 p.m.
(Figure Skating Pairs Free Skate Final; Snowboarding Womens Halfpipe Final; Speedskating Mens 500m Final)

CNBC - 5 - 8 p.m.
(Mens curling: USA vs. Finland)

NBC - 12:05 - 1:30 a.m.
(Medals Plaza Award Ceremonies)

NBC - 1:30 - 5 a.m.
(Primetime replay)

13th Juror

It all begins tonight with the "Opening Ceremonies" - Can't wait!!! :woohoo:

"Figure Skating" is my favorite event.

I absolutely love watching the skating performances! Guess you could call me 'a figure skating junkie' as I follow it like most other fans follow football. <lol>

All the skaters are so far advanced than when my Dad participated in the Olympics. (1932 in Lake Placid & again in 1936) The caliber of skating performances just gets better & better every year, it seems.

Dad had me on a pair of tiny ice skates (made especially for me) from the time I could stand up & take a few steps. Dad added a little pillow in the tush of my snowsuit and I balanced by holding onto the back of a child's small wood & wicker chair - pushing it across the ice. What a sight that was! LOL

I'm so glad to still have the photographs Mom took as that was a very l-o-n-g time ago and I may not have believed I was actually on ice skates at 10 mo. old otherwise. I'm sure Dad thought that someday I'd be the next Sonja Henie or Maribel Vincent (two of his skating partners). But, alas - it was never meant to be. Not even close - lol. Oh well - hey, I can still enjoy watching and recalling many endearing memories of my very special Dad. :)

Anyone else have a favorite event - or events?

Any specific olympians or teams that you are pulling for?

13th Juror

I am also a bit of a hockey fan, and I am pulling for the CANADIAN team!! I am hoping the Tocchet/Gretzky gambling scandal does not negatively impact our Canadian team.

I am also very interested in Men's nordic combined as we have a neighbor competing, a really nice young man who used to babysit my kids. We also know another young man who used to ski with my daughter's ski club, skiing downhill for Canada. We will be watching these events with great interest. It is so exciting to know some people who have made it to the Olympics, and to know the sacrifices they have made to get there.

Give me the Downhill, Luge , Skelton, bobsledding. Anything with speed. :D OH And all the Speed skating events.

Baver, Hedrick, Uhlaender among hopefuls for sixth season of NBC show

Excerpts from an Associated Press article on MSNBC.com - Feb. 10, 2006

TURIN, Italy - Short track speedskater Allison Baver is among 12 American athletes in the running for a spot on the sixth season of the Donald Trump show, 'The Apprentice'.

Baver, 21, of Reading, Pa., is a two-time Olympian and the girlfriend of U.S. men's short track speedskater Apolo Anton Ohno.

The others in contention are:

freestyle skier Travis Cabral,
speedskater Casey FitzRandolph,
bobsledder Todd Hays,
speedskater Chad Hedrick,
snowboarder Danny Kass,
freestyle skier Joe Pack,
freestyle skier Speedy Peterson,
women's ice hockey player Angela Ruggiero,
skeleton racer Katie Uhlaender,
snowboarder Seth Wescott,
speedskater Chris Witty

Cabral, 22, of South Lake Tahoe, Calif., is the 2002-03 World Cup moguls champion. Cabral has been a consistent force on the World Cup circuit since the 2002-03 season, when he broke out to win the moguls title. In 1999, at age 15, Cabral became the youngest U.S. moguls champion in history.

Hedrick, 28, of Houston, makes his Olympic debut and qualified for five events. He had a breakout year in 2004 winning the world all-around title - becoming the first American to claim the crown since Eric Flaim in 1988 and claiming gold in the men's 5,000-meter event and bronze in the 10,000-meter race at the world championships.

FitzRandolph, 31, of Madison, Wis., won gold in 2002, becoming the first American to win the 500-meter race at the Games since Eric Heiden accomplished the feat in 1980.

Peterson, 24, of Boise, Idaho, is the reigning men's aerials World Cup champion. Nicknamed "Speedy" at a ski camp when he was a kid, he made his Olympic debut at the 2002 Salt Lake Games, where he was ninth.

Hays, 37, of Del Rio, Texas, is still the top American driver after his silver-medal performance at the 2002 Games. He is a leading medal contender in both the two- and four-man events in Turin. Hays' best results have always come in four-man, the event in which he won silver at Salt Lake and two world championship medals: silver in 2003 and bronze in 2004.

