FDA: Crushed bugs in your lipstick, ice cream, etc...

vanillasky

Reaction score
WASHINGTON (AP) -- That ice cream you're eating or the lipstick you're wearing just might contain extract from crushed bugs. On purpose.

And the government thinks you should know.

The Food and Drug Administration proposed Friday requiring food and cosmetic labels to list cochineal extract or carmine if a product's ingredients include either of the two red colorings that have been extracted from the ground bodies of an insect known since the time of the Aztecs.

<< snip >>

The ingredients typically are listed as "color added" or "E120," the FDA said.

Full story: http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/01/27/insect.dye.ap/index.html

We would be in denial to not realize that there is bugs,mouse/rat hair and drippings,in most of the things we use and eat.They are easily enmeshed in the machinary that is used to produce a lot of products.

It's best not to think about it though! lol.

Actually I don't know why a certain bug juice would be any worse for us than many of the chemicals or additives that we eat or drink every day. Anything from petroleum products would probably be much worse for us.

Has anyone been following the Teflon news? Very bad stuff; Dupont has to phase it out by (2010). Oh wow, the pressure's on them, huh? Evidently Teflon is in everyone's blood now, and it's been linked to cancer.

Give me bug juice anyday.

Marthatex I was just coming to reply something veyr similair.

But what is this about teflon?? Like the kind most have on their pans??

I haven't heard about the Teflon problem, thanks for bringing that up! :eek:

It was on the evening news the other day - but haven't heard it since. I'm sure they try to keep it suppressed. I'll look for a link. The EPA is finally making Dupont get rid of a product they use to make Teflon. I think it's mostly in the air and water; not so much an issue of buying Teflon products.

Environment
DuPont Agrees to Reduce Use of Teflon Chemical
by David Kestenbaum

All Things Considered, January 25, 2006 · The Environmental Protection Agency has reached an agreement with DuPont, which makes Teflon for pans and other products. The company will significantly reduce the use of PFOA, a long-lived chemical used in the Teflon manufacturing process. An EPA advisory committee called it a "likely carcinogen," but there no data definitively showing it is harmful for humans

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=5172195&ft=1&f=1003

Meanwhile ... I'm going to use my teflon-coated cookware a bit less. Why? I dunno. We have used Teflon for YEARS! At any rate, the news is out.

Well, guess what. Dupont SUPPRESSED The information they had that PFOA was harmful. That's why they were fined millions of dollars. But that is a drop in the bucket for them.

The EPA cannot even make them stop using the substance under the Toxis Substances act, they can only ask for voluntary compliance. This substances passes from mother to fetus and has been linked with cancer and developmental problems.

It is in all of our blood now. It is not just teflon but "other nonstick and nonstain coatings", according to an article in the Indianpolis Star.

Seems to me Dupont should have alot more than a "fine".
My husband made me stick to stainless steel. The problem is in the production, though - it gets in everyone's air and water.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10465449/

I am happy to say I have no teflon coated cookware.

Only stainless steel and cast iron.

Back to the issue of bug juice dye... LOLOL
It certainly can't be more harmful then chemically processed dyes..
I mean at least bugs are all natural??

Edit to add...
HEY TYBEE!!!! Look its ok to eat Dorittos and Cheetos ... The dye isn't bad for you !! Its just bugs!! LOLL

(sorry guys.. little personal joke)

Who reads the labels to lipsticks, anyway? I might read what's in ice cream. The important thing is what's SAFE to use, or legal if it's from a dubious source. Those things should be regulated, IMO, not given us in some kind of list of 100 substances, most of which we know nothing about.

How Funny! LOL I might stop eating ice cream after now discovering what can be hidden therein!

I did have a roomie in college from Mt Vernon WN. Her Dad owned an ice cream plant and since they grow a lot of Strawberries up there, that was mainly what they made - Strawberry Ice Cream. She told me she would never eat it her whole life because you would not believe the bugs and stems and everything else that goes into the mix that is not planned to be in it. It is impossible to keep some foreign material from going into the mix!

I thought there was a ban on using Red Dye #1 that has been in effect for years and years now.

Scandi

I remember reading somewhere that the average woman eats like 5 pounds of lipstick in her lifetime. Ick!

Paradise said:
I remember reading somewhere that the average woman eats like 5 pounds of lipstick in her lifetime. Ick!

And how about the average man? Not as much as women, but they do come in contact with it. :D

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Suesleuth
Back