CA CA - Dr. Enrique Garibay Ruiz, 51, Los Angeles, 6 Oct 2017

LisaWL7TR

Former Member
Reaction score
Family members of a tourist from Hungary are asking for the public's help in locating the man, who has been missing for over a month and was last heard from in the Los Angeles area.

Enrique Garibay Ruiz has not been heard from since Oct. 6. Loved ones said Ruiz last contacted them in L.A., where he was supposed to board a flight to Europe, with Hungary as his last destination.

Ruiz is a nuclear physicist and author. He traveled to the U.S. on vacation and to request publication of some books in New York and California, according to family.

He arrived to the U.S. on Sept. 15. and reached California 10 days later.

Ruiz left Melrose Hostel in the 600 block of N. Western Avenue on Oct. 3 and spoke with his family on Oct. 5, saying he was on a waiting list for a flight. They said they noticed a charge on his card on Oct. 4 at Avis Rent a Car and at a Carl's Jr. restaurant on Oct. 6.

Those searching for Ruiz believe he may be in a gray Toyota RAV4 with the California license plate 7V6J780.

He is described as being 5 feet, 9 inches tall with dark brown eyes, gray hair and possibly a thick, gray beard. He also wears glasses.

http://abc7.com/tourist-missing-for-over-a-month-last-heard-from-in-la/2658716/

daf349fb23b685348f329961c0e55f9b.jpg
2825d64e27b18bfb22c049e4ae745c27.jpg

Posting this here, not id yet and is an hour from the airport-

Body Found At Bottom Of San Pedro Cliff

The man appeared to have been about 60 years of age, said LAFD spokesman Brian Humphrey.

Information was not immediately available on the man's identity or on his cause of death.

https://patch.com/california/los-angeles/amp/27373376/body-found-bottom-san-pedro-cliff
Has been identified and it is not Enrique

The man was identified by the coroner’s office as Thierry Cypress of San Pedro, whose birthday was last Wednesday.
https://mynewsla.com/crime/2017/11/29/coroner-ids-body-found-near-san-pedro-cliff/

http://www.missingpersonsofamerica....s-to-los-angeles-from-hungary-and-disappears/

This page has a bit of background information on Enrique. He is Mexican-Spanish and met his wife while studying in Hungary. They have two teenaged children. The family is desperate to find him. He is a freelance scientist and author and came to the US to meet other scientists.

I hope he is alright and calls home.

Sadly no updates in msm I can find.

ETA: don't rental cars have some sort of tracking device usually?

http://www.missingpersonsofamerica....s-to-los-angeles-from-hungary-and-disappears/

This page has a bit of background information on Enrique. He is Mexican-Spanish and met his wife while studying in Hungary. They have two teenaged children. The family is desperate to find him. He is a freelance scientist and author and came to the US to meet other scientists.

I hope he is alright and calls home.

Sadly no updates in msm I can find.

ETA: don't rental cars have some sort of tracking device usually?
You would think....perhaps that info isn't being shared with the public.

You would think....perhaps that info isn't being shared with the public.

If his car had a tracking device, after more than two months wouldn't the rental company want to find it? I'm puzzled that the car has not been found - at least it wasn't reported that they did.

A lot more info from the link tarabull posted above which was posted on 17 Nov 2017.
Also,
The investigation has been stalled also because the car rental company has not made a report of theft, said Eréndira Acuña Garibay, niece of the Mexican scientist, through a video posted on the Facebook page 'I look for Quique', which He opened to request support from the public to find his whereabouts.

The family is asking that Avis Car Rent proceed legally against Garibay so that the detectives can turn the investigation around and ask a judge to review the surveillance cameras and review the activity of emails and telephones to try to locate it

Maybe he drove across a border???

:thinking:

Where are you Enrique???

:candle:

September 15 -- arrived in NY
September 25 -- arrived in CA
October 4 -- rented vehicle @ Avis near LAX
October 5 -- told wife he was @ airport waiting to return to Hungary

He didn't return the RAV4
He didn't return to Hungary.

:thinking:

Snipped...
...He was visiting the United States, on September 15 he came to New York to negotiate with publishers the publication of some of his essays and stories that he has written on topics ranging from science and political economy to philosophy and football.

The same thing he planned to do in California, where he arrived on September 25 and after staying 10 days in Los Angeles, on October 5 Dr. Garibay telephoned his wife to tell her that he was at the airport in the waiting room to board a car. plane and return to Hungary .

One day earlier, on October 4, he rented a recently- painted gray Toyota RAV4 pickup truck with license plates from California 7VGJ780 at an Avis Car Rental branch near the Los Angeles International Airport (LAX).

recently painted rental car? What an odd detail.

Also, he was staying a hostel?... also odd perhaps, given what has been reported about Enrique.

And the topics he has written on and was seeking publication of include an awfully wide-ranging list of topics IMO - he is a "freelance scientist" (what is this? an unemployed scientist?) but has written about football? And it says he also came to the US to meet other scientists.... but also to see about getting published?

What has been reported seems odd IMO. I hope he is safe but I think there is something else going on.

bumping. Does not seem to be anyone looking for this man. Perhaps he has returned home or been found otherwise.

bumping. I'd want someone to bump this if it were me or someone I loved. I'd like to hear from folks that actually saw him on his US trip, especially in the area where the hostel is. What might he have said or done... too many possibilities.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back