OH OH - Bernice Hayslip, 77, Pike County, August 2016 *Arrest*

pamelado2

Reaction score
http://m.fox19.com/story/36902145/pike-co-murder-investigation-into-missing-adams-co-woman

https://www.10tv.com/article/sheriff-missing-77-year-old-woman-may-have-been-victim-foul-play
97473439a27d1b42d8b0bcb80068938b.jpg

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

What a strange situation. The timeline seems very vague. When was Mrs. Hayslip at the nursing home? When did she leave? If she'd been moved from there for a long time, why would someone make an anonymous call to the nursing home about her? Was she receiving visits from a nurse's aide to assist in her care? Seems she must have had some need for that if she'd spent time at the nursing facility. One would assume her physician would have questioned her being missing for so long.

As with the nearby Rhoden Family Massacre, there seems to be little information given to the public about this case. I wonder if they're connected in any way? So many unsolved, secret crimes in Pike and Adams counties.

After Hayslip was released, she lived with family in Peebles before her mysterious disappearance.

The last records the medical facility has on file indicate an anonymous caller reported Hayslip dead.

“It was reported to one of those healthcare companies that she had been deceased,” said Deputy William Stansberry. “However, there was no death certificate, there’s never been any application for burial.”

As authorities continue to investigate this as a murder, they said they have not ruled out the possibility that Hayslip is still alive.

http://m.fox19.com/story/36902145/pike-co-murder-investigation-into-missing-adams-co-woman

Sheriff: Remains Discovered In Search For Missing Pike County Woman

I was watching the 10:00 PM news on WTTE-TV in Columbus tonight and WTTE-TV is reporting that forensic examiners had found very small fragments of remains at a rural residence in the western part of Pike County.

It hasn’t been determined at this time whether the very small fragments that were found by forensic examiners are human remains or if they are the remains of Bernice Hayslip.

WTTE-TV also reported during the newscast that not only does the Pike County Sheriff’s office consider Bernice Hayslip to be a homicide victim, it also deemed Hayslip’s daughter and the daughter’s ex-boyfriend to be prime suspects.

Source:

http://myfox28columbus.com/news/loc...vered-in-search-for-missing-pike-county-woman

Sheriff: Remains Discovered In Search For Missing Pike County Woman

I was watching the 10:00 PM news on WTTE-TV in Columbus tonight and WTTE-TV is reporting that forensic examiners had found very small fragments of remains at a rural residence in the western part of Pike County.

It hasn’t been determined at this time whether the very small fragments that were found by forensic examiners are human remains or if they are the remains of Bernice Hayslip.

WTTE-TV also reported during the newscast that not only does the Pike County Sheriff’s office consider Bernice Hayslip to be a homicide victim, it also deemed Hayslip’s daughter and the daughter’s ex-boyfriend to be prime suspects.

Source:

http://myfox28columbus.com/news/loc...vered-in-search-for-missing-pike-county-woman

That's disgusting.

I found the daughters Facebook the other day, I'll look for it again later and post it.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Arrest: https://www.10tv.com/article/man-charged-after-remains-found-search-missing-woman-pike-county

The Pike County Sheriff’s Office confirms that Branden L. Friend has been charged with abuse of a corpse and tampering with evidence in connection to human remains that were found in a burn pile last week, the sheriff told 10 Investigates Wednesday.

Online jail records show that Friend is being held on a $40,000 bond.

Just last week, police discovered human remains while searching two properties in Pike County. Police made that discovery at a property on Lapperell Road while looking for 77-year-old Bernice Hayslip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Has anyone learned the status of the other person charged in this incident? Tracy Sowards? From what I can see in court records, charges against her were referred to the Pike County Grand Jury. She was being charged with credit card misuse.

Wonder what happened to Johnny Kerns, who was also considered a suspect?

More people charged after disappearance of Pike County woman

ETA: Found the records indicating charges against Tracy Sowards were dismissed. Apparently the case was referred to the Pike County Grand Jury who didn't rule on it. Her case was dismissed for lack of a speedy trial. Doesn't sound fair.

Ruling by Judge Randy Deering

Randy Deering - Ballotpedia

Last edited:
Has anyone learned the status of the other person charged in this incident? Tracy Sowards? From what I can see in court records, charges against her were referred to the Pike County Grand Jury. She was being charged with credit card misuse.

Wonder what happened to Johnny Kerns, who was also considered a suspect?

More people charged after disappearance of Pike County woman
He was sent to the Grand Jury as well, I believe. Unless I read the court records wrong which is always a possibility.

Woah, I can't believe Sheriff Reader finally decided to name Kerns as a suspect in one of the murders. He's been in jail for a while now, not sure why they didn't want to name him.

Now I'm hoping they pursue this instead of dropping charges and referring him to the Grand Jury, where murder cases go to die in Pike County. Sending Hayslip's case to BCI is also another way of burying things.

ETA: I spoke too soon:

He said he expects prosecutors to ask a grand jury to indict Kerns and Hayslip's daughter, Tracy Sowards, 44, soon for their alleged roles in her slaying.

"You are looking at murder, conspiracy to commit murder and at least abuse of a corpse," Reader said Monday.

"With (Kerns) being locked up, hopefully that will give us time to present the case to the prosecutor so he can review it and prepare it and present it to a grand jury so (Kerns) can hopefully be indicted on multiple charges in the disappearance and murder of Bernice Hayslip, along with her daughter, Tracy Sowards."

BBM... Drat! Sounds like it's already headed to the Grand Jury, before the investigation is complete. Why not just complete the investigation, then charge the killers?

