Man smashes three priceless vases in museum; points at shoelace, says, "There it is,

A CLUMSY visitor to a Cambridge museum has destroyed a set of priceless 300-year-old Chinese vases after tripping on his shoelace.

The three Qing vases, dating from the late 17th or early 18th century, had stood on a windowsill at the Fitzwilliam Museum in Cambridge, southeast England, for at least 40 years. Their prominent position made them among its best known artefacts, the UK Daily Telegraph reported today.
The report was accompanied by a photo, taken by another visitor, of the culprit, an unnamed man in his forties, attempting to pick himself up among the porcelain debris after the accident, which happened on an unspecified day last week.

Steve Baxter, another visitor who saw the accident, was quoted as saying: "We watched the man fall as if in slow motion. He landed in the middle of the vases and they splintered into a million pieces.

"He was still sitting there stunned when staff appeared. Everyone stood around in silence, as if in shock. Then the man started talking. He kept pointing to his shoelace and saying, 'There it is, that's the culprit'."

We've been to local places with "priceless" items exhibited and I'm always amazed that someone or something (like my kids or my purse!) hasn't done something like this poor fellow.

I also have to wonder if he might have done it on purpose, you never know!

In any case, if they are so precious, these items need to be protected!:doh:

I was thinking the same thing??

If so priceless why were they out in the open? WHy not in Cases?

Good point.Museums should keep valuable items out of the reach of clumsy viewers.Most I have been to manage to do this with ropes,so not an expensive solution.i WOULD GUESS A 300 YR OLD VASE COSTS A TAD MORE THAN A ROPE....lol

Amraann said:
I was thinking the same thing??

If so priceless why were they out in the open? WHy not in Cases?

Exactly...poor guy.

Hoping that they were copies. When my husband and I went to Pompeii there were several copies of ancient artifacts there but most of it was the originals because they could not be easily moved. I read that one of the most detailed frescos that we had seen was stolen some time last year.

It makes me sad and sick that people feel so entitled that they would steal something that belongs to everyone.

I am guessing the museum's insurance policy will cover and that the guy will probably be banned for life from the museum ;)

concernedperson said:
Being the clutz of the world I can relate. I am not around any sacred treasures, thank goodness.
Wait a minute. I thought I held that title.:confused: :razz: :p

I thought I was the klutz of the world...:D My family used to call me Kristen Klutzmore (my mom still does).

Paradise said:
I thought I was the klutz of the world...:D My family used to call me Kristen Klutzmore (my mom still does).
LOL

My mom called me "Crash"!

So I guess we won't be meeting up someday at the local museum?!

So what's wrong with that? My dad says that PRICELESS THINGS AREN'T WORTH ANYTHING..... and he's serious. He doesn't understand why people pay millions for priceless things. :p YES, English is his second language.

LOL... what do they do in this kind of situation, fine someone for being clumsy...?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni
Back