Kass, 23, of Mammoth Lakes, Calif., is one of snowboarding's biggest stars. He enters his second Games looking for his second Olympic medal. He took silver in the halfpipe at the 2002 Games where he, along with Ross Powers (gold) and J.J. Thomas (bronze), was part of an historic American sweep in the event.

Pack, 27, of Park City, Utah, competed in front of his home crowd in the 2002 Olympic aerials competition. He capped his Olympic debut with a silver medal.

Ruggiero, 26, of Harper Woods, Mich., won gold in Nagano in 1998 and silver in Salt Lake in 2002. She has emerged as one of the team's leaders and is widely regarded as the top defenseman in the world.

Uhlaender, 22, of Breckenridge, Colo., finished sixth in the 2004-05 World Cup standings, her first season on the circuit.

Wescott, 30, of Farmington, Maine, is a first-time Olympian. The Maine resident's gold was the only first-place finish for the American men at snowboarding worlds.

Witty, 31, of Park City, Utah, won the U.S.'s only two speedskating medals at the 1998 Games, taking bronze in the 1,500-meter event and silver in the 1,000-meter race. Witty, who held the world record in the 1000, finished behind Marianne Timmer of the Netherlands.

13th Juror

The Trump should take them all!!!!!!!

It would be a good show because of their dedication, hard work, focus and competitiveness.

And maybe teach him something about being humble.

The BarnGod is not a big sports fan, unless it's the National Finals Rodeo. However, he stayed glued to the TV this morning while watching the US women beat Switzerland in Ice Hockey. Delayed the chores and feeding the horses until the game finished. He definitely likes hockey more than football. He was disgusted when Denver lost to Pittsburgh. We'll be watching as much as possible during the games. I love the skating and enjoy the skiing events. Do also love the luge, etc.

BTW, one horse got out and fed herself. She's the smartest one of the bunch. Found her lying down by the hay bale for a rest. She then followed the BarnGod around the yard while he fed other horses and took care of the chickens and hogs. It's a good thing the barn door was shut or she would have found her way in there looking for grain.

I'm irritated hearing NBC constantly calling it Torino (the local name for it) rather than what the rest of us know it as, Turin, just because Torino "rolls off the tongue better" or something like that, they said. Plus all other media outlets are calling it Turin. NBC is so odd, lol!

The lighting of the torch sure was cool though!!!! Did you see the final torchbearer cringe a bit as she lit it? She knew there would be an explosion, lol.

Dark Knight said:
I'm irritated hearing NBC constantly calling it Torino (the local name for it) rather than what the rest of us know it as, Turin, just because Torino "rolls off the tongue better" or something like that, they said. Plus all other media outlets are calling it Turin. NBC is so odd, lol!

The lighting of the torch sure was cool though!!!! Did you see the final torchbearer cringe a bit as she lit it? She knew there would be an explosion, lol.
Turin or Torino? Depends on whom you ask

Saturday, 11 February , 2006, 14:32

The city in northern Italy that’s hosting the Winter Olympics is “Torino” to the locals. For most of us non-Italians, it’s always been Turin.

“I believe readers are seeing it on television with the logo, it says ‘Torino,’ the Olympic Games,” Ron Fritz, sports editor at The News Journal in Wilmington, Del., said. “And then they see it in the paper, ’Turin,’ and they’re thinking we got it wrong.”

The explanation for the different versions is simple.

Sort of. “Turin is the English translation of the Italian word Torino,” said Clara Orban, a professor of Italian at DePaul University. “Standard practice in the United States is if a city name has been translated differently, go with the English translation.”

SNIP:

The official name of the games is “Torino 2006,” and the International Olympic Committee refers to the city by its Italian name. When the games were awarded in June 1999, then-IOC president Juan Antonio Samaranch announced, “The hosts of the 2006 Games will be Torino.”

And with as many as 200 million people tuning in to watch the games, that means there’ll be a lot of Americans speaking at least one word of Italian for a few weeks.

USA Today also went with Torino because that is the official name, said Monte Lorell, the paper’s managing editor for sports.

“We had to decide what is the least confusing to our readers. You could say the Torino Olympics in Turin, but that just leads to confusion,” Lorell said. “We decided to just make it uniform all the way throughout. Either way, the Winter Olympics will simply call the city home next month.

http://sify.com/news/fullstory.php?id=14138803

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Back2theGardenAgain
Back