:mad:

Last edited:
Woah, I can't believe Sheriff Reader finally decided to name Kerns as a suspect in one of the murders. He's been in jail for a while now, not sure why they didn't want to name him.

Now I'm hoping they pursue this instead of dropping charges and referring him to the Grand Jury, where murder cases go to die in Pike County. Sending Hayslip's case to BCI is also another way of burying things.
Perhaps Reader has been keeping an eye on the numerous forums that have been raising eyebrows at how things are being conducted there in Pike County and is realizing that thousands of people are questioning how all of these incidents are being handled, JMO. In any case, I was pleased to read that Bernice will hopefully at least get her murder case presented before the courts. I am praying (and will continue) that she receives the justice she so much deserves.

ETA-I thought Sowards was already bound over to the GJ, per the Pike County website. I wonder what’s been going on with Kerns all this time and why the delay.

What is this all about? From same article above:

Court officials in Pike County said Allen Bill posted Kerns' bond and then requested the money back. It was not clear why, they said. The case file was not immediately available Monday morning.

Who is Allen Bill and why would he suddenly ask to have his bond money returned? Why did he post it in the first place? What is his relationship to Kerns? As always, strange things happening in Pike County.

What is this all about? From same article above:

Who is Allen Bill and why would he suddenly ask to have his bond money returned? Why did he post it in the first place? What is his relationship to Kerns? As always, strange things happening in Pike County.
I’m asking the same questions o_O and am gonna have to sleuth these connections later today. It just seems like more and more names keep appearing across the board.

Perhaps Reader has been keeping an eye on the numerous forums that have been raising eyebrows at how things are being conducted there in Pike County and is realizing that thousands of people are questioning how all of these incidents are being handled, JMO. In any case, I was pleased to read that Bernice will hopefully at least get her murder case presented before the courts. I am praying (and will continue) that she receives the justice she so much deserves.

ETA-I thought Sowards was already bound over to the GJ, per the Pike County website. I wonder what’s been going on with Kerns all this time and why the delay.

But they sent Hayslip's case to the GJ waiting list, then later dropped the charges against Soward and her BF because the case hadn't been heard yet by the GJ. Its in the Pike County Court of Common Pleas docket database.

IANAL, but I think that means prosecutor starts over on this. But they knew back then that Kerns was involved, since they found Hayslip's bones on his property. They did nothing about Kerns until Violet Rhoden Taylor was killed. Even then they sat on this for over a month.

How many people do you need to kill in Pike County before someone arrests and prosecutes you? Is there a minimum quota?

But they sent Hayslip's case to the GJ waiting list, then later dropped the charges against Soward and her BF because the case hadn't been heard yet by the GJ. Its in the Pike County Court of Common Pleas docket database.

IANAL, but I think that means prosecutor starts over on this. But they knew back then that Kerns was involved, since they found Hayslip's bones on his property. They did nothing about Kerns until Violet Rhoden Taylor was killed. Even then they sat on this for over a month.

How many people do you need to kill in Pike County before someone arrests and prosecutes you? Is there a minimum quota?
It makes no sense. I’ve personally never seen murder charges bound over to a grand jury, instead of being handled by the local courts, let alone bound over to a grand jury, nothing done with the charges at the grand jury level, and then resurfacing once another person is dead. It seems maybe it’s either one big CF of officials not knowing how to operate the legal system (highly doubtful) OR JK maybe served another purpose for PC.

JK’s criminal record is extensive. I cannot understand how someone with a criminal record such as his, who is also a named suspect in the murder of an elderly woman could have ever been allowed out of jail. Let alone, he was then later present at the suspicious death of yet another individual, who coincidentally is a Rhoden.

I’m trying to find reasons for all of that and I don’t know of any unless he is one of the squirrels and he went rogue. That’s just a thought/theory. That may very well NOT be the case. But something doesn’t add up.

It makes no sense. I’ve personally never seen murder charges bound over to a grand jury, instead of being handled by the local courts, let alone bound over to a grand jury, nothing done with the charges at the grand jury level, and then resurfacing once another person is dead. It seems maybe it’s either one big CF of officials not knowing how to operate the legal system (highly doubtful) OR JK maybe served another purpose for PC.

JK’s criminal record is extensive. I cannot understand how someone with a criminal record such as his, who is also a named suspect in the murder of an elderly woman could have ever been allowed out of jail. Let alone, he was then later present at the suspicious death of yet another individual, who coincidentally is a Rhoden.

I’m trying to find reasons for all of that and I don’t know of any unless he is one of the squirrels and he went rogue. That’s just a thought/theory. That may very well NOT be the case. But something doesn’t add up.

The charges dropped in the Hayslip case were related to using her credit cards, IIRC. Has PCSO even gotten the bone fragments tested so they can declare Bernice murdered? They've never officially declared that yet until this article. Talk about zero accountability to the public or family.

The charges dropped in the Hayslip case were related to using her credit cards, IIRC. Has PCSO even gotten the bone fragments tested so they can declare Bernice murdered? They've never officially declared that yet until this article. Talk about zero accountability to the public or family.
Do we know if Tracy is her only child? I’ve never seen any family members speak out on Bernice’s behalf and the only relative I’ve ever seen mentioned is Tracy, when she was named a suspect for the misuse of Credit cars and collecting Ms. Hayslip’s social security.

Do we know if Tracy is her only child? I’ve never seen any family members speak out on Bernice’s behalf and the only relative I’ve ever seen mentioned is Tracy, when she was named a suspect for the misuse of Credit cars and collecting Ms. Hayslip’s social security.

No idea.

I wonder if we should consider this latest news article to be official verification from LE that Bernice was murdered? If so, we can ask the Mods to move this thread to Crimes in the News, right?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Acalvert
Back